XM-L in a 19.5cm dia. head?! I think I just got a hard-on

Problem with leds an this type of large incan bulb reflectors is the emission angle of the led (one sided and 120° ish) is such that most of the light probably isn’t even focus at all (easy enough to calculate with reflector dimensions and led position).

:party:
What you think?

JamesB and 2100, you are both right. This light has a very small, tight focused beam that really throws far and has tons of spill. The spill comes from light that never touches the reflector and the focused beam comes from that which does. I positioned the dome to produce the tightest hot spot. Moving it back of forward produces a VERY ugly hot spot. The point made by JamesB is that the reflector has to be designed for the type and size of the light source.

To me the light coming out of this light looks like the spill of sipik68 in flood mode with a strong center hot spot superimposed on top of it.

There are a lot of lumens not hitting the reflector.

I think this is the easiest to understand in terms of layman’s understanding.

You could take a look above, for the biggest ZK-2993 w XM-L T6. The spill is really a lot, as in it hits the ground quite close to the user. Let me try to visualise how big an angle (depth of reflector) that is.

ie very small hotspot, eg 1/4 size of say a STL-V2……but it could be just a wee bit brighter (lux) only.

But for your 9” host, the reflector is really extremely shallow. I have listed on example above, the small one with aluminum body, the reflector is quite a bit deeper….as in the cone / angle is “steeper”. Can take out any of your regular flashlights to compare.

This one.

A HID arc chamber produces light that is “axial” or to the sides in a 360 deg fashion, as opposed to a LED’s forward in a 120 deg cone.

+1 I was just about to post some questions on how to mod it.

Bought it at costco about 7yrs ago.Anybody got links on a mod