Wurkkos TS30S + monster LED SBT90.2 = $60 4750lm 1km SUPER-Thrower. Comparison w/ TS30S Pro & other lights incl. the :-) insane 13000 lm Nightwatch Valkyrie. (Summary & measurements on P. 1)

Yeah, that happened to me something like 10 years ago. By now, with lights, batteries, chargers, tools, parts, accessories… I hate to even think about it. But several times that number I am sure. It is a disease, I tell ya…

1 Thank

So, without getting all up in your business, would you say you’ve spent more or less than a thousand bucks on this hobby? Only, more or less answer accepted please. LOL!!!

way more!

2 Thanks

Imagine that.

Thanks for making me feel more “normal” about my unnecessary flashlight spending. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: :slightly_smiling_face:

Hmmm this gives me an idea for the next throw measurement of the Pro. It might just make a difference.

I wonder if anyone has measured the lens on the TS30S Pro. I just got one, but I hesitate to take the lens out yet. I always seem to struggle with getting lights back together without dust or something inside. Best I can tell… measuring it across the ID of the bezel, it is ~57mm. But it would be nice to know the thickness too.
Interestingly, it seems like mine has a purple AR coating on it. Though I compared it so some other lights (Convoy) with purple AR coatings and it seems much more lightly applied.
Always looking for something a bit better, so If I knew the exact size I need I would try to track something down.

I just took mine apart for pictures. I think 56 mm diameter is exact, 55-56 mm should be ok, but 56 plus will be tight. Thickness 3 mm.

Flahslightlens has acrylic lens that might fit. UCL Lens - Flashlightlens.com - Online Store . But this is the one with purple reflection and causes Duv to go more positive, which is not good for this already green light.

Around $10 with shipping for this. I am debating the sanity of spending 1/6 the value of the light to get a lens that I won’t use. Just so I could push throw measurement up and see if AR reduces ring (I am not sure about this).

BTW they have the Borofloat UCL v3 glass lens which is wonderful (great transmission, no harm to Duv), but no size that fits Pro. This is the one I use for my TS30S 1st gen.

The ones at Flashlightlens are either 55 or 56.8 mm. I see KD has glass “multicoated” lenses at 55 mm and 3mm thick. No mention of color of the coating.

Do you think the 55mm lenses would fit and seal to the O-Ring?

I will have to check if any of the Convoy “L” series lenses might be close.

Yeah I think 56 is best but 55 mm is probably closest we could get. I think it will cover enough of gaskets, like 1/2 of the 1mm thick gasket, to keep it in place.

It seems like the same lens below, from a reasonably good seller. I had success with Kaidomain x1 but shipping was slow and some of the stories I read make me a little leery of KD.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803864446098.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US

Let me know what else you find.

LHT Flashlight Store is kaidomain’s aliexpress store. Generally better off ordering from KD, as its cheaper. I have always got my stuff in the end, though they can be slow to actually ship at times.

I tried to order one of those 58mm lenses off the Convoy store. It was in fact green AR, and I had it almost ground down with my Dremel to fit in, but one little jerky movement of the hand and the Dremel made a nice grinding mark across the front of the lens… destroyed. :frowning:

Wow how frustrating! Sorry to hear.

Your observation rings :slightly_smiling_face: true . My lights with smooth reflector tend to have varying degrees of artifacts with white wall hunting. They can’t match the homogenous beam of for example Convoy S21D with frosted TIR and Nichia LED.

But used as intended, viewing far field objects, they of course will blow the S21D away. The peripheral ring while dramatic at 2 ft white wall hunting dims and disappears by 30 yards. Maybe these 2 lights TS30S and S21D should be purchased together to scratch different itches.

I am measuring extraordinary throw numbers (1239m @ turn on, 1132 m @ 30 sec) and output (4760) for a $60 light btw. With my new Molicel P45B.

1 Thank

I found lenses at several places. For some odd reason they all jump from 55 to 56.8 or 57 then 58. Almost like there is some kind of standard …
I could find nothing with a 56mm diameter.
The KD 55mm is listed as coated on both sides, but no indication of the type of coating.
So you don’t think a 56.8 would drop in there…?? I suppose I could get a 56.8 and try sanding it down. I do have a belt grinder with lots of different grits. It would take a lot of patience and precision though…

Do you think a 56.8 mm lens will fit? (Asking for @Mandrake50)

I am very tempted to repeat your experiment, especially because it’s a green lens. There will be some question on my judgement for buying a Dremel to fix a $3 lens. But that’s ok, not the first time that the question has come up.

The 55mm x 3mm lens from Kaidomain fits okay with some extra space around the margins. Their lens indeed seems to be blue AR. Maybe not as bad as purple tint-wise… Seems like 2mm is too thin without a thicker o-ring to compensate, 3mm seems to be better thickness - as in, the bezel screws down all the way and the lens rattles at 2mm, but 3mm the bezel has a bit of gap but holds it in tight.

It looks like there might be enough room for a 56.8mm lens, with at worst some light sanding that wouldn’t even require a Dremel…?

I have destroyed hundreds of dollars of flashlights with my $50 Dremel. The Dremel is the least of the costs associated with owning a Dremel… :slight_smile:

3 Thanks

Thanks for that @elemental !

My only issue with the 56.8 mm that I found is that it is acrylic…
At least the 55mm will work.
Did you do any measurements of the stock lens for diameter and thickness?
It seems curious that they would do a design with a lens that is a unique size. Seems like it would add to cost of a relatively low production light, and really not bring much to the party. Unless they found some perfect dimensions for the reflector that they couldn’t deviate from by a millimeter or two…

I took one for the team and ordered the Kaidomain 55 x 3 mm. I am encouraged by the blue reflection on the web site’s picture, although “who knows.” This is Aliexpress afterall.

2 Thanks

I have a couple in my cart. Also the 56.8mm acrylic from Flashlightlens.
I think I will be patient and see what you find out.
Thanks. Let us know how it works, please.

Interestingly, I am pretty sure the stock lens on the TS30 S Pro that I got IS coated.
It sure looks like it. Though a lighter purple than others I have compared it to.

Will an acrylic lens handle the SBT90?

Might be worth contacting Lumintop if the 55mm doesn’t work out well. Their old ODL20C (and the V2 which never materialized I guess) use a 56mm lens. I just took a quickie measurement with the cheap calipers but they’re usually good enough here…didn’t measure thickness but it was probably between 1.5 and 2mm (they always feel thinner than they are on these larger sizes). If they have some I’m sure they’d sell them but the way they’ve been lately they’d probably ask a pretty penny for it.

1 Thank

I have that UCL acrylic lens on Wurkkos SBT90 light 1st gen, with Tmax set to 55° C. It seems to have survived so far.

1 Thank