Wurkkos TS30S + monster LED SBT90.2 = $60 4750lm 1km SUPER-Thrower. Comparison w/ TS30S Pro & other lights incl. the :-) insane 13000 lm Nightwatch Valkyrie. (Summary & measurements on P. 1)

I agree on both lights…
Has anyone seen the first generation light for sale anywhere?

2 Thanks

I am very glad I bought 2 x Gen1s.

IME a light with single smooth reflector (vs orange peel and TIR) is prone to have artifacts such as rings, donut hole, etc. It’s likely not going to have that perfectly homogenous beam of a Convoy S21D with 60 Bead TIR. I will post beamshots to show these artifacts next but first a couple good discussions I saw recently (btw in case you don’t know first poster @ToyKeeper is author of Anduril):

Observations:

1. The beam does have a lot of rings. But it’s still a fun light. It just pumps out so much of it. I set my stepdown to 55 degrees, as per advice from @Cannga.
  2. The “big case” free gift from Ali turned out to be a “small holster,” hahaha.
  3. I’ve never used Anduril in any form, and I’m loving Anduril 2. It’s fun to play around with, for sure. My 12-year-old and I have been chasing each other around the house with the light in tactical mode, terrorizing each other.

Questions for people smarter than I:

1. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a diffuser for the Pro? Or where to buy one? I’d appreciate any input.
  2. How much drain is the standby light (the button) if you run it on the high setting? It’s cool and all (especially set to blue), but if it’s killing the battery … no thanks. I’ll just set it to low or off.
  3. Was an 18650 adapter supposed to be included? Mine did not come with one. The ones I already have are too big to slide into the Pro, at least if I want to remove them later. That said, I stuck an 18650 battery in there without an adapter and it seemed to be fine. I’m not sure if it would rattle loose or not.

Rings=Bad.

Didn’t they test it before they released it?

What I find most interesting is in fatboy’s question above: the hotspot has two parts, colored center and white rim, which is not unusual, but in the TS30S Pro, there is a significant difference in brightness and/or color that makes that white ring really stands out. Much more so than in the other 3 throwers that I have, including TSPro 1st gen.

It is significant enough to be observed already by someone here besides me. Is it extremely annoying? No, especially if you shine hotspot on trees etc. vs a flat surface. Do I wish it’s not there? Yes. Problem in hotspot magnifies because it’s in central field, where your eyes concentrate.

Whether this is caused by misaligned LED I do not know. My light’s LED looks centered and nothing unusual about the height, only one place it could be. Is it the infamous donut hole? Probably not because it is intensely bright? For Wurkkos’s sake I hope fatboy’s and mine are the only 2 lights with this “unusual” beam profile.

https://i.imgur.com/3pWpQCy.jpg

Some better pictures from the web of the 2 part hotspot with “colored” center and white ring. In the thrower lights I have the pattern is seen easily with Smooth reflector, and much less with Orange Peel reflector and TIR.

In the TS30S Pro the white ring stands out much more than any other light I have.

Can anyone help a guy out?

Diffuser will decrease throw. Defeat the purpose of getting this light in first place. May I ask which part of beam profile bothers you the most?

Re. button light I measured but have forgotten and will confirm later. IIRC maybe around 2 mA high setting? I would like to say .2 mA for low setting but NOT sure at all.

No 18650 adapter included.

I was under the impression that a diffuser was fun to use with candle and lightning modes.

Button light’s current drain:

TS30S Pro:
Green bright 1.7 mA
Green dim 0.16 mA

TS30S
Green bright 1.5 mA
Green dim 0.14 mA

1 Thank

Yes, some people like and use the modes for fun. But there are many flashlights that would be much more suitable for playing with them. Maybe a smaller light like the TS25 or the like. Or maybe something that comes with, or has easily available diffusers.

I have a ts30 Pro that is to be delivered tomorrow. I have looked for a diffuser (I like to have them around for area lighting in an emergency). But have not found anything suitable. If you really want something, you may have to find someone that can do 3D printing and pay them to make you one.

Good luck, but don’t be disappointed if no one here can tell you where to buy one off of the shelf.

1 Thank

Sorry I mistakenly thought you were asking about diffuser film like DC Fix because you don’t like the beam profile. :man_facepalming: :slightly_smiling_face:

The Sofirn Q8 Plus (63 mm diameter) and Q8 Pro (59 mm head) have head diameters closest to TS30S Pro’s 61 mm and have diffusers that fit them on Sofirn web site.

I would check with Sofirn (or ask here on BLF) to confirm the diffusers are made of soft silicon. Best choice IMHO is soft silicon diffuser and the one made for 59 mm Q8 Pro should fit. Second choice is hard plastic then the one for 63mm Q8 plus with some padding might work. I have no experience with either but hope this helps.

1 Thank

I have some of each of those. Both are the soft Silicone. I am scheduled to get my TS30S Pro today. I can try them and post the results later today. For now, the one for the Q8 Pro is pretty tight, I think it would be a PIA to get on the TS30S Pro. I don’t have the Q8 Plus, I got those for my TS32 (~61mm). It fits but is a bit loose. Pretty sure it would fall off easily if bumped or dropped. The 59mm ones would not fit (easily anyway, though maybe they could be stretched) on the TS32.

Has someone measured the head diameter on the TS30S Pro?

I’m getting 60.5mm.

1 Thank

THX!

If mine shows up today (it says out for delivery, but lately my USPS delivery has been spotty), I will try them out and let everyone know what I find.

Sweet, thanks!

So I must say that, although I’m nowhere close to the flashlight aficionado that most of you guys are, this light DOES strike me as incredibly ringy. Mine has more than the photo above. It’s noticeable outdoors at night, indoors on a wall, pretty much everywhere. Now is this really a big deal in practical use? No. But if someone does come up with a not-too-complicated solution to resolve it, I might be willing to chase that down.

I dont kbow why they did not address this before releasing it. I can tolerate rings on a $20 light but not one of this caliber.

Well, it was a day late, but I got the light today. I tried those Sofirn Diffusers for the Q8 PRO and PLUS on the TS30S Pro. The one for the plus fits, but it is pretty loose. Holding the light reflector down, it falls off. The one for the Pro fits, but it is tight, so it is a bit fiddly to get on. You need to stretch it. But it stays on well. They are cheap, so you can try one of each without breaking the bank.
I would have to go with the one for the Q8 Pro if I was going to get only one.

But as I mentioned, this light is not one that I can see using a diffuser on…

1 Thank