Wurkkos TS10 red aux LEDs wavelength?

I’m considering to buy the Wurkkos TS10 with red aux LEDs. Does anyone know the wavelength of the aux LEDs? :slight_smile:

I don’t know but it doesn’t go to IR maybe over 620nm at darker but not up to IR if that’s what you’re looking for.

I also don’t know what led it uses it’s very small 06 or 08 I haven’t opened it, just looking at pictures.

Edit: in this publication they talk about the LEDs they use are the 0805.

https://www.reddit.com/r/flashlight/comments/1211vb2/wurkkos_ts10_in_8_aux_colors/

The most applied IR-leds are in the 850nm and 940nm wavelenghts. I have a light with an 850nm emitter. When I look in the reflector, I see a tiny red dot. That’s all. A 940nm light is totally invisible.

My IR is shown in Red.

I just assumed you were asking about that.

And they are only standard red led not IR led.

It was a guess, it doesn’t clarify why you are asking the wavelength.

I’m looking for a red light that doesn’t produce light at wavelengths shorter than 630-640nm, so I can use it to maintain scotopic vision at night. Because LEDs are not entirely monochromatic, the dominant wavelength should be somewhat longer.

You won’t see anything with those LEDs, I had the same idea and at maximum it doesn’t illuminate more than putting the palm of the hand and in complete darkness.

Its use is more as an indicator.

If you want it to illuminate something, ask for a brighter color, ice blue or green, I think they illuminate more.

Someone who has it can confirm it.

The red in low you have to look straight ahead to see it and in high it shines a little brighter but not to illuminate.

“You won’t see anything with those LEDs, I had the same idea and at maximum it doesn’t illuminate more than putting the palm of the hand and in complete darkness.”

Well, that’s perfect. It should produce just enough light to read a map when it’s really dark. A map with stars and constellations and all that. :slight_smile:

But it’s important the flashlight doesn’t produce light at shorter wavelengths than about 630-640nm.

Most probably it does. Get a proper red flashlight - one with only red LEDs where you can change their brightness. Look at Emisar/Noctigon, there you have the choice for deep red.

I just did a test TS10 auxiliary red led in a darkened bathroom does not light up the bathroom you do not see what is there.

But a notebook 30cm from the flashlight you can read the text if you move it further away you lose the red beam.

The bathroom is completely dark and does not illuminate it, it only illuminates what comes close to the flashlight from 30cm.

I hope it helps you, I took a picture but it is not real the camera raises the ISO and it seems to illuminate a lot this leads you to see it unreal.

Edit: that’s if the flashlight is a beauty!

Yes, if you can read something close to the flashlight, that’s all what I need. Thanks for trying, appreciated ! :slight_smile:

1 Thank

Yes, a dedicated red flashlight is a possibility. But it’s for a hiking tour later this summer, my backpack is already large and heavy. Every ounce counts, so it would be nice to have just one “dual use” flashlight, for general use around camp and to use it to read a map.

Unless a dedicated red flashlight is really tiny and lightweight, I’ll have a look at that.

The TS10 Aux lights are not for use to see things, they are not aimed into a useful beam.

On left is an AAA light into which I installed a 660nm Red aka “Deep Red”. It is at 7 lumens. The TS10 is more orange, I would say 620nm, at 0.2 lumens on the highest mode. I cannot even see my feet with the TS10 on High brightness Red Aux.

I suggest a light with a red LED such as this HD15 but I do not have that light, so I cannot tell you the nanometers, it is most likely 620nm, just a guess.

You might be better served to order a light with “Deep Red” (660nm) LEDs from Convoy…

or order a D2 w 660nm

Maybe you can get a good used Nitecore EA11 (14500) or EC11(18350) somewhere.

Thanks, I’ll look into that.

The HD15R looks like a nice light, but:

The Emisar D2 seems to use the same LED?

That is a great chart!.. so it IS a 660nm LED… thats great!

yes… that is a normal curve for a “Deep Red”, 660nm LED

Yes… but by the time it gets to 630 it is not putting out much at all. I think that, if you want something that cuts off faster you will need some sort of filter. If you go to a longer wavelength, you start to lose something you can actually see with.

I have been into astronomy for years, though not active in the last few. As of when I was going to star parties and the local club dark site, everyone was using the deep red (660 nm) lights, but just keeping them at the lowest usable intensity.
That seemed to work well. So with the chart above and at 10 lumens, the output at 630 nm and shorter would be negligible.

2 Thanks

Last night going through my stuff, electronics related. Found several old red LEDs, I have some of these left:

Kingbright L-934SRD-J, 3mm. Peak at 660nm, looks like no light at shorter wavelengths than about 635nm. According to the datasheet, 1200mcd and 60 degrees angle. Let’s try what I can do with those.