Yezl Y3 - a picture breakdown

Bravo Tom, i will test your new firmware asap: in Y3 ofc

I have one builded with 26mm FET DD driver and ramp firmware whitch is also good but Yezl look like firmware is better

I am repeating this here maybe 6 months now, its the best 4200ma 26500 battery and maybe the best 26650 in existance considering its high amps/ capacity ratio: its real camacity is arround 4500 btw/ at 5amps consumption

Something that is interesting too:

Same mod as Tom`s , same emitter but dedomed, MT 26mm DTP and DEFAULT Y3 driver with a spring bypass, 120resisttor mod, 20ag wires and same battery: efest 26650 4200 purple:

- It gives 3.2 tail amps at start with a fresh battery and arround 160k mcds

This mod will be good for ppl who dont wanna invest time , effords and money in a new driver

An IMPORTANT info

Lately the default Y3 driver is different: when s. resistor bridged it could give 3.5-3.7amps but it has the habbit to kill the emitter due to its high ripple, so dont do it: i was quite stubborn and killed 4 emitters this way on 3 different light :slight_smile:

Mitko - have you ever has one of those driver mounted switches fail? Didn't happen to me with a Y3 yet, though on one, the button was slightly tilted back. I did a few modded up ZY-T11 clones (https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/21292, best source now: DX ZY-T11 clone), and basically has the same switch as the Y3, but had a switch fail - got pushed back, tiled off the driver - switch no longer worked. It was an easy fix - just re-soldered the contact, getting it back into proper position - nothing broke fortunately.

It's actually a great, cheap little host - quality of the host is so-so, but I got a 26 mm Maxtoch MCPCB in there, UCL/p lens, FET+1 driver with Narsil firmware on a Tiny85, can handle high amps surprisingly well. Nice pocketable EDC with extra throw because of the wider reflector. It has a tail lockout w/anodized tailcap threads, but it will wear off with usage, so the lockout can develop flakiness. That's why the UI lockout feature is nice with this light.

From now on, I'm gonna use the JB Weld on those ZY-T11 clones as well, and any other lights with similar switch's I work on.

Yeah i had 2 unfortunately, the first i think i damaged myself while cleaning the PCB with a hot air but the second one just died as the flashlight was never modded….well, s$$ts happens Tom, yet i have many of those drivers as spares cause i also mod Yezl as a hunting viechle observation torsh : with a cable and 12v power source - so i remove the driver and the tail assembly

I actualy look for a Yezl Y3 clone but better- lately they changed even reflectors, now when you press them harder to the MCPCB its shrinks and as you said before they always have minor “chips” here and there, other type of issues….
Somethgn like a 2010 but with 2 buttons…a better quality Yezl :slight_smile:

I have not been around BLF for quite some times already, and didn’t realize that the XM-L2 U4 1C can produce 1900+ lumens at only 5.30A?! What did I miss so far? :open_mouth:

Not just me either. Dale reported the same #'s on a U4 1C at about the same amps in the 1900's in a EE/BLF X6 no less Smile.

If you consider 1700's (maybe 1800's) was achieved with a U2 1A a while back at 6+ amps, then you bump up 2 bins, take off a little amps, it's all possible. Difference in output between 5.3A and 6.5A or so is not all that much - it doesn't scale linearly.

Edit: actually we got 1700's on a de-domed XM-L2 U2 1A in a TN31, post #128 here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/17637. On a domed, probably in the 1900 area. I do believe though my amps to the LED measurements were probably low. Dale's method of using a quality loop meter is way better.

Very impressive tom and nice pictures. The y3 is still one of my favs for budget throwers. I bet you can some amazing numbers with a dedomed xpl?

Well its the same, V6 at same current gives same results, i even think XML2 is the better overall choise cause of its bigger direct core pad…yet, +–50 lumens out of 1900 isnt actualy an issue

Mitko - do you find in a DD setup can the XP-L's get more amps than the XM-L2's? Been wondering if any differences.

Yeah, those lovely IOS V6 1D are the best high amp emitters that i got so far, one of my last pieces of those even run at 6.26amps and ofc i instantly put it inside my own C8 that i use on my jackal hunting Ak 103: 155k mcds from a C8….its like a M2X Tom but 2 times lighter and smaller
Yet, U4 1C is nearly the same, i just havent tested any of those capable of runing above 5 amps- i wish we had U4 1A or 1D option

Btw, those U3 0D from FT are realy realy good ones, i stacked a good ammount from those :slight_smile: They aint 0D but prolly 1A or something but their lumen output in incredible

s

I actualy ordered U4 1t and V6 1A- will keep you updated ofc, especialy for 1t…i do expect a hard blue/green tint here , rofl :slight_smile:

I got in U4 1A's from Cutter - they got em. Just finished a 3rd Y3 with a U4 1C - still got 5.3A, slightly lower lumens, better throw though. Wondering now if the proper focus point is a more lower LED - last one, didn't think I got the height right - LED is not as far in as the 1st Y3. 2nd Y3 I have to re-test. Got low # in amps, lumens and throw -- gonna take the screws out for one thing. The 1st and 3rd are using a Maxtoch 26 while the 2nd one is using a 20mm SinkPAD.

There's probably lots of variations though piece to piece: LED, reflector, etc.

My Xmas V6 1A yezl build
MT 26mm MCPCB used and 1.5mm 25mm copper pad underneath, V6 1A, piggybacked wigths 17mm DD driver v 44, F Roche modded firmware

At start it calculated lumen output is 1992( i would never reach 2k with a single 10w emitter obviously), and 212k mcds
Current:

The battery used was Efest 26650 4200 Purple ofc, with KeePower i got 7% less

The hotspot came quite decent though( at 2m)

And they say Y3 isnt good host for modding….actualy its my favourite modding dual switch host

Nice Mitko! 5.85A is a great #. Is the V6 1A - de-domed? Almost looks like a XPL HI. Are those 18 or 20 AWG wires?

Yeah its dedomed, as you can see i broke some of the while sillicone while dedoming but otherwise it came a very good and clean- i always try to preserve the white sillicone
The tint isnt actualy a dedomed 1A as you know it but kinda pinkier whitch is good, so i presume its not exacly 1A but different, yet the lumen output shows its V6 or at least close.
Bought it from KD.

Wires are 20 awg, i am out of 18 atm( what i shame )

I got little experience with HI, tested only 2C, 1A and 2B but the css i got aint that good, this counts also for the lumen output
Lets hope Cree will bring higher binned HI emitters to the market eventualy

well done mitko,y3 is a nice modable flashlight.

Mitko, Tom… Have you guys maybe tried the VAPPOWER 4200mah 26650 cells?

It shows very good results by HKJ and AkkuDB below 15 amps.

Yeah i tried those and they are absolutely the same as Efest 4200( real capasity is 4300-4450 actualy, at 5a load)….i think they could be rebranded Efest cause its absolutely the same, i bought them only once 6 months ago but the shipping time took forever

I tested so far Enerpower 4700 mAh , all Efest and Keepower 26650 models, Trustfire too, have several Ultrafire and i dont wanna talk about , i have currently even Sony US26650FTC1 3000mAh LiFePo4- the best considering high amps is Efest 4200

Those Panasonic 26650 in Aliexpress seems to be fakes, at least 2 that i bought were

Thanks Mitko. May I ask what device you use to test your cells?

Selfmade one, well am i a power engineer :slight_smile: Its actualy quite simple

Plus, you can always test a battery on a DD driver fresh started, at 4v, at 3.8 and so on, thats the method i used before i made one

Hey Tom, i just saw Kaidomain has a 58.6mm AR glass, have you tested it?

Ohhh - I am so freak'n spoiled by UCL's and UCLp's, I find disappointment in all the other so called AR lens (cheap ones) out there. I'm with Dale on this. I did try pretty much all of them CNQ, KD, IOS, FT, etc.. - All are beaten by Chris's at flashlightlens.com.

Think CNQ had the Y3's - tried those, maybe not the KD's specifically, not sure.