Wurkkos TS30S + monster LED SBT90.2 = $60 4750lm 1km SUPER-Thrower. Comparison w/ TS30S Pro & other lights incl. the :-) insane 13000 lm Nightwatch Valkyrie. (Summary & measurements on P. 1)

My ts30s pro came with a purple ar lens.

I don’t see any ar on mine

That interesting I wounder If any are coming with green ar?

Oh wow purple for sure - thanks for sharing. Many of us definitely no AR. @Wurkkos_Terry where are you? :slightly_smiling_face:

Better transmission but for green SBT90.2 obviously green reflection is better.

is your beam ringy? i saw a few comments on reddit that their beams are ringy. here’s mine, it’s not ringy like theirs i think because of the AR coating:-

i had a similar ringy beam problem with my SFT40 in a D1 that came with no AR coating. I swapped it out with AR coating and it solved the ringy beam problem. i linked my post here

Both TS30S 1st gen and Pro has ring at peripheral. A little more prominent with Pro. Some of my other reflector lights have it also. Very faint and mostly not visible in real life use because it’s in peripheral field so it doesn’t bother me but YMMV.

Mine looks like the top photo no ar

I did the beamshots to compare areas of illumination, but the result surprised me because how much more intense the Pro’s hotspot is. Real life use confirms this; Pro shines further without question.

I actually think of the Pro as a different light from 1st gen TS30S, not necessarily an improvement. It throws further yes, but beam profile of 1st gen might be more desirable depending on use.

Btw these pics show why peripheral rings in throwers don’t bother me as they are almost invisible by 20-30 yards (much dimmer and spread out to periphery) but YMMV.

Imgur

2 Thanks

Forget about the beam shot, how does it compare to the previous model.

Distance numbers below were pulled out of a hat, ie roughly. In beamshots above tree is about 30 yards away, and house on top of hill about 60 (compare its illumination by either light).

At ~100 yards and above: Pro wins because Pro is a “better” thrower and illuminates far objects better. Keep in mind 1st gen is NO slouch - it’s a 1 KILOMETER super thrower and beats nearly all lights out there. Here it is simply out-shined by a better thrower.
At 60-100 yards: A tie, which one is better depends on what you’re looking for. Pro is again brighter in the center, but… 1st gen illuminates a wider area. And the difference is more obvious the closer you are.
At 30-60 yards: 1st Gen wins. At short distances both lights have no lack of brightness so Pro’s throw is no longer an advantage. 1st Gen has a more evenly spread beam vs the classic “pencil beam” profile of Pro. 1st Gen also has a wider illumination area. I like 1st Gen better because of my own bias: evaluation was done during my evening walk, where near field illumination helps.

For handling, 1st Gen feels better. It has absolutely PERFECT proportion, feels balanced and just wonderful to hold. Pro’s larger head makes light head heavy and FEEL a little more awkward to hold. The button of 1st Gen is excellent, but Pro’s button is best among all the lights I have. Great travel, great tactile sensation.

Completely IMvHO - please take with a table size grain of salt :man_facepalming: :+1:. My conclusion is these are 2 different lights, NOT one is better than the other. @Wurkkos should please continue to offer both lights and not discontinue 1st Gen. Owners of 1st Gen should hold on to it like dear life (grin).

1 Thank

I agree on both lights…
Has anyone seen the first generation light for sale anywhere?

2 Thanks

I am very glad I bought 2 x Gen1s.

IME a light with single smooth reflector (vs orange peel and TIR) is prone to have artifacts such as rings, donut hole, etc. It’s likely not going to have that perfectly homogenous beam of a Convoy S21D with 60 Bead TIR. I will post beamshots to show these artifacts next but first a couple good discussions I saw recently (btw in case you don’t know first poster @ToyKeeper is author of Anduril):

Observations:

1. The beam does have a lot of rings. But it’s still a fun light. It just pumps out so much of it. I set my stepdown to 55 degrees, as per advice from @Cannga.
  2. The “big case” free gift from Ali turned out to be a “small holster,” hahaha.
  3. I’ve never used Anduril in any form, and I’m loving Anduril 2. It’s fun to play around with, for sure. My 12-year-old and I have been chasing each other around the house with the light in tactical mode, terrorizing each other.

Questions for people smarter than I:

1. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a diffuser for the Pro? Or where to buy one? I’d appreciate any input.
  2. How much drain is the standby light (the button) if you run it on the high setting? It’s cool and all (especially set to blue), but if it’s killing the battery … no thanks. I’ll just set it to low or off.
  3. Was an 18650 adapter supposed to be included? Mine did not come with one. The ones I already have are too big to slide into the Pro, at least if I want to remove them later. That said, I stuck an 18650 battery in there without an adapter and it seemed to be fine. I’m not sure if it would rattle loose or not.

Rings=Bad.

Didn’t they test it before they released it?

What I find most interesting is in fatboy’s question above: the hotspot has two parts, colored center and white rim, which is not unusual, but in the TS30S Pro, there is a significant difference in brightness and/or color that makes that white ring really stands out. Much more so than in the other 3 throwers that I have, including TSPro 1st gen.

It is significant enough to be observed already by someone here besides me. Is it extremely annoying? No, especially if you shine hotspot on trees etc. vs a flat surface. Do I wish it’s not there? Yes. Problem in hotspot magnifies because it’s in central field, where your eyes concentrate.

Whether this is caused by misaligned LED I do not know. My light’s LED looks centered and nothing unusual about the height, only one place it could be. Is it the infamous donut hole? Probably not because it is intensely bright? For Wurkkos’s sake I hope fatboy’s and mine are the only 2 lights with this “unusual” beam profile.

https://i.imgur.com/3pWpQCy.jpg

Some better pictures from the web of the 2 part hotspot with “colored” center and white ring. In the thrower lights I have the pattern is seen easily with Smooth reflector, and much less with Orange Peel reflector and TIR.

In the TS30S Pro the white ring stands out much more than any other light I have.

Can anyone help a guy out?

Diffuser will decrease throw. Defeat the purpose of getting this light in first place. May I ask which part of beam profile bothers you the most?

Re. button light I measured but have forgotten and will confirm later. IIRC maybe around 2 mA high setting? I would like to say .2 mA for low setting but NOT sure at all.

No 18650 adapter included.