Wurkkos TS30S + monster LED SBT90.2 = $60 4750lm 1km SUPER-Thrower. Comparison w/ TS30S Pro & other lights incl. the :-) insane 13000 lm Nightwatch Valkyrie. (Summary & measurements on P. 1)

Bet it’s another FET+1 driver for low sustainable output. I’m completely over Wurkkos choosing short high lumen bursts and design over what’s most important. The FC13 was a complete fail with all 3 options only sustaining 2-300 lumens.

Small light, low thermal mass, with FET, are you surprised? I don’t have FC13 but have you tried to raise Tmax to 55° C?

I raised Tmax of all my Anduril lights from factory 45°C to 50-55°. That’s the only way that they could come close to for example Convoy’s sustained brightness.

BTW the new Convoy S21F has much “softer” algorithm than S21D. External temp much lower (vs S21D 60°C) and sustained brightness still good but not at S21D’s level.

Yeah, I just don’t increase the thermal limit when making reviews. Most other brands have the limit set to 45°C so really, you shouldn’t have to increase the limit for a decent out of the box experience.

I’ll be working with Simon to change the Convoy drivers to stepdown lower at X temp so they don’t get too hot. Turbo steps down at 50°C to High/35% and then there’s no further reduction. I’m going to push for a 2nd stepdown if the flashlight continues to heat up to 60°C down to Medium/10%

1 Thank

That’s interesting. Re. “most other brands” may I ask which other (non Anduril) brands have their Tmax set to 45 C?

Really curious about that because I have non Anduril Olight, Nitecore, Fenix and I am not sure but don’t think they make known their Tmax setting?

Geez, now I need to panic buy some Convoys because for some people the light gets too hot.
Same with Armytek, the V3 had great sustained brightness, reviewers cried it was hot and now the V4 gets barely warm and has shit sustained brightness.

Are you saying that 87°C isn’t an issue on the 4X18A after 30 minutes? 1Lumen and Tac Griz among others have an issue with the extreme temps on some models. I’m a Convoy dealer in New Zealand and it’s a massive problem.

Disregard my comment on the temp limit of other brands. Usually it’s set to 45-50°C for when they stepdown. I guess I was just making the case that you shouldn’t need to alter the temp for a good experience.

The Sofirn SP33 V2 used a 6V XHP50.2 with boost driver for 920 lumens for over 2 hours. The SP33 V3, same host, used a 3V XHP50.2 with FET+1 and sustainable output was 500 ish lumens. Even with a simple host, the driver still makes a rather large difference.

Yeah I understand the tough problem you have as a dealer. From my experience with Wurkkos TS21 etc., I’ve learned trying to put thousand plus lumens in small hosts with FET driver, let alone one as small as FC13, is just fighting the law of physics and losing. Customers are not going to be happy.

Maybe buck/boost driver would help, but then the light is not going to be 30 bucks and output might be less than the FET version. OTOH for the FET driver version, customers will likely complain of bad stepdown unless Tmax is increased. The Wurkkos TS21 is ultra-famous for horrible stepdowns. And FC13 is not any bigger. It seems like a no win situation with high output small host combination.

I found this runtime curve for SP33v3 on 1lumen. Don’t think it’s that nice of a curve either - a rollercoaster with frequent dip to 350, then 200-250 later:

When do you expect your light to arrive, ballpark?

Have you tried the tracking number yet?

Ordered on the 27th. Tracking number says it’s presently outbound from the Yanwen facility. That’s all I got. Basically, I have no idea when it’ll arrive.
I ordered a light from Fireflies a little over a week ago and it already got here.

Did that light (fireflies) ship from China, or, the USA warehouse?

Chinese box, but now that I think about it, I believe it was the USA warehouse. My bad.

For all the lucky owners of TS30S Pro who are not familiar with Anduril.

If you like better sustained output then the Tmax setting has to be increased from 45 C to around 55 C. The TS30S is awesome as is but this makes it stay brighter longer.

Basically hold for the second flash and click 25 times and that will result in Tmax of 55 (30+25).

1 Thank

I thi k all the Wurrkos are like this.

I’m surprised that anybody’s already received theirs. Can’t wait to see comparo shots between the old and new versions.

Judging by getting stuff from Wurkkos in the past, I probably have 2 weeks to wait for mine…

I was first/early “responder,” ordering 2/23. I meant business! :innocent:
This means hopefully just a few more days.

I ordered mine 2-26 and mine is still in Yanwen showing outbound.