What blade did you EDC today?

2769 posts / 0 new
Last post
8steve88
8steve88's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 07/08/2013 - 11:22
Posts: 1828
Location: Cleveland U.K.

Cereal_killer wrote:
Couple of strange ones today doing some yard work.

Byrd HB is the only knife I own that is tip down, the clip mounting location for tip-up is exactly where your palm goes. The kershaw has a very cool lock.
Both are nightmare’s to sharpen.


I’m presuming that the Byrd serrations are the same, different, size as Spyderedge serrations.
I’ve a couple of items that might help with the sharpening – Lansky make a ceramic sharpener for Spyderco serrations -
Lansky Spdyer sharpener.
And for all plain edged blades but especially good on recurve blades -
Lansky 4 rod turn box.
I’ve linked to a U.K. supplier, obviously you’ll get them for less if you are in the U.S.A.
There’s also a Spyder sharpener for Cold Steel serrations and a multi sharp for normal serrations, they all sharpen plain blades as well.
A lot less money than a Spyderco Sharpmaker, over here anyway.
I only have one Spyderedge blade so the Lansky Spyder Sharpener was ideal for me
Cereal_killer
Cereal_killer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 59 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 07/22/2013 - 13:10
Posts: 3271
Location: Columbus, OH USA Earth

For it (and all serrations) I use a paper wheel. For the kershaw I use my DMT Diamond files in a custom block I made out of Cherry. I have a pretty advanced sharpening setup, I actually enjoy sharpening / maintenance more than acquiring new blades!

Always remember SPC Joey Riley, KIA 11/24/14

 

My 3535 give away

8steve88
8steve88's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 07/08/2013 - 11:22
Posts: 1828
Location: Cleveland U.K.

I’ve been handling this today, getting it loosened up, didn’t really need it but what the hell.
42mm blade and an unusual opening/closing action, the whole blade swivels open/closed as the carabiner follows on the other end, it has a decent détente thanks to the ball détente system in the liners.
There are four models each with a different design etched on the scales.


The SanRenMu logo let into the scales on this side helps with gripping the knife.

Joat
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 06/13/2013 - 23:43
Posts: 521
Location: Minnesota
Cereal_killer wrote:
I actually enjoy sharpening / maintenance more than acquiring new blades!

I’ve got some I could send you. Smile

8steve88
8steve88's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 07/08/2013 - 11:22
Posts: 1828
Location: Cleveland U.K.
Cereal_killer wrote:
For it (and all serrations) I use a paper wheel. For the kershaw I use my DMT Diamond files in a custom block I made out of Cherry. I have a pretty advanced sharpening setup, I actually enjoy sharpening / maintenance more than acquiring new blades!

I quite like sharpening as well.
I have a lot of Lansky sets with the hones including the diamond set and use them for damaged blades or re-profiling but I had nothing for deep recurves so I decided that instead of paying for a set of the curved hones that a crock stick set would be the way to go and I’m loving it.
The hones are great and I leave them assembled with the rods so it’s quicker to set up but the crock stick gives a very sharp finish for little effort. I can stick it in a pocket and take it out and about, I’ve even attached a spirit level to the top so I can be sure if it’s level on uneven surfaces.
I’ve seen the paper wheels but at the moment have nothing to put them on to spin them.

lekvar
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: 03/13/2014 - 01:29
Posts: 123
Location: Left Coast
8steve88 wrote:
M3TAL_L0RD wrote:


Supposed to be Sandvik 12C27 steel.

I’ve got a couple of those, SanRenMu are starting to use Sandvik 12C27 in some of their new knives, it makes a nice change but they do 8Cr13MoV heat treat so well it’ll be hard to beat. They are both good quality relatively inexpensive steels.

I got a 7078 after reading your review here, and I’ve been carrying it all week , mindlessly flipping it open. I like the ball detente lock better than I thought I would. It hasn’t loosened up yet but it is a fun knife.

8steve88
8steve88's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 07/08/2013 - 11:22
Posts: 1828
Location: Cleveland U.K.

lekvar, if you like the 7078 and your local laws allow then the 9054 would be a step up in length, it also has a hole in the blade that matches shaped liners, when anything, I use a 550 Paracord lanyard and one strand of that is enough, is placed in the hole it stops the blade from closing, sort of like a lock knife that isn’t.
It uses the same ball détente liners and is a flipper, the détente is a bit stronger though.

With all the ball détente you can open them up and bend the ball détente arms to make them tighter or slacker but do it evenly or the blade won’t be centred.
The insides.

The 7078’s are a great little knife, I have another on order now.

Dale
Dale's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 10/19/2012 - 07:26
Posts: 3188
Location: WV

Dale
Dale's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 10/19/2012 - 07:26
Posts: 3188
Location: WV

wiljen wrote:
Dale wrote:
wiljen wrote:
I’ll second the Hattori, although I carry the original rather than the junglee.

!http://www.castpics.net/hf.jpg!

Who made the original? It was my understanding the Original was from Seki Japan & they have copies made in Taiwan or something.

Ichiro Hattori of Japan made the original series. He started out in 1954 at Masohiro in Japan making knives for export to Tekna. In 1971 he opened his own workshop and made hunting knives. The fighter first appeared in 1978 as a handmade from his shop and could be ordered with a choice of 4 woods for handle material. Mine was ordered in 1982 with Cocobolo. I ordered one in Ebony in 1989 that is slightly different in blade geometry (about 1.5mm longer with a slightly different placement of the blood groove). I think it would be hard to find all the minor variations as there are no serial numbers and no differentiation of lots that I can find. Junglee approached Hattori in 1993 about mass producing his knives in Taiwan. All of the Junglee production has been in 440c while originals can be found in ATS-34 or more recently AUS-8 steels. The big draw to the Junglee was its price at <$75 and its immediate availability. Originals can still be bought if/when he makes a run of them but they run $300-600 depending on materials (still a bargain for the quality) and usually sell out his production runs in less than a day.

You can keep an eye on what is available from him here:http://www.japaneseknifedirect.com/hattori.html

+1 Thanks!

jealous57
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 04/17/2014 - 22:29
Posts: 698
Location: Upstate NY, USA

I have a bunch of knives but this is the only one I ever carry.

Ouchyfoot
Ouchyfoot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 09/01/2012 - 06:15
Posts: 5089
Location: Canada

N.E.R.O. Nighthawk FX-117-CT

A little bit different. Composite blade set in a comfy, wide, boxy handle.

The blade is N690Co (cobalt vanadium) bonded to a titanium spine

 

Note the secondary locking mechanism. When this is engaged, the liner lock cannot be disengaged. Rock solid lock-up.

 

 

 

 

downlinx
downlinx's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/09/2014 - 09:38
Posts: 1292
Location: Indiana, USA

Went camping over the weekend and took out the Spin Drift(won the knife in a giveaway, only giveaway I have one.)

BLF Community Battery Pull Thread http://budgetlightforum.com/node/32720

isti242
isti242's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 07/09/2011 - 15:11
Posts: 1271
Location: EU
downlinx wrote:
Went camping over the weekend and took out the Spin Drift(won the knife in a giveaway, only giveaway I have one.) !{height:400px; width:800px}http://www.sierra12.com/uploads/2/9/5/2/29525509/7751757_orig.jpg!

Wow, that’s a serious blade!

Richwouldnt
Richwouldnt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 4 days ago
Joined: 05/24/2014 - 00:22
Posts: 1353
Location: Reno, NV, USA, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Known Universe

Benchmade 940-1 with Carbon Fiber scales and a CPM-S90V blade. Been my EDC for several months. A beautiful, functional and light weight knife.

Rich Wood
Reno, NV

Racer
Racer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 05/07/2013 - 00:39
Posts: 1792
Location: Hillsboro, OR
downlinx wrote:
Went camping over the weekend and took out the Spin Drift(won the knife in a giveaway, only giveaway I have one.) !{height:400px; width:800px}http://www.sierra12.com/uploads/2/9/5/2/29525509/7751757_orig.jpg!

Very nice!

Dale
Dale's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 10/19/2012 - 07:26
Posts: 3188
Location: WV

8steve88
8steve88's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 07/08/2013 - 11:22
Posts: 1828
Location: Cleveland U.K.
Ouchyfoot wrote:

N.E.R.O. Nighthawk FX-117-CT

A little bit different. Composite blade set in a comfy, wide, boxy handle.

The blade is N690Co (cobalt vanadium) bonded to a titanium spine

 

Note the secondary locking mechanism. When this is engaged, the liner lock cannot be disengaged. Rock solid lock-up.

 

 

 

 

Great knife, I like the composite blade, there’s a couple of Kershaws that have them but your Nighthawk is much better looking and I bet performing as well.
That secondary lock is the Lake And Walker Knife Safety or LAWKS and can be AutoLawks that engages every time the knife is opened or the manual Lawks that you set by sliding the peg forwards, a lot of CRKT knives have it, the Hammond Cruiser is fitted with the manual type as is the Harnds Blazer, I have both of them. As you say rock solid lock up, the linerlock can’t disengage with the LAWKS applied.

isti242
isti242's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 07/09/2011 - 15:11
Posts: 1271
Location: EU
8steve88 wrote:
Great knife, I like the composite blade, there’s a couple of Kershaws that have them but your Nighthawk is much better looking and I bet performing as well. That secondary lock is the Lake And Walker Knife Safety or LAWKS and can be AutoLawks that engages every time the knife is opened or the manual Lawks that you set by sliding the peg forwards, a lot of CRKT knives have it, the Hammond Cruiser is fitted with the manual type as is the Harnds Blazer, I have both of them. As you say rock solid lock up, the linerlock can’t disengage with the LAWKS applied.

IMO the auto LAWKS is the most annoying feature they put on a folder ever.
Kershaw has some serious composite blade folders with M390, Elmax, S110V, CPM-D2 steels too.

sandalian
sandalian's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 05/05/2012 - 19:23
Posts: 507
Location: Indonesia

I carry these stuffs today.

I'm switching my BLF account into LumenZilla. Thanks!

travis
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 03/19/2012 - 23:54
Posts: 910
Location: SoCal

A.G. Russell Featherlite One Hand Knife

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the

right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Ouchyfoot
Ouchyfoot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 09/01/2012 - 06:15
Posts: 5089
Location: Canada
isti242 wrote:
8steve88 wrote:
Great knife, I like the composite blade, there’s a couple of Kershaws that have them but your Nighthawk is much better looking and I bet performing as well. That secondary lock is the Lake And Walker Knife Safety or LAWKS and can be AutoLawks that engages every time the knife is opened or the manual Lawks that you set by sliding the peg forwards, a lot of CRKT knives have it, the Hammond Cruiser is fitted with the manual type as is the Harnds Blazer, I have both of them. As you say rock solid lock up, the linerlock can’t disengage with the LAWKS applied.

IMO the auto LAWKS is the most annoying feature they put on a folder ever.
Kershaw has some serious composite blade folders with M390, Elmax, S110V, CPM-D2 steels too.


The N.E.R.O. nighthawk has the manual LAWKS system.(only engage it when needed.

I hate the autoLAWKS system. I also find it annoying having to resort to one handed contortions every time I want to close my knife.
I have some CRKT knives that came with autoLAWKS. I merely opened them up and removed the offending parts. Now I really like them, especially the Carson “M” class flippers.

Carson M1 with autoLAWKS

Carson M1 with with autoLAWKS removed

Cereal_killer
Cereal_killer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 59 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 07/22/2013 - 13:10
Posts: 3271
Location: Columbus, OH USA Earth

Ouchyfoot wrote:

N.E.R.O. Nighthawk FX-117-CT

A little bit different. Composite blade set in a comfy, wide, boxy handle.

The blade is N690Co (cobalt vanadium) bonded to a titanium spine

Note the secondary locking mechanism. When this is engaged, the liner lock cannot be disengaged. Rock solid lock-up. 

 

damn man why did to have you post that?! I haven't bought a new knife in a long time... 

I do wish you could see the braze filler more pronounced but still that looks awesome, the handle reminds me of what all the cheap budget/ china Kershaw's try to be. 

Always remember SPC Joey Riley, KIA 11/24/14

 

My 3535 give away

isti242
isti242's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 07/09/2011 - 15:11
Posts: 1271
Location: EU

Ouchyfoot wrote:

The N.E.R.O. nighthawk has the manual LAWKS system.(only engage it when needed.

I hate the autoLAWKS system. I also find it annoying having to resort to one handed contortions every time I want to close my knife.
I have some CRKT knives that came with autoLAWKS. I merely opened them up and removed the offending parts. Now I really like them, especially the Carson “M” class flippers.

You’re right the “M” series deserves another chance. Smile

Dale
Dale's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 10/19/2012 - 07:26
Posts: 3188
Location: WV

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 18522
Location: Heart of Texas

That composite folder is making me WANT

I’ve already been looking at getting a Manix 2 or Paramilitary 2 as I have never had a Spyderco or anything else with S30V blade steel.

Seeing many of these has me looking them up and scheming to afford them.

Dale

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 18522
Location: Heart of Texas

Beta Ti throughout, blade to screw to clip. Hand polished blade, with polished accents on the bevel of the frame. Frame lock style. Anodized light green on blade, frame/scales are a deep purple/bronze with the highlight being bright purple.

Dale

8steve88
8steve88's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 07/08/2013 - 11:22
Posts: 1828
Location: Cleveland U.K.
isti242 wrote:
IMO the auto LAWKS is the most annoying feature they put on a folder ever. Kershaw has some serious composite blade folders with M390, Elmax, S110V, CPM-D2 steels too.

I only have two with the LAWKS manual system, none of the auto LAWKS, I could see it getting removed in short order. I’ve not had either of mine apart yet, neither have anything that needs sorting yet, I might “forget” to replace it though if I take them apart.

Kershaw have some very nice knives with composite blades, Junkyard Dog 2, Rake and a couple of Leeks, Sandvik 14C28N with a D2 cutting edge, very nice indeed.

Ouchyfoot
Ouchyfoot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 09/01/2012 - 06:15
Posts: 5089
Location: Canada

DBCstm wrote:
Beta Ti throughout, blade to screw to clip. Hand polished blade, with polished accents on the bevel of the frame. Frame lock style. Anodized light green on blade, frame/scales are a deep purple/bronze with the highlight being bright purple.

Wow! An all titanium knife!
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a knife with a titanium blade before.
How do you sharpen it?

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 18522
Location: Heart of Texas

It shaves, but isn’t tough enough to stay sharp like the premium steels. It’s a Beta Ti that Mission developed, in the 46Rc hardness range if I remember right. I’m a Ti freak.

Dale

Ouchyfoot
Ouchyfoot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 09/01/2012 - 06:15
Posts: 5089
Location: Canada

 Benchmade Kulgera (Osborne 930) with black and blue G10

  

 

 

 And I'd like to thank Dale for starting this thread. I've been ignoring my blades since I started modding flashlights.

My knives are all over the place...lost and misplaced. Today I got off my ass and started organizing my knives. I half heartedly started this project two years ago and got side tracked.

Hopefully I'll hhave this finished by the end of the week, and find knives that have been misplaced and forgotten.

  

  

 

 

 

 

 

Pages