Your most impressive thrower....

You have good taste, Mike. :beer:

Lumintop sure capitalized on the Nano, despite all the initial growing pains. Guess if you’re running the 10440 tube and cell it gives a minute more of satisfaction. Only reason I never jumped on the bandwagon is the Micro just kills it in practice.

I have been sooooo tempted by this light, but I’m OD’d on SFT-40 torches between L21B, IF22A, and hopefully soon the Wurkkos T11. I know you’ve mentioned the IF22 seeming more impressive than the IF22A. Where would you think your S16 falls in comparison?

I don't have the IF22 or the IF22A.

My judgment of those two are based on online beamshots.

The Catapult Mini throws a nice really tight beam, but is limited by how much the shorty cell can put out. Very pocketable, despite the wider head.

The IF22A throws a bit wider beam, but just has that much more oomf so can reach farther.

I’d say my best throwers at the minute would be,

1. Astrolux mf02 XHP35
2. Haikelite MT40 PM1 Osram CSLPM1
3. Convoy L21B SFT40 or Cometa with white flat in it

Jin Heng JKK76 with 7 sft-40’s, or Convoy L7 with sbt-90.

OK, not to be outdone, I can’t resist. On the left is the 2,200 Watt VSS-1 tank light and on the right, my 1940’s G.E. 800,000,000 CP, 11,700 Watt Anti Aircraft Searchlight.

I’m looking for a very long distance thrower that is good quality. What do you use for that? Trying to stay around $400 for that type of light.

Fully OEM, just a different power supply as I don’t own the rest of the tank

Mine …. A Convoy Z1 which started life with the SST40 6A driver and now has an SFT40 with 8A driver. It lights up a house 260m from my place almost like it’s daylight. I know that’s nothing compared to dedicated throwers, but it’s handy being able to adjust the beam angle and use it for closer stuff.

The light that I reach for when I need throw is my Wildtrail WT90. Build quality is good and it sinks the heat well for decent Turbo runtimes before it steps down. It’s a 3 21700 cell light so the body is not too fat.
The throw doesn’t compare to the monsters available now that other members have been mentioning, but it’s more than enough for me. It only see’s usage when I go camping (if I’m lucky) twice a year, when I hear a strange noise outside my house at night, or just showing off to my friends. Other than that it just sits on my desk. My preference now is small hotrod lights that I can carry with me and use all the time.

My favourite thrower is my Astrolux FT03 with a dedomed XHP50.2.

I’d just received the 3V XHP50.2 from Cutter when they first became available and spotted an FT03 on eBay which was in need of new LED (as the installed SST40 had received an unsuccessful dedome attempt), perfect opportunity for my first reflow!

And as a torch it just seems to work really well and is my most versatile light. Despite the low CRI and notorious tint shift it is one of my most coherant lights, i can just see very clearly with it.

It has almost as much throw as the SST-40 version but i can still walk with it, and it ramps from low enough for me to be able to comfortably stare directly at the LED and see the individual dies to however bright a dedomed XHP50.2 is at 14A.

And i love Narsil.

Definitely a case of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts.

In second place though is the Sofirn SP10 Pro i put an XP-P and shaved Convoy 20mm 5 degree optic into.

WTAF!! No words :smiley:

I have three large throwers from 1Mcd to 1.75Mcd.

But I’m going with my midsize thrower.Very impressive for its size. Just need to have a handful batteries with me.

My modified K1.With SBT90.2

Turn on 5800 lumens/ 560Kcd.

The great thing about this light is that you don’t notice the reduction in output until about the 12 minute mark with the 50s battery. Basically, with any of the three batteries that I use, when there’s about 2 minutes left before it hits about 3.55 volts.

I get 15 minutes combined Max run time with a Samsung 50s and about 12 minutes with a P42A/40T. At that point they’re about 3.55 volts.

I have several other modified lights that run the same. In terms of output reduction, it isn’t noticed until batteries are nearly depleted.~3.55/3.6V.

First photo the tree is about 75 yards away.

Second photo about 175 yards away across the Frozen river.

Third and fourth photo about 200 yards away with one of the photos zoomed in.

At the moment it’s my Astrolux WP4 LEP. AKA Mateminco FW2. It’s about the size of a D4V2 and throws 1.3km.

Paired with a small headlamp, it makes for a useful combo when out for walks in the dark: helping spot paths, signposts and terrain a long way off.

As it’s so small, it means I can have a thrower with me “just in case” when out for the day - something you can’t do so easily with a LED flashlight that throws as far.

Honourable mentions go to:

• Lumintop GT Nano. It’s just so fun!
  • Manker MC13 SBT90.2. most impressive pocket rocket.

I don’t own it, but the Wuben A1 I tested was insane. There’s no other light that can do what it does. 20k lumens and 2400 m throw. Still does 1800 m throw after 5 minutes.

Otherwise the Haikeite HK90, Amutorch DM90, or WildTrail WT90. For portability the Thrunite Catapult Pro is great, and budget thrower it’s no question the L21B Sft40, and for a bit more money the L19 V1 or V2.

Thrunite Catapult V6
Sofirn IF22A

On the high/higher end, the WildTrail WT90 wins for me. I don’t have a K75 or an A1 but $130 for the WT90, I could not ask for more.

WT90 is a winner! I really like it. If it had a buck driver like the DM90 I’d like it even more.

Most impressive is the WT90. Best all around thrower, Fireflies T9R. Funnest pocket thrower, Astrolux WP4, plus looks cool AF too.