【Wurkkos News】New arrival Wurkkos TD01 1000 meters long throw 21700 Tactical Light

What driver it uses? @Wurkkos_Terry FET? BUCK?

2 Thanks

Cool, it looks like a budget acebeam L19. Likely a FET driver I guess, but it would be nice if not. If it’s FET then the L21B seems the better buy unless you really just want the TIR for fun. It is neat.

I’d probably instabuy this if it had an SBT-90 version. Or maybe XHP70.3 HI 5000k

1 Thank

Tbh I much prefer wurkkos/sofirn’s tactical UI to convoys 12-group. Imo it’s superior especially for my use case. The 2 groups are just perfect for me. I was hoping this TD01 would turn out to be a larger C8L which isn’t a bad thing.

But I guess it doesn’t matter, they just responded on FB that it’s a FET. :roll_eyes:

Can you explain to a noob why that matters. I know it’s discussed often, but what’s the actual difference you expect? Tia

In simple terms, buck and boost drivers are more efficient. They’re able to sustain high lumens for much longer than unregulated drivers, sometimes hours.

An unregulated driver, which may start high, cannot sustain and will drop to very low lumens quickly. For e.g it will start at 4000 lumens but then drop down within minutes/seconds and finally end up sustaining only 100-200 lumens.

Compared to a good buck/boost driver, it will start on 4000 lumens for a minute or two, then gradually drop to maybe 800-1000 lumens, which some models can sustain for 2 hours or so.

Sofirn and wurkkos actually do have some buck or boosted lights in their catalogue (Ts22, sp35 [not the sp35t], C8L) but there are only a handful. Usually cost is the reason, as they are budget brands.

2 Thanks

Why did you not use your new RGB rubber button on it?

A big advantage to me, especially for a light like this, is that buck and boost drivers can achieve higher brightness on a lower battery than a FET-driven light.

So a buck/boost driven light will be able to achieve max output until the battery reaches ~3.7-3.4v (~60-40%) depending on the driver/LED. On a FET light, the max brightness is only achieved when the battery is at a full 4.2v, and will drop as the battery drains.

This is a big deal on a thrower like the TD01 IMO. You might only be using it for a minute or so at a time, but you don’t want a thrower to lose throw the more you use it.

That’s why I say the convoy L21B is the better buy. It uses a nice buck driver, so it’ll maintain max performance for longer, on top of the advantages darosk laid out - running cooler, sustaining higher brightness, etc… It also throws ~170m further, which isn’t nothing.

This TD01 has a few subjective advantages - dual switch UI, usb-c charge port on the light (though the L21B will accept 21700s that have built-in USB-C ports), a neat TIR, a forward clicky switch, 3mm narrower bezel, and 18mm shorter. But most of that isn’t a big deal, and none of it outweighs the advantages of the L21B in performance, and performance is paramount on a thrower.

Bummer. Honestly if it was $10 more, but had a buck driver, I’d probably get one.

My major gripe with the Wurkkos/sofirn tactical UI is the mode spacing. On most of them, there’s waaay too big of a jump between the eco and low. This TD01 doesn’t seem so bad (and lower modes aren’t as big of a deal on a dedicated thrower like this), but for example, the C8L goes from ~5 lumens to ~100 lumens, and the FC12 goes from 1 lumen to 80 lumens. That’s pretty terrible for my use. There needs to be something in between.

But other than that, I agree. It’s a decent UI. I like my Yakorsei GD12 which has an earlier version of that UI. I do prefer a decent dual switch UI over the convoy 12-group.

But for a thrower I’m not really bothered by it. I have my L21B configured in 1%-20%-100% with mode memory off, and its fast and easy to use, basically gives you a double tap for turbo. I would like a forward clicky switch for it though.

thanks

Hey dude, heard your voice. Wurkkos engineer write the Buck & FET on TD01’s manual

3 Thanks

I wonder why in various Wurkkos official stores you guys don’t include the Buck FET driver in the specifications.

The people who are interested in the Wurkkos TD01 are mostly flashaholics and for them an efficient driver like buck/boost will make them even more confident to order or recommend the Wurkkos TD01 to non-flashaholics.

This reminds me of the Sofirn SP35T, where we were told by Jackie at sofirn that it was a buck+FET driver (and I stupidly bought one on that premise) but it turned out what they meant was the charging circuit was buck, but the actual flashlight/LED itself was just FET-driven.

NO ONE should order this on the assumption that it is a buck driver until we see pictures or runtime graphs proving otherwise.

Terry, if you just repeat what the engineers say, you are potentially misleading people.

Terry, this is what we want to know: can you personally confirm, with 100% certainty, that the LED is being driven by a buck driver? Is the output flat over time like the TS22, or does it drift down over time, like the TS25?

^(Yes I know the TS22 is a boost driver, it’s just a Wurkkos example of a regulated light)

2 Thanks

This light looks great! Waiting on the driver conformation…

Does it tailstand? It looks like the flairs on the tailcap are there but the button is taller than the sides of the tail.

Based on that image, I’d say no, it looks very very unlikely it’ll tailstand. I guess the flares are just there for a lanyard and to somewhat mitigate accidental presses.

It does have a cool design though. I do hope it is buck-driven, but I seriously doubt it.

If it were buck-driven, even if it were ~$50-55, it would be a serious convoy L21B and Acebeam L19 competitor. With a FET driver, IMO that relegates it to mostly-toy status.

Acebeam changed their tailcaps on the V2 L series so the cap extended all the way past the button. In addition to tailstanding, it is better against accidental activation. It’s a simple but worthwhile change. I would highly suggest Wurkkos takes a look at this for future versions/lights.

Yes! They had a very similar design on the older T36, and the L19 V1 tailcap is similar (identical?) to the V2. The ‘tripod’ style design is great - super stable tailstanding and still very easy access to the button.

Hi, are there any deals for this light?
Lowest I got is 41$ (36$ but shipping is 5$ so 41$ in total). 35$ (or less) with shipping included is my top limit.

Got it! I will find our laboratory partner to get the runtime list of TD01. Waiting for me ; )

1 Thank

Just a suggestion, my man Terry. Maybe if your lab partners can release real runtime tests together with your flashlights, I’m sure many of us would appreciate it. Especially if it’s accurate and trustworthy. Then Wurkkos would be doing something that almost no other flashlight company is doing - giving honest and truthful data about their products. I think that would set Wurkkos apart.

There are reasons companies don’t do this - I understand. But I think it would be really unique if Wurkkos did something like this. Wurkkos already doing great things in the flashlight market, wish you the best.

4 Thanks

Hey, leave something for us reviewers to do. :rofl:

1 Thank