Zooming Model List (2018 Updated) Tell us about your newest zoomie!

Agreed. Hopefully the FastTech one is still the same. I have a stash and haven’t needed to order for quite some time. It’s too bad the FastTech one doesn’t have the best tailcap though, I found the Banggood ones to have the best ones, and they where slightly larger. It looks like that Ebay one has the slightly larger tailcap. At that price I’d get a couple just to see if they are the good tailcaps, only if they shipped to Sweden.

Interesting light, where did you purchase it? Home Depo sell that brand but I didn’t see that model there. I googled “iProtect XHP50 nothing came up, then tried iProtect1400, saw it at Academy sports and BassPro ($40-$45) But the description shows: ”Runs on 6 AA batteries” And none of the listings show XHp50 or what the emitter is. (or am I looking a a different light?)

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/iprotec-outdoorsmen-1400-flashlight

If it is the same light, what did you do to fit 9xAA instead of 6? Also the descriptions show nothing about Li-ion, so that’s something you tried on your own? Interesting about 26500, I haven’t paid attention to that size, did you find some respectable 26500 cells?

Not sure I understand exactly what mods you’ve done, are you using the stock driver? What does the added partition board do?

hmmm yes $3.69 is worth it for a good tail cap alone, but I can’t tell the difference between the tails on the ebay one and the clones and Ultrafires on FT. I’ll have to try and find it on BG and look at the photos, tons of this light on aliexpress under a bunch of different brands.

Yeah man, I do not mind a few extra bucks if light is good. Unfortunately, this light was beyond ridiculous.

On a related note, I finally got rid of my last Atomic Beam USA. I opted out of any future zoomies due to square hot spot and shadow rings of light on exterior of hot spot.

I am not video savvy so I could not make a video. I try to be very detailed of my description so others can use the insight for making decision to buy or not.

Led Lenser zoomies have a round spot and almost no ring artifacts.

Deal Alert!
FiTorch P30Z (about 1/2 price)

Looks like a flat lens, Fresnel type? Or maybe just a flat outer lens? EDIT: It has a TIR optical lens.

Some less expensive zoomies also have a round spot, here’s a few

WUBEN LT35 ($21.99)
Amazon link: Amazon.com
Mfg page: Explore Our Range of Flashlights - EDC, Pen Lights, and Rechargeable Options
BLF Review: (Review) Wuben LT35 (Zoom)

FiTorch P30Z (See my post directly above)
Banggood link: https://www.banggood.com/Fitorch-P30Z-XP-L2-750Lumens-5Modes-High-Brighteness-Zoomable-LED-Flashlightt-p-1205117.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN
Amazon version: (Litesam brand-same light but different knurling) https://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Flashlight-Anti-Scratch-Water-Resistant-Emergency/dp/B076K77JMX/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1518767359&sr=8-2&keywords=litesam
BLF review: [The Lite Review]: FiTorch P30Z Review (Zoomie)

Okay, I got my ThorFire TA13 today.

The build quality is good.

It always starts on high.

The tint looks kinda neutral to me, which I like.

Overall, I'm very happy with it.

Thanks for the feedback! Good to hear about the tint.

Personally I prefer starting on high except in very small lights AAA/AA/14500 etc.

Added to list…

Litesam E11 Z
750 Lumen Tactical Flashlight Zoomable

This is said to be the same as Fitorch P30Z but with diamond knurling, Litesam is Fitorch’s amazon exclusive line.

I want one just for the aggressive looking knurling!

https://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Flashlight-Anti-Scratch-Water-Resistant-Emergency/dp/B076K77JMX/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1517377813&sr=8-3&keywords=litesam&linkCode=sl1&tag=tlr0e0-20&linkId=9f5ba2e45182a8d2f1477c51d9b0fe6a

Lights looks cool. But it it suffer from square hot spot with shadow rings of light around it?

I’ve been thinking about getting this 18650 zoomie to make some mods!
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Powerful-260LM-CREE-LED-Flashlight-3-Mode-Zoomable-Waterproof-Torch-Outdoor-Sports-Camping-Hiking-Size-CE01/32800850436.html?spm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.291.hVsEYH

Don’t know it it is good quality, but I’ll try it soon! I’ll probably get some other AA zoomie lights (generic shape) from their store to make some mods as well. Here are the links (all are non-affiliate):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mini-Penlight-LED-Flashlight-800LM-Waterproof-LED-Torch-3-Modes-Zoomable-Focus-Lantern-Portable-pocket-adjut/32832095148.html?spm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.294.hVsEYH

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Adjustable-LED-Flashlight-800LM-lampelantern-Torch-Zoomable-Penlight-lanternas-de-Waterresistant-chenglnn-convoy-flashlight/32830494648.html?spm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.297.hVsEYH

I got a walk with my Severe Cold yesterday.
Conclusions:

• I love push pull zoomies! Who cares they are cooling-challenged and not completely waterproof? A slight hand movement directs the light where I want it, be it close or far and that’s much more important
  • I love TIR optics - you don’t lose so much light when zooming in
  • Out of focus this is a flooder, as expected. Focused it is not a thrower - small optics and low amount of light means that you don’t see far.
  • Only once I was disturebed by the ringy beam, when looking up close

mmalive, would you please elaborate on these shortcomings you’ve described? Do you own this flashlight or have have you tried one? If not where did you hear of these issues?

The review (linked below) neither shows or mentions a square spot (even when fully zoomed out) in fact the absence of a square spot is claimed to be one of the advantages of this light, shadow rings aren’t mentioned either and I don’t see a square spot or rings in any of the beamshots.

Review: FiTorch P30Z Review (Zoomie) – The Lite Review

At the very bottom of the review under “Where to buy Links” it shows a Banggood link for the FiTorch P30Z and an Amazon link to this light, with the note:
(“Marketed under “Litesam” for their Amazon market”) identifying the Litesam version as being the same light as the FiTorch P30Z in the review.

I also don’t see any of what you describe being mentioned in any of the Amazon or Banggood reviews, all are 5-star.
I’ve also checked other forums and did a google search but was unable to find any mention of the issues you described.

All of my zoomies suffer from square hot spot and shadow rings. Atomic Beam, Harbor Freight Quantum, Tasco TX7, etc….

I’ve been eyeing this model as well, it certainly has a quality look to it for the price, it does have the look of a higher priced flashlight! Also it’s unique squared off head design (I like) caught my eye. It almost made my zoomie list in the OP but I was put off by its low output (260lm) compared to other XML lights in it’s size/price category.

However, is it possible the XP-E emitter could have better throw capability than the XP-L based lights? I don’t know the answer, but the appearance of it, and its low price also made me consider trying it for a mod host. I’m happy to see someone is trying it and I’ll be very interested to hear what you think about it!

This one is (a different brand of) the same light I reviewed that inspired me to start this zoomie thread! (See OP of this thread)

It has a much wider flood profile than the SK68. The same light is sold under various brand names.
Here’s a link to my review of it: :Review of TactFire TS-1 Mini Zooming Flashlight (AA/14500)

Maybe what you said about this flashlight was a question and not a comment? Did you mean “Does it suffer” instead of “But it suffer”? (because the question mark at the end)?

Anyhow it sounds like you do not have this flashlight and you have not seen, read, or heard of these issues with it.

Yes the majority of zoomies have the square hot spot, and many have a ringy beam, there are some however that are engineered to not display the square spot when fully zoomed out, and some have a smoother less ringy spill.

All the flashlights you mentioned are around $6 flashlights (not sure what a TX7 is but Tasco made an XR7) So there is not a lot of quality engineering with those, yes those type of light will “suffer” from square spot and rings (some people prefer the square spot though, it’s a bit more intense)
This light that you replied about however has a completely different optic system than those.

Enderman and I answered your concerns above in posts #137 and #139 when we replied to your statement: _“I opted out of any future zoomies due to square hot spot and shadow rings of light on exterior of hot spot_” I even listed this light (Fitorch version - same light) in my reply of lights that don’t have a square spot.

Thanks for the reply you had me a bit worried since I just ordered the Litesam E11Z partially based on the review showing it doesn’t have a square hotspot and the beam shots show a nice beam with no ringy artifacts.

:slight_smile:

Argo, I’m sorry maybe I lost track, which light are you referring to?

Hey guys, I bought the jaxman z1 Oslon Black modded from this forum… he is a light king. Will be getting it on Friday. Will update.

Went to aliexpress and see if they got any stock… boom. They got 2 x 26650 xhp50 verison in 3 different tint… over 60 quantity available.

I like 2 x 26650 for the longer runtime.