Your coolest / best / favorite flashlight of 2023?

I think that depends a lot on the batteries you use. When mine was still stock, it did around 915kcd on Lishen LR2170LH batteries and 890kcd on P45B, well above the spec for throw.

After a bit of hotrodding (and an anduril conversion), it has peaked 1005kcd with LR2170LH and 986kcd with P45B

Convoy’s lumen numbers are all theoretical, they don’t count the light losses of a reflector or TIR and the glass. Intensity is accurate though

My best three in 2023: Olight Marauder Mini (Midnight Blue); Lumintop Mach 4695 (Green); and Wurkkos TS10 Copper/Titanium.

I was referring to the lumen number. I was using P45Bs and only got ~4500lm at startup.

4500 lumens from an SBT90 is quite a lot FYI

But in a big thrower like this, what you care about is intensity more than lumens.

The Mach 4695 looks smaller than I expected, do you have a size comparison with other lights?

I would say it is medium-sized in terms of can flashlights. When compared with WT90, it is quite small.

1 Thank

I’m a bit late to the convoy party. A few months back i got my first, a Convoy S3 519a . I added a tail magnet and fwxx pocket clip and use it as a tool for work. I later bought a Convoy S6 but prefer the beam on the S3.

I’m pretty sure these were all 2023 for me.

Favorite EDC: Skilhunt M200 v3 (519A) - a bunch of small improvements over v2 took the M200 from a light I recommend to other people to a light I carry all the time myself

Favorite budget light: Convoy S21E with boost driver - I got one with a 719A, but I’d recommend the B35A to most people for a bit more output and better R9. Ten years ago, a light with flat output and a thermal sensor would cost $80-100, and it wouldn’t have high CRI or USB charging like this $20 light does.

Most fun light: Skilhunt MiX-7 - an 18350 light with seven LEDs, four channels, and a wide bezel doesn’t make a lot of practical sense, but this thing is entertaining.

Favorite overall: Acebeam E75 - high output and high CRI for a long time in a sturdy package. Almost the opposite of the MiX-7; it’s kind of boring, but it makes all kinds of practical sense.

It’s been months since I bought a light and somehow I’d developed this idea that I might not have bought a light since last year. LOL

My 2023 lights:

Date Brand Model Emitter Price
Jan 25 Emisar D4Sv2 XP-L Hi 5000K $87.76
Mar 8 Convoy L6 FC40 4500k $66.45
May 14 Convoy M21F 70.3 Hi 4000k $38.28
Total $192.49

The coolest one is easily the D4Sv2 with the 26800 tube. Shout-out to @INeedMoreLumens for helping me transplant those XP-L Hi emitters into it!

2 Thanks

What do you think of your Convoy M21F?
Too small and boring? :thinking:

1 Thank

It is a little boring compared to some other “balanced beam” lights. For example, the M3-C and L6 hosts have more wow-factor when you get to a wide open space. But the compact size of the M21F is where it really shines (hehe). Unlike most of my other walking lights, putting this into a jeans pocket isn’t awkward.

My brother walks his dogs with the M21F and looooves it because it is so easy to juggle his dog-related stuff due to the small size of the light.

He has one with a 70.2 and another with the SFT40. I would say that the SFT40 has more wow-factor due to the high intensity beam from such a modestly sized light. I’ve been holding out on getting one with an SFT40 because I want the 5000k variant. (although the 6500k is really not bad)

1 Thank

Simon has these in stock now. I’m pretty sure he’d swap it for you if you asked.

Thanks for the shout out, it seems like so long ago!

1 Thank
  • EDC: Acebeam TK18 AL / Acebeam E70 Mini
  • EDT: Acebeam E75 (would like a floody TIR version of this)
  • Tactical: Acebeam P16/P17/P18
  • Throw: Acebeam L35
  • Compact Throw: Manker MC13 II SFT40 + 21700 tube
  • Budget: Convoy S3 B35AM (TIR)
  • Bang for Buck: Convoy M21B XHP 70.3 HI CRI70 with 6V 8A driver
  • Walking da dog: Convoy M21H / M26D FC40 5000K (36° TIR). So easy to drop in TIRs for fun.
  • Running: Convoy S21D 8A 519A. Its simple and reliable, seems to hold output better than D4K and lighter than D4SV2
  • Hiking good conditions: D4K, D4SV2 519A boost, Convoy S21B B35AM (TIR)
  • Hiking bad conditions: Wuben TO50R, Skilhunt EC300, ZL SC700Fd
  • Headlamp: Wizard Nichia / Skilhunt H300 Nichia

Notable Mentions:

• Manker E14 IV 519A. Nice multi fuel, but highigh Duv, no 21700 retention options, and overheats instantly on turbo. Lower modes have awesome adjust-ability in engineering mode (would like to see this more often)

Batteries:

• 21700 Moli P45B, Samsung 50S, VTC6A for lights that smoosh positive terminals, BAK N21700CG-50, Vapcell F56
  • 18650 P30B

Misses for me in 2023:

• Acebeam H16 (unregulated)
  • Acebeam TAC AA (poor regulation, AA medium mode wtf)
  • Wuben L1 (not regulated)
  • Skilhunt H200 (poor mode spacing, useless red + white mixing)
  • Convoy buck driver step downs and various bugs in mode switching
  • D1K (mediocre output)

Would like to see in 2024:

• Wuben TO50R 519A / D1 519A
  • Skilhunt EC300 519A
  • Skilhunt H200 single channel 519A
  • Acebeam EC65 519A, TK18 AL 519A
  • 7/12 emitter E07X / E12R competitor
  • More high CRI options 5000K and above
  • A new Open Source flashlight firmware option
  • Open drivers with schematics
  • Magnetic charging standard
  • More adoption of unique switch design (rotating rings like RRT01, Seeker 4 Pro, etc)
  • Convoy side clicky UI re-do, driver flash pads, etc

These kinds of things are snapshots in time, it would be interesting to see people’s favorites and what they replaced.

Interesting. I thought it was considered to be one of the bigger 21700 lights.

I could only find one picture showing the M21F next to the 21700 light I use, so here it is:
Left end: D4K
Right end: M21F

3 Thanks

Well, the M21F is the only host he has with a single 21700 and a side switch so there is that.

What my brother wants from a walking light:

• balanced beam for easier spotting of dogs roaming in large fields. No pencil beams allowed but throw is still important
  • Regulated output so that he can get through his longish walks without needing a new battery. (has no interest in carrying spare cells)
  • Small enough to manage with one hand but substantial and grippy enough to hold onto with winter gloves
  • Cheap enough that he won’t be sad if something happens to it

Out of the lights shown I think he’d probably like a D1K with a 70.3 hi. Not sure if the smaller size would be a positive or not. I’m curious to know how the regulated output and candela-per-lumen would compare.

is that because the H150 has an 800mAh battery while the H04 mini has an 1100mAh battery?
fwiw, the 1250mAh Vapcel F12 flat top works in the H150

however the Skilhunt battery (50.1mm) is Protected, while the F12 is UnProtected. Also the F12 (48.7mm) is 1.4mm shorter, and the battery will move and turn the light off if I slap the palm of my hand w the base of the light…

then again this review says the H150 has LVP, so a protected battery may be redundant… not sure

Vapcell also makes a longer F12 button top (51.35mm), w 1250mAh capacity, but I have not tested it, I dont know if it prevents the H150 from closing all the way.

thanks for saving me from buying the H200

I agree the red+white mode is stupid and I can see that they eliminated the 3 lumen mode in favor of that one Red+white mode.

I was also concerned that the Red modes of the H200 have poor spacing:

those mode spacing issues is why I prefer Anduril… I have an Emisar D2 with a Red 660nm that works very well for me (I dont like that the Skilhunt H200 uses the more orange 620nm).

bottom line for me, is that the Emisar D2 is a better LiIon light than the H150 and the H200… the only advantage to the H150 is that it also works on AA, which I normally never use.

however, I have an H150 in my car with both LiIon and AA, just in case the LiIon gets drained by summer heat in the car. I just dont love the Skilhunt mode spacing…

The Emisar D2 w Anduril is soooo much better than a Skilhunt, for me.

But I did not list the D2 as an annual favorite because it is sooo picky about battery length… It does work fine w the Vapcel F12 flat top… but Ive had a lot of issues w even that battery, where the D2 will shut itself off due to poor contact between the tailcap and the body or between the head and the body.

So I just cannot fully recommend the D2. If only it had a slightly longer body tube, and a better contact ring in the head, it would be epic… It has such a Great feature set.

I voted for it last year, and will again this year.
The Wurkkos TS10. I have bought around 15 of them now. The recent ones that I really like are the Polished Titanium TS10 V2, The Copper TS10, the Copper and Ti TS10 V2 and the Blue oxidized Ti TS10 V2.
But my EDC (not purchased in 2023) is an original black model with updated firmware. It is a bit beat up, but still works great. With AUX off, I only need to charge it once every 4 to 6 weeks with the Vapcell F12 cell in it.

They are just great little lights. I have given 5 of them as gifts (Kit with charger and updated firmware) and everyone has had positive things to say. Love them.

5 Thanks

The H200 is a nice concept, I have been wanting a well regulated 519A floody triple headlamp for a while to replace my Acebeam H17 LH351D (discontinued, 18350). Two whites should still be fine … I typically find my Skilhunt mode spacing very good, so this was a setback.

I couldn’t find the review I thought showing H04 mini / H150 runtime differences, so since other reviews showed them about the same I removed that from the OP.

1 Thank

zeroair has a couple…
H04 mini 80 minutes at 250 lumens

H150 68 minutes at 200 lumens:

different outputs… different runtimes, different mode spacing, different LEDs, different battery capacities…

comes down to whether or not AA compatibility is important… or if one prefers short and stubby or longer and skinnier…

1 Thank

Acebeam L19 2.0 - My end of year hunt. I wanted to have a big TIR thrower for a long time. Couldn’t wait for Sofirn/Wurkkos/Convoy to come up with an equivalent one so I bought it during 11.11 sale.

The beam profile is exactly what I imagined it to be: Very concentrated hotspot with gradual, faint, wide spill. I like the beam profile a lot better than the M21A reflector style spill which destroys my night vision. L19’s corona is basically the same size as M21A’s hotspot so it should reach a lot further.

The body tube is surprising small / thin and really comfortable to hold. Tactical UI is good. The tail button is an e-switch and has great travel and feedback. Efficient buck driver, high sustained output. There is almost nothing to fault about this light.

2 Thanks