XP-L2

Has anyone tried KD cool white xpl2? Especially with their p60?

I got one with p60 and apparently the focus angle got me a donut hole despite all the adjustments

And not to mention KD cool white is in puke ugly green with terrible CRI compared to most Cree xml2 cool white. As if latticebright pale

This may be part of it, the other is that my LED is a V5 instead of a V6 bin. That easily explains most of it.

I put it in a Convoy BD02 without anny issue.
With 14 AMCs it works with 4,9A.

German: http://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/threads/convoy-bd02-mit-xp-l2-mög… (link is external)
English by Google: https://translate.google.de/translate?hl=de&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fw… (link is external)

Yea, I've blown a XML2 U4 in the BOSS1 with 4 EFEST 26650's driving it, but with a one cell, good FET driver, good wiring, it survives and just bout clears 2,000 lumens, so with my results in one cell lights, XPL V6 W2's slightly higher lumens because of higher amps perhaps, but U4's do well, and seems to match the CREE specs for being about equal to XPL W2's at the same amps.

Is it possible to estimate when W2 bin will be available?

No answer…should I interpret it as “it’s totally unpredictable, maybe now, maybe a couple of years”?

Correct, they are technically available to order now, the issue is a distributor actually ordering and offering them for sale. For some reason most distributors do not get the highest bin / best tints.

Do you guys think we will see a XP-L2 HI sometime soon?

I am not holding my breath. I have yet to see any signs of a HI version of any of the latest gen Cree LED’s.

I hope so. Maybe it’ll set the tint issues right.

Can anyone please help me. I wanted to reflow a XP-L2 but don’t know which way to put it on the board. Where is + and -?!

The little arrow on the bottom points towards the ground pad.

it looks like this: V+ - > - Ground

Thanks TA! That makes it clear. :slight_smile:

Yes, Mouser now has the XP-L2 U6 (good bin for 90cri!) with 4000K, 90CRI and 2-Step Macadams binning (941-XPLBWT0000UU640H).

The “40H” part of the datasheet indicates that it’s 4000K 2-step and the graph in the datasheet shows that these LEDs will be have a slightly yellow tint above the bbl, but at least consistently so.

To get the lumens from Texas_Ace’s test of the v5 Bin just multiply his lumen measurements with 0.76. So at 5A the U6 should produce around 1254lm. Comparing the numbers at 3A it seems the the numbers in the test are a bit lower than those of Cree for 85°C, but it’s a small difference.
Compared to the Nichia 219C D240 9050 Test Texas_ace did, these numbers are a bit underwhelming (the Nichia did 1063lm @5A in it’s test).

EDIT:
There is a better way to calculate lumens at high currents through using the tests here in the forum. Using simple cross-multiplication I determine a percentage of how much the brightness increases from a current in the datasheet to the current that interests me. According to Texas_Ace’s test the XP-L2s lumens increase by 45% going from 3A to 5A. The Nichia 219Cs lumens increase by just 32% which shows the smaller DIE and worse thermal resistance.
Now I can just multiply this with the lumens from the datasheet or Cree PCT and even choose a realistic temperature which the LED will have in my light.

So at 5A and 85°C the XP-L2 U6 will do 1292 - 1370 lumens (to understand this one has to know that Cree lists just the minimum values in the PCT tool and that Bins are usually 6% apart). That’s really not too bad for a high-cri LED. The Nichia 219C R9050 in D240 bin does 893-968lm in the same conditions(I used the same way of calculation, but used 1A instead of 3A since that is still within Nichias official limits). So now the XP-L2 is actually around 43% brighter at 5A and 85°C. That’s definitely a noteworthy difference.
I also calculated the efficiency of both LEDs. The XP-L2 does 75-79 lm/W at the above current and temperature. The Nichia does 55-59lm/W.

For me the biggest advantage is actually the larger DIE size and correspondingly larger hotspot, especially in compact lights like my headlamp. Except for the Nichia 144A (only 6V and 12V) all the nice high-cri LEDs from Nichia, Osram and Lumileds have either a small DIE or are not available in neutral white.

That link goes to an 80cri 4500k but that actually sounds really interesting. Hmmm, 80cri and more lumens or 90cri and less….

Thanks, I fixed it :wink:

I would never trust the specs which they list for a product. I always check the specs for the Cree part number in the datasheet.

I’d welcome smaller die and brighter hotspot. I guess in 10622 it would be too floody for my liking…Even 219c is too large for me. Nevertheless, interesting option.

The xp-g3 throws a bit better then an xp-l2 but none of the latest gen LED’s match the last gen. The xp-L HI is still my go to for throwers (unless I have access to 12V, in which case it is the xhp35).

Not all, XHP50.2 throws better than XHP50.
If we’re going with hi-cri emitters, why pick XP-G3? It may be high cri, but it still looks bad….

I’m in the middle of compiling some data for a selection of 90 CRI emitters for use in my next EDC, I wonder what will prevail. Probably 219c D240 will win over XP-L HI T6 and XP-G2 R2 and 219B D200.
Added: And XP-L2 U6. :wink:

I have now an SST40 which is far from high CRI but it can be dedomed and with a FET driver it can run at 7,5A. I will try it soon dedomed in a C8 with a TA17 driver what it can do.