Xtar H2 Headlamp Review - Pics added - ONLY $23.59 at Gearbest

Thanks for the suggestion Keith. Neat idea. I went a different route though.

Okay, so after some modding, the UI is still not ideal, the size is a quite a bit bigger than a Zebralight, but it’s quite good and has red!

So here are my mods:

- swapped to Nichia 219A LED.

- used heavy diffusion film on main LED.

• used 4-600 grit sandpaper to scuff up the Red LED.

So, after all that, the tint is ideal, the beams are much more diffuse and the whole thing functions a lot better as a headlamp.

The rubber holder is too tight, and my noggin is a bit big for the strap, but we’ll deal with that another day…

Care to share some pictures?

Regarding its size - it might be due to second LED and big looking protective bezel around switch.

You are correct. The Red LED and it’s associated circuitry make the light bigger. Also, the light is moddable, while a zebralight is all press fit components, built for small size, it’s definitely not moddable. This is not a huge light, just bigger than I thought it could be.

As for pictures, I didn’t document the mod. All you will see is a frosty lens and a frosty Red LED.

One more change I made, a nice blue boot for the switch. It is a touch taller so does not head stand well, but that was never a must-have feature. Changing boots allowed me to alter the feel of the switch by removing the slop internally by adjusting how much nub I cut off in the boot. Looks better too.

EDIT: Pix

Very nice Gunga! Thanks on this update, when mine get here I have some good ideas now

Love the looks of main reflector :smiley: !

Will try to do something similar to one of mine+add a magnet at the tail cap, when they arrive, wanted/needed two headlamps and it made no sense to buy something even cheaper(Nitefighter L1A costs around 13$, makes no sense buying one thus) so I went for another one!

Will share my impressions here once they arrive :D!

Yep. The 1.5-2 second delay to turn off is a bit of pain, but overall it’s a pretty nice light.

The lanyard slot may even fit a 1.4x3.5 mm trit. Not sure it’s worth it but I have a few spare so may as well!

EDIT: Nope, doesn’t fit, broke one trying to get it to fit. You can get smaller trits, but you’re getting pretty dim. On the brass lights I was mounting trits, I ended up filing the slots to widen them. Not my plan on a black anodized light…

Well, not yet anyways.

Got mine in today. First impression is very good. The UI is not bad for me, I adapt pretty well on these things… I do not see how a turn off could be done without the 1.5-2 second push, not great, but it will not cut off accidentally either.

Very glad I have a couple of these, now I have to find a floody optic to put in and see what other mods I can work up…

Just found this website few weeks ago but decided to make a account to thank you for this thread. Was just thinking about getting a headlamp so thanks, what 16340s would you suggest for this headlamp?

Also, if i switch off the flashlight on red mode is there any way to turn it back on straight into red mode?

Double click from off takes you to red mode.

Hi,

Can anyone share how to remove the bezel and reflector?

Thanks,
Jim

I took a piece of that rubberized kitchen drawer liner and a side of a piece of a 1x3. I folded the drawer liner over the edge of the wood and pressed it against the bezel until it felt like it had enough grip ( a couple of pounds of force, maybe ) and then unscrewed it. It slipped a bit, but once it was “broken free” I could turn it with just my finger tip and the drawer liner.

The bear is actually the lens… I used toothpicks and pried gently. A blast of canned air may work too, but I did not have any…

After the bezel and lens, turn it over and let gravity get the reflector…

Good luck!

Hi,

I couldn’t get what you suggested working (no drawer liner), but I took an old credit card type card and made a kind of makeshift spanner wrench. It took a few tries, but then I got rewarded:

Now to get the rest of it apart…

EDIT: BTW, someone mentioned that the headband that comes with the H2 felt tight. I happened to get an H1 about the same time as I got the H2, and FYI, the H1 headband is significantly longer than the H2 headband.

Weird, huh? I would’ve expected that XTAR would use the same headband, but it seems like that’s not the case.

That is weird. The headband is too tight on my head and on the light. I may try to find and equivalent Zebralight unit.

Im actually enjoying the light as a handheld angle light. Put some O-rings in the handle grooves and you have very sure grip!

Perhaps their logic was that if its smaller headlamp it should naturally come with smaller headband :D?

Anyway, too anxious about this light, might to unsubscribe from this thread until mine arrive together with batteries and then chime back in to share my opinion :)!

Thank you, but inbetween off and the 2 clicks will it flash the white light? I am not sure if im explaining my worries but a split second flash of white can be quite bad for my eyes if we are star gazing,
Does it matter which 16340 batteries i get? ATM i do not really understand all the differences between batteries but i assume for now i should avoid batteries like ultrafire, having a quick look on ebay i see efest imr, efest gold and Aw Li-ion Protected, Aw imr …should i be looking for protected batteries?

Yes...this light should have protected batteries

Thanks, thought so, it said it has “low voltage protection” so was not sure.

Just as a general rule for myself, I don’t put unprotected batteries on my head.

Tinywind has sale, buy 3 batteries get one free, I bought 1 Olight 16340 and 3 Xtar 16340 from them, would get 2 Olight+2 Xtar, but Olight sold out quickly. Both protected models.