Zebralight H52w & H52Fw out in September?

Hmm, bummer. That is the first I have heard of this. The S6330 was on my “might buy list” if it ever came out in neutral.

Makes sense from a business perspective... just as hard if not harder to make the S6330 than three SC600 flashlights.

I expect it's a whole lot easier to sell the sc600 though, and probably with better margins.

Hopefully I'm wrong... really hope I'm wrong. I love mine, but I would love even more to have it with xml2's driven even harder on high.

Personally I think the smooth, flat body tube of the SC51/H51 looks quite a bit better than the ribbed SC52/H600, so I’m hoping the H52 stays with the smooth body style!

The h52w image on the website is not a h51!
Notice how the clip on the h52w is on the top…
Thus I believe it’s the real thing.

ZLh52w

ZLh51

Good catch. That’s encouraging to see!

Now available for pre-order from zebralight website.
Shipping starts: Oct 18, 2013.

Yep, I saw Illumination Supply is also starting to take pre-orders for this light, too. I’m very much tempted, but I just received a wonderful H51Fw and the current XM-L2’s don’t even come CLOSE to the XP-G2 as far as tint goes, this H51w is gorgeous!!

Cellguy is taking orders too.

I use mine for backpacking. I'll start hiking about half an hour before first light, so I need the light to break camp, find my food bag and walk until dawn puts enough light on the trail. At the end of the day I'll use it to look at my maps and make some notes, but sometimes I'll need it to hike and make camp if I screw up planning the end of my day. Answering nature's call in the middle of the night. Occasionally it's used to find whatever critter caught my attention.

What got me was:

spot+spill means I can down a narrow trail or spot animals far away with lower output levels than a floody light
32 gram weight
right angle light (headlamp or flashlight)
AA's so I can use super light lithium AA's
optional 14500 with 500 lumen output
all other output levels remain the same with 14500
super low low, of course

Hopefully this is everything it's supposed to be, and nothing it shouldn't because I'd really like this to be the end of my search for my ideal backpacking light.

h52w, pre-ordered! :slight_smile:

Just wondering if a H51x would be still fine for me. The only advantage of the H52 is (for me) that the clip can be mounted on the other end of the light as well. H51 are currently on sale at illumination supply for –44$ –54 plus tax shipped to Germany. That is reduced waiting and roughly half of compared to a H52 bought in EU. :bigsmile:
Are there any good sources for Zebralights that ship from EU (except nkon.nl that is out of stock and a french store that I found following a link from kreisl)?
Not sure if I shall go with the w or not. Someone has a link for beamshot comparisions?

It depends what you use it for. For backpacking the H51 is bright enough for me most of the time, but occasionally there's a bear or mountain lion that I'd like to shoo far away from camp, and the H51 may not have as much range as I'd like for that. Even so, I'll probably use my H52 with a lithium battery most of the time, and 280 lumens isn't much more than 200.

I don’t own 14500 batteries, so from my perspective the greatest improvement is the runtime:

H51:
High: H1 200 Lm (0.9 hrs) or H2 100 Lm (2.4 hrs) / 140 Lm (1.7 hrs) / 4Hz Strobe
Medium: M1 30 Lm (8 hrs) or M2 8 Lm (26 hrs)
Low: L1 2.5 Lm (3 days) or L2 0.2 Lm (16 days)

H52w:
High: H1 280 Lm (0.9 hrs) or H2 172 Lm (1.7 hrs) / 108 Lm (3 hrs)
Medium: M1 50 Lm (7.5 hrs) or M2 25 Lm (12 hrs) / 12 Lm (27 hrs)
Low: L1 2.7 Lm (4 days) or L2 0.34 Lm (3 weeks) / 0.06 Lm (2 months) / 0.01 Lm (3 months)

M1 of 50lm is enough light for trail running, and the H52w does it for 7.5h, whereas the H51 has either a 30lm M1 (8h) or a 100lm H2 (2.4h) but nothing inbetween…

So the h52 is definitely more efficient

I find 50 lumens a good level too, but I'm hiking. The 108 lumen level is about perfect to switch to when my ankles start getting tired. So that's a great point you've made. The H52w has much better levels for me.

How? I know the sale price of $49.50 + the discount from the zebrastripes code, but shipping comes to $11.73 for me in the UK.

The H51 will probably throw further than the H52 on ni-mh despite the output difference, due to the smaller surface area of the XP-G compared to XM-L2. The H52 will have a significantly wider hotspot though which is more useful for general purpose use.

H51w is going to have a much more neutral, green-free tint than the XM-L2 based H52w, if the H52w is anything like their other XM-L2 based lights like their SC52w.

As mentioned, the H51 also throws pretty well for a ’Zebra. I don’t think I’ll be replacing it with the H52…

@ RedForest UK: I striked my wrong numbers in my posting out and added yours. As for a PhD in engineering, this must have obviously been a typo… 0:) BTW, any good Zebra sources in EU to avoid tax formalities?

Thank u all, that was helpfull.

Higher efficiency of 52s (and wider hotspot) is sexy from a technology viewpoint, but runtime of 51s are fully sufficient for hiking, running and backpacking as well as general purpose, which are the main tasks in mind.

So the greenish H52w is out. Are both standard tint 51 and 52 on the warmth or is that only the 51? (where the S52w is to warm/yellowish, if I remember right?). Seems I narrowed it down to a 51w…

The ‘w’ does signify “neutral warm” from Zebralight, and that standard applies to just about all their lights. That doesn’t mean all their ‘w’ models have the same tint, unfortunately. The newer XM-L2 based lights I’ve personally seen and used (5) have all been slightly green/yellow. The tints on their XP-G based lights are really very nice, and much closer to what I think most people would call neutral white. I don’t see any green in my H51w.

Personally, i would rather see warm than green. I’m going for the w version.

Received an email from ZL saying they shipped my H52w :slight_smile:

I also got my e-mail today about my H52W being shipped :party: