XP-G3 S5 3A, a quick look EDIT: Pics of stripped emitter

Yes

I’m just waiting for XHP50s using the ‘SC5’ technology.

Lower Vf and higher output capability might not be very useful in XP-G’s, but just wait till this carries over to the XP-L (or XHP70 :smiling_imp: )!

XHP leds were first that use SC5 technology: http://cree.com/LED-Components-and-Modules/SC5
Lower Vf and little higher efficiency is very useful for those who use direct drive, especially with small cells.
XHP50 and XHP70 with big reflector have “coldspot”:

IMO, wide smooth/frosted tir is preferable for this leds.

Faceted reflectors also work very well for the XHP-50/70.

2797.95 lumens from 11.85A on the Sony VT C5 in Sinners Titanium 18650 with copper exposed fin pill. Tint is nice, the Carclo 10511 smooths the beam for a wall of light effect that is very nice in this light. I used 20Ga Turnigy leads and went with a double spring from one of the X6/X5 group buy lights to help hold amp draw down a bit. The tail has no spring in these lights.

This is very nice in comparison to the 3 de-domed XP-L’s I had in it before, similar output, better tint.

what is better for throw in big reflectors? Xp-g3 or older xp-g2 emitters?

XPL V6 1A currently is my favourite for throwing purpouces( since XPG2 are ” nerfed”…wow i havent used that word since WoW )…. V6 0D runs at 6amps and its better yet its quite hard to clean dedome both electricaly and chemicaly, same goes for V6 2D/2C

That trippe looks sweet! I have to build one in a S2 host eventualy, have never did that…a shame though

Have you seen new video from Winh, he dedomes XPLs cold!

Where can I find these. The regular Cree tool I use has been faulty with XP-G2’s and doesn’t list XP-G3’s yet.

Confidential and proprietary CREE.
I think this is a part of their own measurements (seems that nichia tests are also not available in cree tool).

So going from the image DBC posted and the comparison macro shots in the XP-G2 complain thread my gimp measuring skills seem to show that the XP-G3s have the same die size as the old XP-G2s, at least unless they’ve changed the substrate size just slightly. Due to the different phosphor layer and dedomeing issues we still don’t know if they’ll throw but interesting. DBC can you measure the die somehow?

My better calipers are out in the shop, but it appears to be a 3.3mm substrate and 1.2-1.3mm die size.

What was the original XP-G2 substrate and die size?

So, Dale, did you find the answer? Do you think the phosphor can be trimmed away from around the die? From your pics of scraping the phosphor off, I can’t see any reason to leave the extra phosphor around the die. I would speculate that Cree poured the phosphor over there to cover up the ’ugly’ traces and ESD diode.

I haven’t re-attempted it David. I’m thinking that it can be shaved first, then the sides sliced and removed, that should do a fair job of it but I am pretty sure it won’t do what a de-domed XP-G2 does.

I put an G3 in the Convoy L2 and gave it a go, shaved it, sliced the phosphor off the sides, and while it was fairly impressive the beam profile was not to my liking. I tried several different focal points, got it making about 165Kcd in the L2, but ultimately the beam irregularities made me put the ~218Kcd HI back in.

Kawiboy had good luck with some very specific heights on shaving the dome off and using it in a Courui D01, big Kcd numbers he’s getting. Well over 300. So it might be pretty dependent on the reflector and size of the light, he too reports over 7A from a hot cell.

Liking em in my Sinner 18650 Triple with Carclo 10511, tint is nice when domed and power is also quite nice. So they do have their place, gonna be interesting to see what results everyone else finds…

can it be dedomed in gas?

Haven’t tried it, but the MT-G2 is similarly made and doesn’t fare well with that method in my experience.

Yeah but these are much cheaper than the MT, and one solid die. Who’s going to give it a try?

Right now, I only have 3, just got them, but I think there's realistically little chance for a chemical dedome to work - totally different dome and bonding, been tried several times with these types.

I'm wondering how the XP-G3 throws compared to an XP-G2, even with the dome. Hop'n to get to it soon, dunno what light - like to try apples-to-apples test though, even if amps is diffferent. Might just do a simple P60 7135 test.