Wuben X2 Review - A rectangular EDC done right

Hello everyone! Ever since I’ve started reading about flashlights, BLF was always a goldmine of information for me. Today, I’m glad to create my first post here and hopefully give something back to the community. :grin:
This is also my first full review, if you have any suggestions or criticisms, please reply below.

Disclaimer:
This flashlight was send to me by Wuben free-of-charge for review. I don’t earn any money from the sale of Wuben products.

Most flashlights on the market share a very similar design. Tube-shaped, single li-ion cell, one emitter and a rubbery switch. Well, I think you already noticed that the X2 has some unique attributes that make it stand out. Read on!

• Wuben X2 flashlight
  • Red silicone diffuser
  • Lanyard/USB-C Cable
  • Manual

The Wuben X2 comes in a white box with a “double door” opening design.

Right after opening, we are greeted with the manual.

Below the manual we can find the Wuben X2 with its accessories fitted inside of a foam insert.

The X2 features an unusual host with a double-cell configuration (2x14500). Because of this, the host itself has a rectangular shape. Combined with the small size and cutouts near the head, you can hold it quite comfortably.

Here’s a picture with the diffuser attached. Fits snug onto the head.

The X2 features a clip and a lanyard hole.

The clip isn’t too stiff and lets you clip the flashlight in and out of your pocket quite easily. It doesn’t seem like it would come out by itself either.

Below is a picture with the flashlight and my phone in a fairly small pocket. Both fit together, which is how I usually EDC my flashlight.

It uses a regular clip, which works quite well, but I’d like to see a deep carry clip also included in the box too.

The X2 is quite short, it should easily fit in shallow pockets and shouldn’t bulge out too much because of the rectangular shape. I think it’s important to mention that, size-wise, it will be wider and may occupy more sideways space than a standard 18650 flashlight.

There sadly isn’t a magnet in the tail-cap. I personally find it quite useful to have.

The X2 also comes with a lanyard, which doubles as a USB-C cable. The lanyard is quite long, definitely for carrying around the neck (the flashlight is quite light weight, so I can definitely see this as a use-case). The lanyard seems quite well made, it also features an 80cm ruler.

Length: 85mm
Width: 39mm
Height: 20mm

Below you will be able to see it compared to other flashlights:

L to R: Lumintop FWAA, Wuben X2, Convoy T3 Copper, Emisar D4V2, Convoy S2+

Sideways.
L to R: Lumintop FWAA, Wuben X2, Convoy T3, Emisar D4K, Convoy S2

Here it is compared to its bigger brother, the X1.

X2’s switch is unusual. It’s a metallic blue plate that actuates a switch underneath. It also doubles as a cover for the USB-C port.
By lifting the plate, we see the USB-C port and the switch.

The switch itself has a good click, no criticism from me here. The plate itself is being held down by magnets on springs.
Below, the UI section of the manual:

x2UI

The UI also features mode brightness configuration. You can modify the brightness of each mode to match your preference. Sadly, we can’t modify the amount of modes like in Anduril UI, but this is better than nothing.

The flashlight has 3 modes in rotation (5lm-100lm-400lm). You can modify them in a range visible below:

Low: 5-100lm
Med: 100-400lm
High: 400-800lm

To modify the mode, turn the flashlight on and select the mode you want to modify. Then do 2H (click and hold), the flashlight will smoothly change the brightness inside of the mode’s range (ramp up and then go the other direction). Let go when it’s at the brightness you want that mode to have.

The Wuben X2 is available with two different leds. The black version uses Osram P9 5000K emitters, while all the other versions use the LH351D.
My version uses three Samsung LH351D 5000K emitters in a OP reflector.

The led combined with the reflector form a rectangular spill pattern with rounded edges, as seen below.

The beam is quite floody. ~2.8cd/lm. I find the beam pattern useful for lighting up your path while walking. The beam lights up the sides well, while cutting off the top, preventing you from blinding others as easily.

It can also be held sideways, to make a vertical beam-pattern.

First, comparison with 14500 lights: Lumintop FWAA and Convoy T3.
I also added in how it looks like when the Wuben X2 is held sideways.

Here it is compared against slightly bigger lights: Emisar D4V2 SST20, Convoy S2+ 519a 5700K dedomed (OP reflector)

Below you can find a picture comparing the Wuben’s low mode (5lm) to the moonlight of the D4V2 and FWAA:

The X2 really needs a 1lm (or less) moonlight mode. One that is available with a hold from off (1H), but not in the main mode rotation.

Please take my measurements with a grain of salt. My testing equipment isn’t very expensive and the results may not be 100% accurate.

Below is a runtime graph I measured using the ceilingbounce app on my phone and an “integrated shoebox”. I set the highest measured output as 1800lm and rest of the measured values based on that.

For its size, the X2 stabilizes well. 800lm sustained in such a small flashlight is quite good. It doesn’t heat up quickly on Turbo, unlike some of my hotrods (FWAA, D4V2).

I measured throw using a Uni-T UT383S lux meter at 6,34 meters. Measurement taken at 30 seconds.
I measured 144 meters ANSI (5184cd), that’s more than Wuben’s claimed 128 meters!

CCT and CRI measurement using my Opple Light Master.
I’m not sure why Low has a lower Duv than Turbo. Perhaps it’s the Opple measurments being inaccurate.

The USB-C port can be found under the switch.

The indicator light can show the battery charge and also indicate when the flashlight is charging.

The battery indicator lights up for 5 seconds after turning the flashlight on.

When plugged in, the indicator light will light up red.

When done charging, it will turn blue.

The flashlight itself uses a 2x14500 battery pack. From what I see, even after unscrewing the tail, the cells can’t be easily replaced. The battery pack is soldered with wires to the driver.

I’d much rather see a two cell bay that would spring open (like in some DSLR cameras) or an easily replaceable battery-pack. This would minimize the “down-time” of the flashlight, as we could always swap in a second set of fully charged cells and put the drained ones to charge.
Check out Tim McMahon’s disassembly of the Wuben X2 with a good look on the battery pack: Low voltage protection! Wuben X2 Copper - YouTube

.+ Well designed host.
.+ Great performance.
.+ Simple UI with programmable modes.
.+ Available in many materials and colors.
.+ A smart combination of the USB-C cover with the switch.
.+/- No magnet in the tail-cap.
.- Non-replaceable battery-pack.
.- No moonlight mode.
.- Slight tint-shift caused by the LH351D leds.

The Wuben X2 is quite unusual. There aren’t many flashlights with this kind of cell configuration on the market and I can see appeal for sure. The X2 combines the thickness of a 14500 flashlight, the output of a 18650 light and a capacity of two 14500 cells. Adding in a nice host and an efficient driver, this is definitely an option to be considered.

The Wuben X2 is available for purchase at EDC Flashlight, Ultralight Outdoor Lifestyle | Wuben Official Store (affiliated link)*
Wuben has also given me a discount code: GRZYBEK for 10% off.

I don’t earn money from the sale of Wuben’s products. The link has an affiliate at the end, so that Wuben can track sales and clicks coming from my review.
I have discussed this with the BLF Admin sb56637 and was given permission, as I don’t earn anything from the affiliated link.

3 Thanks

Very thorough review with great beamshots! I have the X1. It’s by far my favorite pure flooder, able to maintain 2,500 lumen for about 2 hours. That’s due to the very quiet fan built into the the host, not blowing externally on the host.

Wuben has really impressed me with the X1, and has me salivating over their other attractive hosts like this X2.

1 Thank

Awesome review and first post! Welcome to BLF.

1 Thank