【Wurkkos HD10 update】Design together Wurkkos AA/14500 Light/headlamp-trail production test~

What does “need” have to do with any of this?

:rofl:

5 Thanks

Sure, we cannot ignore the “OOOOOO, OOOOO, SHINY” aspect of human nature. Especially where marketing is so important in the formula.

So maybe a better question would be, why not just ditch the aux LEDs? Make the design much simpler and potentially better without giving up anything in the way of utility. Maybe I am a flashlight Scrooge… but in full discloser, the AUX lighting on all of my flashlights that have the “feature” is turned off.

3 Thanks

Oh you know the need. The primal urge to have one more.

Like my need for pretty magenta aux lights.

3 Thanks

In most aspects I am a libertarian… If one likes them… great. But would the lack of AUX LEDs on a headlight keep you from buying it?

I have a bunch of headlights. None have AUX LEDs, I can’t say that has ever kept me from using any of them when I just need light.

I prefer lights that make their location known in the dark.

6 Thanks

I like RGB voltage for checking the battery level at a glance, on a headlamp it can be checked when wearing it by turning it off momentarily and checking the reflected color on the hand.
This doesn’t necessarily cannibalise on other features, it mostly increases the cost a little because more assembly, I even added front RGB aux on several reflector based lights with a very simple solution (flex board).

3 Thanks

I used to do that too, but since I started turning it on for my 8C_Quick_Aux_Switch mod, I confess I have been leaving them on more and more… it really helps to find the light by the bedside in the middle of the night, for example.

2 Thanks

Yes, yes, yes.

1 Thank

Out of most design choices, an efficient CC buck(/boost) driver is most important for a 14500 headlamp for me.

The battery is already so small for a headlamp that is used for extended periods. Every extra minute of runtime matters. Additionally, you can avoid uncomfortable heat, and have higher sustained lumens, both critical for a headlamp.

I skipped the Skilhunt H150 because it is no more efficient (on a 14500) than the linear driver in my Emisar D2, which at least is a dual channel Andruil light.

1 Thank

Genuine question for the folks that want aux and Anduril in this light - why would you buy it (as currently specced) over a D2? Pricing, I guess? I feel like I’m missing something

1 Thank

speaking just for myself: Price, yes (#0) – but also:

#1) much better MCU in the form of the AT1616;

#2) compatible with the much cheaper and simpler, more compact and more reliable GChart 3-pin UPDI flashing kit;

#3) Always great support from @Wurkkos_Terry here in BLF and elsewhere;

#4) Great shipping experience from Wurkkos, specially to my current location (Chile).

I’ve read Hank is also excellent at #3 and possibly #4, but (due to #0, #1 and #2) I’ve not purchased any of his products so far (despite being sorely tempted more than once), so I don’t have direct experience – but both my Wurkkos purchases were flawless, so I’m sticking with Wurkkos for now, and plan to continue to do so while at least Hank’s lights remain unchanged re: #1 and #2.

1 Thank

I like the new design. I think the new design is much better than the previous one.

Here are some of my preferences in the order that I consider important:
I would like RGB AUX switch in Anduril version.
USB-C charging would be nice.
I am fine with only li-ion. AA support is not a deal breaker for me. Especially if I can charge the battery via USB-C charging.

If it comes with an efficient switch mode driver, that would be reason enough for me.

2 Thanks

My opinion for the upcoming HD10, it is better to place a magnetic tail than the USB port. The switch usually is place somewhere on the head area. You could provide battery with or without USB port. It’s not a big deal.

I’ve read this “thread” or what it’s called and since I’m still a bit confused on what we’re making is this basically it:

Right angle TS10
RGB aux
Anduril 2
TS10 switch at the top
Magnet in tailcap
Good boost driver with high highs and low lows
14500 battery with usb port or no port?
AA/14500

Is that it, or have I got some things wrong? Personally, as long as it has the first 5 things I listed i’d buy one or two.

3 Thanks

I can’t wait for release!
For me most important is Anduril and compact size / low weight. There is not a lot 14500 angle headlamps in that config.
Also would be nice:

• AUX
  • dual channel ex. for red LED
  • USB charging
  • AA compatibility (not necessary but nice)

I think this is where Wurkkos+the community have converged, yes.

Yes, this is what we want to achieve, but we may give up some things, at the last

1 Thank

Hopefully it’s not quality control. I’ve read some disconcerting posts on another forum relative to issues with the TS10 Ti release from a quality standpoint. Primarily the complaints center around poor assembly, but most disheartening are the reports of marked increase of greenish tint in the 4000K version as well as optic height that is creating issues with bezel fit. I have one floating somewhere in the logistics chain so I will reserve judgment until it arrives, but I admit some anxiety with this headlamp project now that folks have shared their issues with the most recent release.

Edit: received the Ti yesterday. My unit is fine construction/cosmetically (maybe just a hair wider head/bezel gap), but there’s a huge difference in CCT and tint of this bin of CSP2323 4000K. If I had to guess, I’d say closer to 4400K and definitely farther above BBL.

1 Thank