Samsung date codes

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
marcl
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/30/2012 - 09:02
Posts: 1780
Location: United Kingdom
Samsung date codes

Does anyone know how the date codes on Samsung cells translate?

Thanks,

Marc.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

marcl
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/30/2012 - 09:02
Posts: 1780
Location: United Kingdom

Come on guys, I know there is someone here that can work out the date codes on these cells. Wink

Thanks,

Marc.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

Hopback
Hopback's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 04/19/2012 - 15:32
Posts: 564
Location: West Sussex

Hi Marc, page fifteen of this explains it

www.batteryspace.com/prod-specs/6615.pdf

Not got any to hand to check it though!

Woody

marcl
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/30/2012 - 09:02
Posts: 1780
Location: United Kingdom

Hopback wrote:
Hi Marc, page fifteen of this explains it

www.batteryspace.com/prod-specs/6615.pdf

Not got any to hand to check it though!

Woody

Thanks Woody! Smile

Marc.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

marcl
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/30/2012 - 09:02
Posts: 1780
Location: United Kingdom

Hi Woody I have this, but I can’t work it out from the info. Can you help?

Samsung ICR18650-26F

SDI 2CB3

Thanks,

Marc.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

Hopback
Hopback's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 04/19/2012 - 15:32
Posts: 564
Location: West Sussex

Yes I can see the problem….the info I gave you was cr@p!

I will do some more digging and see what I can find. Have you been salvaging laptop packs?

Woody

marcl
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/30/2012 - 09:02
Posts: 1780
Location: United Kingdom

Hopback wrote:
Yes I can see the problem….the info I gave you was cr@p!

I will do some more digging and see what I can find. Have you been salvaging laptop packs?

Woody

No, Fasttech has some, I am just trying to find out how old they are.

Thanks again Woody. Smile

Marc.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

vortexpt
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Joined: 03/07/2013 - 10:29
Posts: 8
Location: Portugal

I believe that’s what you’re looking for.
I have no idea how the code would be for a 2010-2013 cell, maybe both digits or maybe just one, your guess is as good as mine.

Edit:
Forgot to mention, it says the lot markings are on the metal, but on the ones I have the code is on the plastic, just a very faint colour when compared to the manufacturer code. So unless the photographer wanted you to see the code, you won’t see it. (but, mine are old, the marking scheme might have changed and now it might really be only printed on the metal)

As shown on this photo

Edit 2:
Only now did I notice that Hopback gave the exact same info about the codes. Sorry about that. Still, my comment about the colour of the printing being very faint might help.

marcl
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/30/2012 - 09:02
Posts: 1780
Location: United Kingdom

vortexpt wrote:

I believe that’s what you’re looking for.
I have no idea how the code would be for a 2010-2013 cell, maybe both digits or maybe just one, your guess is as good as mine.

Edit:
Forgot to mention, it says the lot markings are on the metal, but on the ones I have the code is on the plastic, just a very faint colour when compared to the manufacturer code. So unless the photographer wanted you to see the code, you won’t see it. (but, mine are old, the marking scheme might have changed and now it might really be only printed on the metal)

As shown on this photo

Edit 2:
Only now did I notice that Hopback gave the exact same info about the codes. Sorry about that. Still, my comment about the colour of the printing being very faint might help.

Thank you for that, but I think this is the wrong cell. The one I am looking at is the 26F. But I appreciated your help.

Marc.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

eebowler
eebowler's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 08/13/2012 - 11:34
Posts: 1833
Location: Trinidad and Tobago GMT -4

WRT the samsung 30A, I have the date code J0A6, 55G41… and for a 26F, the code: H7D2, 8D911. I’d be real freaking upset if I got 2006, ICR18650-30A cells from fasttech…

My gratitude to those who are willing and able to help others (in whatever way you can)! Being human is more than just existing for yourself. Smile

ImA4Wheelr
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 16 hours ago
Joined: 02/03/2013 - 14:51
Posts: 7862
Location: SC

Moving this here from another thread:

I have heard that the date code is no longer on the cells as of some time in 2010. Supposedly, the date code is on the box from the manufacturer. Hoping that is wrong. Here is an sample of the cell label now. Does anyone know what the 3rd line represents now?  Anyone see the faint markings that are mentioned above?  I need to check mine tonight.

 

sixty545
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 4 weeks ago
Joined: 10/25/2010 - 14:15
Posts: 702
Location: Denmark (GMT + 1)

THE SAMSUNG RIDDLE…
And my solution.

I just got 2 brand new? Samsung 30Q from Gearbest and tried to find the manufacturing date in the myriad of rules that can be found in this Forum.
My cells read (on the wrapper):
INR18650-30Q
SAMSUNG SDI
136
and on the can underneath the wrapper: JOFC-6BC21 and JOFC-6B781

Well, the (bad) rules tell me that the manufacturing year is C=2012 ! NO WAY!
I measured the cells at 3Amps and they have top performance. They cannot be 4 years old!

I found an old thread by xelario where he lists the markings from 4 Samsung 26F as follows:
on the wrappers and on the cans:
Wrapper……….Can:

  1. 2E23……….H7E2__82291 (SDI=Korea).
  2. 2DC4……….I7DC__8CI11 (SDI=Korea).
  3. TER1……….B7ER__M31B (SDIEM=Malaysia).
  4. TEV2……….C7EV__84S11 (SDIEM=Malaysia).

using some logic:

1. Year cannot be digit 4 on the can (2,C,R,V) (mine are NOT from 2012, then).
2. On xelarios wrappers Year,month is normally found as digits 2 and 3 (E=2014, D=2013,2=feb.,C=dec. – plausible!).
3. I have only 3 digits on my wrapper! -can’t use that.
4. Look at cans digits 3 and 4 in xelario’s numbers – the same as year and month!!! I can use that.
5. For SDIEM (malaysia) the month goes from ‘O’ to ‘Z’ (found that rule somewhere)

Then xelario’s cells are fabricated in 2014-feb, 2013-dec, 2014-apr, 2014-aug
and mine in FC= 2015-dec, =brand new! Big Smile

Thanks for reading!

sixty545
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 4 weeks ago
Joined: 10/25/2010 - 14:15
Posts: 702
Location: Denmark (GMT + 1)

eebowler wrote:
WRT the samsung 30A, I have the date code J0A6, 55G41… and for a 26F, the code: H7D2, 8D911. I’d be real freaking upset if I got 2006, ICR18650-30A cells from fasttech…

I know this is an old post but I can’t help trying my new rule ( previous post) on this.
You are in luck, code A6 is 2010, june and code D2 is 2013, feb.
ImA4Wheelr
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 16 hours ago
Joined: 02/03/2013 - 14:51
Posts: 7862
Location: SC

Hi sixty545. I’m fighting a virus right now and my thinking is very fuzzy right now, I can’t seem to make sense of what you have reported. I’ll reread your post tomorrow when I hopefully feel better. Thanks for taking interest in this matter. It will be great to be able to determine date of manufacture for these types of cells.

I see the code that you mentioned. It’s a bit faint, but can seem through the wrapper. One of my 30q cells has the following label near the positive end:

JOF8
67FC1

A little lower, it says:

1CD2
1CD2

EDIT: Fixed numerous typos for like the 4th time.

EDIT2: I think I follow you now. I think you’re saying that the last 2 digits of the first marking on the can is the date code with the 3rd digit being year and the 4th month as follows:

3rd Digit:
A = 2010
B = 2011
C = 2012
D = 2013
E = 2014
F = 2015

4th Digit:
1 = Jan
2 = Feb
3 = Mar
4 = Apr
5 = May
6 = Jun
7 = Jul
8 = Aug
9 = Sep
A = Oct
B = Nov
C = Dec

So my cell was probably made in August 2015?

sixty545
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 4 weeks ago
Joined: 10/25/2010 - 14:15
Posts: 702
Location: Denmark (GMT + 1)

Exactly! My post can not be read alone but together with the previous to fully understand, I think. It was also meant as a little happening. And I did not want to go into day of month (to keep it simple).

I hope you get over your virus soon!

ImA4Wheelr
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 16 hours ago
Joined: 02/03/2013 - 14:51
Posts: 7862
Location: SC

Thanks sixty545. Your theory seems solid and is great news. I think you broke the code! Thanks again. Smile

Thanks also for the well wish. I think the fever broke last night. So should be recovering pretty fast at this point.

d_t_a
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 16 min ago
Joined: 08/04/2017 - 23:58
Posts: 1079
Location: Manila, Philippines

Revisiting this Samsung date code.

I got a few Samsung INR18650-30Q, and using the info above to try to decipher the date code.

Under the wrapper (I did not unwrap the wrapper, but just tried to look at the faint code underneath the wrapper).

I can see these codes for 2 different 30Qs:

L0I5-657C1 E1B1
L0I9-69521 A2E9

anyone try to decipher the code?

Noir
Noir's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 06/03/2018 - 09:13
Posts: 66
Location: Germany

Quote From Datasheet:

Quote:

Lot marking:

There are three lines on the cell metal can as follows.

Line 1 : J0E1

1 st digit: Line number ( “1” for cylindrical line No.1, “J” for cylindrical line No. 8)
2 nd digit: Final number of Model Name (“0” is INR18650-30x)
3 rd digit: Year ( “E” is 2014)
4 th digit: Month ( “1” is January ; A is Oct., B is Nov., C is Dec)

Line 2 : 61111

1 st digit: Negative coater number ( “6” is No. 6 coater)
2 nd ~ 4 th digit: Batch number
5 th digit: Serial No. of assembling

Line 3 : H1E8

1st digit: Date (“H” is 17th day ; 10 is A, 11 is B…)
2nd digit: Serial No. of winding in a batch
3rd digit: Reel No ( “E” is E reel ; A is A reel, B is B reel, ... F is F reel)
4th digit: Winding Machine No. ( “8” is No.8 winder)

L0I5 657C1 E1B1 = 2018 May 14th

L0I9 69521 A2E9 = 2018 September 10th

The first two lines are directly below each other, the third line (4 digits) is further down and usually somewhere else around the circumference of the cell.

d_t_a
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 16 min ago
Joined: 08/04/2017 - 23:58
Posts: 1079
Location: Manila, Philippines

Noir wrote:

Quote From Datasheet:

Quote:

Lot marking:

There are three lines on the cell metal can as follows.

Line 1 : J0E1

1 st digit: Line number ( “1” for cylindrical line No.1, “J” for cylindrical line No. 8)
2 nd digit: Final number of Model Name (“0” is INR18650-30x)
3 rd digit: Year ( “E” is 2014)
4 th digit: Month ( “1” is January ; A is Oct., B is Nov., C is Dec)

Line 2 : 61111

1 st digit: Negative coater number ( “6” is No. 6 coater)
2 nd ~ 4 th digit: Batch number
5 th digit: Serial No. of assembling

Line 3 : H1E8

1st digit: Date (“H” is 17th day ; 10 is A, 11 is B…)
2nd digit: Serial No. of winding in a batch
3rd digit: Reel No ( “E” is E reel ; A is A reel, B is B reel, ... F is F reel)
4th digit: Winding Machine No. ( “8” is No.8 winder)

L0I5 = 2018 May

L0I9 = 2018 September

For the day look further down on the metal can for the 4 digit code. The first two lines are directly below each other, the third is usually somewhere else around the circumference of the cell.

Thanks!

So these 30Qs I got are quite new ones.

I've gotten the 3rd line -- A2E9 and E1B1.

A = 10th day

E = 14th day

 

Thus,

I5 - E1B1 ==> May 14, 2018

I9 - A2E9 ==> September 10, 2018

Noir
Noir's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 06/03/2018 - 09:13
Posts: 66
Location: Germany

d_t_a wrote:

 

Thanks!

So these 30Qs I got are quite new ones.

I've gotten the 3rd line -- A2E9 and E1B1.

A = 10th day

E = 14th day

 

Thus,

I5 - E1B1 ==> May 14, 2018

I9 - A2E9 ==> September 10, 2018

Correct!