XP-G3 S5 3A, a quick look EDIT: Pics of stripped emitter

Thanks for rhe test Dale!

My payed Cutter order from april 15th still just gives the status ‘order entered’. There were 90CRI XP-G3’s as well as the normal ones in the order so I guess Cutter holds up shipping until everything is available. I did not think about or expected this delay, testing will have wait :frowning:

Yeah Jos, the high CRI one’s backordered very quickly, someone must’ve bought hundreds and cleaned em out. There like 354 when I ordered 20, a week later, nothing, (I’d paid for DHL so I knew it should be within a week) I checked the order and they showed backordered. So I talked to Mark and had em send me the S5 3A instead just to get some hands on with em.

These 3A are pretty nice, a good white tint that shows some pink or rosy when compared to some other emitters. Vf must be quite low to be able to hit that 7.89A on an FET in my C8! Crazy! Looking forward to your charting to see just exactly what they’re doing and how they stack up.

I would love to see throw and beamshots comparison with xm-l2 or xp-l!

Thanks for the info Dale.

Thanks for the tests Dale, great news!

Maybe Hank just bought a couple reels of XP-G2 and is worrying about getting stuck with them?

Do you realy think so? :slight_smile: Ever seen a flashlight using XTE emitter? Maybe they all stacked tons of XML/XPG and are sabotaging good old XTE …
As Dale said it would be good for triples, headlamps plus its CRI is way higher ( due to its p coat) but thats am emitter focused for general lighting

Here what is it after a hot dedome ( the first i totaly ruined)( 3000k, 90+ cri)

I’ll be getting some Luxeon Z on Monday. Time for a shootout. :smiling_imp:

Dang that’s small!

Pencilbeam will soon be outdated term, laZerbeam is way to go :sunglasses:

Ever lazrbeamed a jackal/fox m8 ? I guess not, otherwise you will know that they got crazy when lazer lightened, its like they have been hit by a high volgate :smiley:
Its strange but they react the same at 950nm IR lazer too( maybe it emits lower harmonics )

No, this days I only hunt for a good deal on flashlights :smiley: and make (or try to make) throvers for my frendz hunters :slight_smile:

Dale, I'd be interested in throw #'s you are getting out of the c8 and even triple builds, specially the X6, just to gauge how they do domed. My order from VOB has shipped, so in a few days I'll have some S5 2C's.

I think this is outstanding news btw! Nice work Dale!

Looks like the bottom end to light one of these little beauties up (according to the datasheet) is about 2.62V and 120mA, pretty dang low! I was wondering if the phosphor that covers the substrate all lights up or is it dormant away from the main die? So if a very close shave were performed, can the phosphor layer be trimmed away like an MT-G2 leaving only that area that’s “live”? This is why I was researching bottom end light up levels, to eyeball what’s what while trimming and slicing and dicing. :slight_smile:

Gonna mount one and see what a shave does for it. If I can find another XP footprint star around here, got loads of XM-’s but have used up everything XP… I actually robbed one out from under a brand new XP-E2 Green emitter for the C8 last night. lol

I tried to build a triple in a Sinner Ti with Cu heat sink and exposed ribs. The driver was a BLF Ver 1.0, 2 sided with the big Vishay 70N02 MOSFET. Cell was a Sony VTC5. Something went awry. These were flowed onto a new Noctigon triple mcpcb, then flowed onto the copper sink. But there was issues with one not working, the other 2 in a limited way, when I got them shining only 2 worked and one went blue/purple and died, the other immediately did the same. So I stripped em to see what they’re made like. Pics in OP. Very unusual.

I’ll try again tomorrow with a fresh build.

I hope everyone have seen this:

Thanks kiriba-ru, nice to see it laid out… essentially what the data-sheet says but with the comparison to the Nichia emitter. Vf is really low, not sure these are the best choice for any larger lights but make a great small light for sure, allowing pretty high output from the smaller cells.

Anyone know what the 3rd chart shows? Russian translation?

That's a nasty site - Imagebeam.com. Clicking on the image gets scary warnings...

Efficiency/wattage.

So, lumens/watt on Y, watts on X?