XTAR H1 Commander Headlight (1x 14500 or 1x AA) Review

Ordered the H1
Thanks for the detailed review
Also got a pair of unprotected Xtar 14500’s on the way as per your findings on the fitment in the battery tube

Thanks again for the kind words guys and I'm glad you found it useful.

Guide prices.. I can't be specific but AFAIK it's somewhere in the region of $53 so it's not sky high pricewise.

That's great news devdvr, please let us know your thoughts when it arrives and I hope you enjoy this little light as much as I do. Congrats

$70?

You’re looking in the wrong places LOL

Check out this thread https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/19448

I can’t find the price you’re talking about: $53 + $15.75 shipping here , $69.99 here .
That’s why I was asking about the price and where to buy, please post links!

As far as the specs are concerned ZLT is better with AA (and I do believe they have a clip), I’m thinking of the h502 or h502w. The xtar h1 is surely less flood, so from my perspective they’d have different use thus hard to compare…

That link I posted has what you need. $53 shipped.

Nice review. I like that light. There will be a H1 living at my house in the future.

I've completed the first runtime test which took a lot longer than I expected. It's nothing fancy as I don't have the light meter or graph plotting utilities but here's what I've found.
14500 Li-ion 750mAh XTAR cell. Starting voltage 4.19v
Start on Turbo mode
First step down to high at 5 mins exactly
The light seems to maintain what looks like a fairly constant output until 1hr 51mins there is a slight flicker (maybe the driver switches over to become a boost driver ? I'm not sure)
Brightness seems to now noticeably drop until the light switches to Low mode at 2hrs 3mins
Cell voltage at switchover to Low mode is 3.16v
The light continued to run on low mode for a further 2 hours before I stopped the test out of frustration
I then proceed to force the light to run on it's highest setting until eventually it would step down to low as soon as I tried to go to any higher level (just trying to get the cell voltage down here)
Eventually after a further 3 or 4 hours on low mode (I lost track at this stage), the light finally shut itself down - Shut down cell voltage was 2.79v
Quick version
Turbo to High 5 mins
High to Low stepdown 2hrs 3mins (3.16v)
Final light shutdown (2.79v)
I hope that's helpful and I apologise for the lack of runtime/lumen graph. I will carry out this test again using an AA cell once I acquire one that isn't completely flat (my son's Xbox controller *sigh*)

Thanks a lot for the review! Frontpage’d and Sticky’d.

+3

Tks for the nice review. :slight_smile:

I realize this is an older post. The H1 has been discontinued for quite some time. If anyone is interested in purchasing 1, there’s a guy on eBay who’s selling out a bunch for $22 delivered. I’m not affiliated with him, just wanted to pass on what I considered a decent deal. XTAR H1 on eBay

that looks like a great deal at $22 shipped free. Thanks.

+1

I really like my h2’s and keep thinking what the hell.

fyi i added dc fix and dremeled the red led to the point that it has no hotspot all flood.

also these are gret lights to drop a note 219B or 219C nichia in if you like the tint.

use it every night to read in bed.

You’re very welcome! Best of luck!

I’m so stupid, I ordered 3. lol A while back Boaz got me some DC fix and was kind enough to toss in a few pieces of soft, flexible diffusion film. I’ve cut a few discs out of it and have used it to great success (IMO) for turning throwers into flooders in a non-permanent way. Did that with my H2 and I’m really happy with the light distribution now.

I actually still have a NIB H2 that I’m pondering what to do with. I haven’t really ventured into the world of modding. So little time, so many hobbies… :slight_smile:

I will say one thing I don’t care for about the H2. The head band has sharp angles on it which dig uncomfortably into my forehead. Also, I find it difficult to install the light into the headband with the pocket clip in place. To resolve this issue, I purchased this skilhunt headband which has a single strap headband and a single elastic loop to hold most right angled lights. This allows me to leave the pocket clip on while EDCing the light, but quickly deploy the headband, should I need it. Oh, and it’s much more comfortable. There are cheaper bands out there (and I’ve bought more than a few) but $4 ain’t gonna break the bank.

BTW, this has to be the best deal on the planet for a flashlight headband . Great way to turn most stick style flashlights into a very serviceable headlamp. I bought a couple and ATM one has a Jetbeam MK-1 and another a short tube BFL A6. Waiting on an Astrolux S41SC, which might replace the A6.

Mahalo!

I should have bought one the first day but I wanted to make sure a friend got taken care of. The seller raised the price to $24 when they started selling. Still not bad though.

I got in early at $22. I love headlights, I cannot lie. Should be here Saturday.

Thinking about it….
Can anyone confirm a Efest Purple 14500 will fit?

Thanks

Jumped on this, I’ve been looking at headlights for a possible week-long outdoors trip later this year. $24 for a headlamp that’s in a battery form factor that I like? Even if I end up replacing the LED I can’t go wrong.

Thanks for posting.

no international shipping :cry: