WTB - Wavien collars

Looking to buy any size Wavien collar(s) or similar spherical reflector with hole.

Post or message me the size and condition of the reflector(s) and how much your asking price is :slight_smile:

PS- No matter how old this post gets, unless I specifically say Iā€™m done buying, please let me know what youā€™ve got available!

Good luck!

I mean it!!

Cheers,
Nico

I hope you find what your after as I love what you build. :slight_smile:

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

Maybe some stock spherical reflector (like from Optiforms) would work from you?

I donā€™t have a ā€œwavienā€ for you, but if you find a spherical glass mirror with the right focal length, itā€™s easy to drill out the center with a $10 diamond hole saw, preferably in a lathe.

focal length?

If itā€™s truly spherical, then the ā€˜focal lengthā€™ is the distance from the reflecting surface to the radial center of the sphere.

The only stock ones from optiforms have a very large opening, so they only collect a few degrees of light :frowning:
Getting a custom one will cost like $5k.

Thanks for the tip!

Correct. But it doesnā€™t need to be exactly half a sphere to be called a spherical mirror. You can get a mirror based on a bigger sphere that is cut down in diameter, so the focal point is in front of the actual mirror edge. The focal point hasnā€™t moved, but parts of the mirror is gone. But if you want to be very specific, I guess the correct terminology for this is effective focal length, as it is listed here: https://www.edmundoptics.com/optics/optical-mirrors/focusing-concave-mirrors/concave-spherical-mirrors/

I knew what you meant. I was just being pedantic because Iā€™m bored. My tired mind thought it was funny at the moment. :person_facepalming:

Pretty sure that any round mirror is called a spherical mirror, the one that is exactly half is called hemispherical, which means ā€œhalf of a sphereā€.

I wonder if Wavien collars work with LEPā€™s? I have 2 that Iā€™d like to use on somethingā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

In principle yes, but the light source from a LEP is many times smaller than from a led, so 1) the optical quality of the collar must be so good that the image of the light source produced by it is as small as the light source itself (or else the collar just produces an extra halo around the hotspot without much added throw) and 2) the alignment of the collar in all 3 dimensions must be an order of magnitude more precise to get the image exactly over the source.