Wurkkos TS30S + monster LED SBT90.2 = $60 4750lm 1km SUPER-Thrower. Comparison w/ TS30S Pro & other lights incl. the :-) insane 13000 lm Nightwatch Valkyrie. (Summary & measurements on P. 1)

I bought Samsung 30T to compare it with Samsung 40T in my Wurkkos TS30S. Using Texas Ace Lumen Tube, so far I’ve found no difference in Turbo start output between these 2 batteries. Will repeat test some more when I have time, but so far, no difference.

As previously reported, Samsung 40T, and now 30T, give a clear and “repeatable” ~15% increase in output over Wurkkos batteries (see result on first page of this thread).

Hello, Cannga.
Thanks for sharing your great works on this thread.
Quite surprising that your initial test of Samsung 30T did not show any meaningful difference. I wonder why.
However, are you planning to do a spring bypass and do a before-after brightness comparison again?
The resistance in the spring might influence the outcomes here. You know, if it turns out that the stock double spring can be further improved with a bypass, we can propose to Wurkkos to implement factory spring bypass for the future upgrade to this already great flashlight.

Also try cleaning the contact points as well.
Thanks again for the great thread. :slight_smile:

@Fleshlike, excellent points, thank you. After 30 years of high-end audio I am still liable to cause mishap or explosion with my soldering skill, so no plan to do spring bypass in any of my lights. Especially this one since it already has double springs in rear. Is it possible also that 40T has achieved the max possible current draw of this design?

I primarily try 30T out of curiosity and for bragging rights, to bring my 993m throw to 4 digit :innocent: . In actual use, I sometimes prefer Wurkkos battery for the higher 5000 mah capacity. I do plan to repeat 30T vs 40T with some of the “super lights” like Wurkkos TS32.

Another consideration for these small lights is that higher output would just bring faster stepdown. My 30 second ANSI throw may not increase with 30T. A nice AR lens such as the one I’m using OTOH has no such penalty (UCLp Acrylic: UCL Lens - Flashlightlens.com - Online Store), for about 3-4% gain.

Some preliminary numbers - this is going to be a fun comparison with TS30S. Lumintop has more output but from specs above TS30S should remain the king of throw. BTW why I bought this light? The high output LED SFN55, small size, side switch, USB-C charging. Only one other light has this combination and it was out of stock. But… probably the main reason was because it was on sale for so cheap (~36 bucks) I couldn’t resist lol.

6200 lm Turbo start with Samsung 30T (6500 lm with Nealgadgets’ Lishen battery). 26800 battery similar. Incredible number for such a small light. But thermal stepdown will be a problem in this small host, so maybe transient OMG-fun only? Nevertheless, 6200 is 6200. :+1: :slight_smile: .

The cute rabbit is bright but only drains 0.10 mA lasting 8 second, then 2 seconds of 0.36 mA, then back to 0.10 for 8. Beautiful light to my eyes and feels solid and great in hands. Nice matt black anodizing, which I prefer over the more shinny one seen in Wurkkos for example.

This one also shows up over the Holidays. It is a gorgeous looking flashlight in green. The LED, SFH 55, is another high-power Chinese emitter. In fact one with the highest power rating from the table above. It looks humongous, and is humongous at 11x10 mm. Far and away the largest LED I’ve ever seen. The hotspot as a result is very large, and bright.

Kidding aside, it’s not really a Wurkkos TS30S’s competitor because of the large size. But the numbers between the 2 lights are intriguing. I have some prelim numbers but haven’t tested in actual use yet.

I took the Lishen battery from Nightwatch Chaos (from Nealgadgets), and it rocks. Very clearly THE highest output among all batteries I tested (vs Samsung 30T and 40T). I hope I have some time to play with this bad boy and write some evaluation.

We’ll see how the very powerful Mateminco does, but so far as I acquire more lights, the Wurkkos TS30S remains firmly on top of the list due to its unique combination of size, throw, output, sustained output, and above all its trump card, the give-away price. My updated humble opinion:

1b. (tied with 1a) Wurkkos TS30S with SBT90.2. In some hobbies, car, photography, stereo, etc., once in a while a product, whether by luck (kidding) or by talent, hits that magical perfection level. This humble $60 light is such a light and has proven to be FORMIDABLE competitor to all the newer lights in my collection. The Wurkkos rocks my Opple meter by clocking nearly 1 km throw (holy macaroni). The 4000 plus lm output means fantastic brightness, but more importantly, this brightness is well sustained. All of this in a smallish form that fits jacket pocket is the magic of modern LED and flashlight technology. The beam profile is “balanced”: some super throwers have an extremely bright hotspot but little to no spill, resulting in a very narrow field of vision, the Wurkkos OTOH strikes a perfect balance between hotspot (throw) and spill (flood) click here. I use this light often during my evening walk and the beam is an absolute thing of beauty: a bright central beam piercing darkness like a light saber. The beam color at 5100K is very nicely warm (as opposed to harsh flat blue) and has a green tint that I forgive in a thrower LED and, as OCD picky as I am, not a hindrance at all in actual use (vs white walling). Nothing on the market comes close, not at 60 bucks.

I have both and the Wurkkos blows away thr Astrolux. Not to mention the Astrolux is $140 whereas the Wurkkos is $60.

The TS30S is an absolute steal at that price.

I recently came across this,
https://www.wurkkos.com/products/wurkkos-4000mah-high-drain-21700-battery-10c-discharge-40a?VariantsId=10378
So Wurkkos now sells a more powerful 21700 cell, Lishen LR2170LA rewrap. (I don’t know since when).
Should they start bundling this cell with the TS30S instead of the usual 5000 mAh one? :wink:

Definitely. Significant increase in Turbo-start output when I changed OEM battery to Samsung 40T. But…. $11, isn’t that a touch (a lot) over-priced?

BTW I recently got Samsung 30T and Nealsgadgets’ Mystery Lishen 21700 monster that came with my Nightwatch Chaos. In a few days will remeasure to try for 1000m plus throw! :+1:

(Mystery because he calls it 21700HP but apparently there is no such thing.)

Pardon me if you’ve already done it but if what you have is FT03S, performance might increase greatly by increasing Tmax in thermal configuration.

I have Mateminco PD30S which I believe is the same host as Astrolux FT03S, except mine has different LED, the monster-size SFH55. I’ve had to jack up Tmax to 60° C for this light to come to life and sustain its brightness.

This morning I was measuring throw of all the lights I recently got. Just for kick I re-tested the Wurkkos TS30S, but with the humble Wurkkos 5000 mAh battery instead of Samsung 40T I had been using in the past.

Got 1062 m at Turbo start, and 997 m at 30 sec. Excellent numbers; the little things that make me happy :+1: :slight_smile: . Glad that I am getting consistent numbers compared to previous measures (993 m for TS30). For Sofirn IF22a, last measure 626 m, this time 635 m.

I am not sure, but I think having the low-power Wurkkos battery helps because a low output at start leads to less stepdown, and “paradoxically” higher output at 30 sec. But this is just a theory from an amateur tester, so please take with a grain of salt. I will test some more with the Neal’s mystery Lishen 2170HP and Samsung 30T when I have time.

So much for my theory - throw numbers from Wurkkos TS30S using Nealsgadgets mystery Lishen LR2170HP:

Turbo Start: 1137 m
30 second: 1030 m

Both Turbo start and 30 sec numbers easily highest that I’ve seen from my Wurkkos. On the very first try! That Lishen battery is the real thing; an absolute monster. Wish I had ordered more than the 2 that came with my Nightwatch Chaos. Only weak point is low capacity of 2800 mAh, and the modified button roof could cave in a little bit when used with flashlights other than the Nightwatch.

Agree, standalone it’s overpriced a lot. However, my idea was for Wurkkos to bundle it with the light at a little extra cost. Say, $60 if bundled with the 5000 mAh cell, and $65 with the 4000 mAh cell.
It might become harder to sell to non-enthusiasts who don’t have any idea about high drain batteries though… (why pay more for smaller capacity!?)
:-/

Anyway, the mystery Lishen intrigues me as well, more so when it outperforms Samsung 30T. Next challenger should be Molicel P45B :smiley:

Be very careful with information given by Google--Google is under no obligation to understand what it's talking about.

Given a deep reflector and shallow one with the same diameter, there is virtually no difference in intensity. The deeper one throws very slightly better because the LED's emission profile is not perfectly Lambertian and slightly favors frontal emission over sideways emission. You can make the reflector arbitrarily deep if you want, you won't gain any more throw.

It is also not true that more light is re-directed into the hotspot. With most reflectors, there's a hotspot, corona, and spill, and elongating the reflector mostly redirects the spill into the corona. The hotspot does not become tighter either.

Thanks; what a complicated topic, and yes that was a google search, though now I can’t find the source. Anyway, the reflectors below are from my 3 Getian GT-FC40 lights: M21B, M21F, and M21E (same LED, similar output, all 3 orange peel). The measurements are by me, so that maybe a grain of salt there. Could you please explain, if possible in simplest terms possible (no “Lambertian”) :slight_smile: :

1. Throw: M21E (324m) is much greater than M21F (273m) and M21B (262m). What is responsible for M21E’s clear throw advantage, diameter or depth? You seem to say it’s the diameter? Not too surprising that F and B are close together given the similar sizes?

2. Spill: What part of reflector dimensions that cause the spill of M21B to be larger and brighter than M21E? This is something I observed by instant A-B comparison and looking at the periphery of the spill. The difference appears very clear to me.

3. Hotspot: When comparing beamshot of M21E to that of M21B, my description is M21E’s hotspot has more defined border, and brighter obviously (increased throw). Is this something that you expect? The size of the hotspot stays the same? Is hotspot’s size defined by LED size?

Beamshots for above post - I believe taken at Turbo start.

1. The M21E's throw advantage comes purely from diameter.

2. Shallow reflector causes wider spill, and deep reflector causes narrow spill. The M21B has a narrower reflector, which explains the wider spill. However, the brightness of the spill in most cases has nothing to do with the reflector--it's almost exclusively dependent on the output of the emitter. Either M21B's spill only appears brighter but isn't actually, or it puts out more net lumens.

Another possibility is that the reflector is so small compared to the LED that the traditional hotspot/corona/spill trichotomy no longer holds--the corona might extend to the entire spill, making the "spill" more intense.

Here's one way for you to test it out: put the light on moonlight, and position yourself at the boundary of the spill and look into the light. Do you see just the bare LED emitting light, or do you also see parts of the reflector light up?

3. Given the same emitter, the M21E's large reflector will give the most focused and intense hotspot, no surprises there. Hotspot size is dependent on many factors, but there are simple relationships that hold when other factors are held fixed. In particular, fixing the same emitter and output, and fixing reflector proportions, larger reflector always implies smaller and more intense hotspot. If we instead fix the reflector and the output, smaller emitter implies narrower and more intense beam.

For the record, Lambertian just means that the brightness you observe is proportional to how much the emitter takes up your field of view, which is a very natural assumption for flat LEDs.

Thanks for the great explanation. I understand 1 and 3. Re. 2 the spill:

1. I assume you meant M21B is shallower? It’s narrower yes, but more importantly it’s shallower?
2. I see what you are trying to do with the test - determine whether reflection off of reflector contributes to spill? In addition to the direct light from emitter, as in picture below which shows the larger spill angle of M21B?

1. Good point, I should have clarified: by shallower I mean the height-to-diameter ratio is smaller. The angles you drew capture exactly why a shallower reflector gives a wider spill. Note that even with the same ratio, spill from a smaller reflector will have a more blurry boundary and thus be seen as slightly wider.
  2. That's exactly what I'm trying to test.

Got it. BTW, could you pls explain where the corona comes from? Reflected is hotspot, unreflected forward is spill, what forms the corona?

Yes the boundary is M21B is larger but only very slightly, like a foot when beamshot is ~20 ft diameter.

I took a picture from edge of spill. I also re-took beamshot to make sure I wasn’t seeing things; the spill of M21E oddly just so dark, consistent with what I see.