XT-E Royal Blue Home-Made P60 Drop-In

Hey! That's the mean little dude that probed me!

Royal blue tends to be the color of the actual LED in white LEDs. Remove the phosphor from a white LED and voila... royal blue.

Lot's of fish tank people like them. I know a guy that talked a Chinese LED array maker to run some off for him without the phosphor layer. He sold them all in a day or two. He was going to order a lot more, but I don't know if he ever did.

I lost about four hours of time after I took that photo and my ass was killing me.

Anybody knows that?

Now I'm waiting for blue XML if its as easy as texaspyro said. :D

..there are blue SST-90's, so why you'd need a blue XM-L? :Р

I'm way too cheap for SST90s. :P

It is, all white LEDs are just blue LEDs coated with phosphor as I posted way back in this thread.

I know bose, I meant the part about that guy asking a manufacturer to skip the phosphor coating process. :)

Ah, well, if all they’re doing is buying chips and making LEDs all they’d have to do is skip phosphor coating, would actually make them cheaper theoretically, however since they would be special order I doubt they would sell them for less :wink:

Exactly what one would expect from a profit-oriented company. ^^

I just did a little reading on wiki. The phosphor transforms some of the invisible light into visible light, so for example a white XRE will produce about three times the lumens of a blue XRE. I didnt expect that.. still that blue <-> royal blue stuff puzzles me.

Royal Blue is really just a specific color of blue.

But why does Cree specify mW rather than lumens for royal blue?

Ah, I get what you mean. I don’t know that to be honest.

Me neither.. problem is: thats kinda making me want to buy a royal blue too, just to compare.. :D

Haha, all I know is they will be BRIGHT to your eye, the Green would be even brighter even though they are technically less intense.

If I take a look into the datasheet, green is rated at about twice the lumens of blue. That phosphor converting invisible light to visible seems to make a huge difference.

Well, what I mean is the power of a Green is less than a blue. The measured mW at the same input current is less for green. This is due to the fact that if the same amount of electron release photons the longer wavelength of green has less energy than blue even with the same amount of photons. However, you’re eyes are most sensitive to green so you will definitely see it as brighter.

Lumens are rated as they would be perceived by the eye, so lumen ratings for Green will be relatively inflated, and for Blue much more conservative. I think this is why Cree lists Blue in mw, to better represent the actual power output and get around this 'underestimation'.

I thought lumens were a perception based measure but wasn’t sure, thanks for posting that.

They only list royal blue in mW, normal blue is still in lumens.