ENEDED

151 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

freeme
freeme's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 11/14/2013 - 22:00
Posts: 7042
ENEDED

ENEDED

Edited by: freeme on 05/07/2019 - 23:53
ReManG
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 04/25/2015 - 22:52
Posts: 2541
Location: Between the Mexico's

Man, I like that anodizing color…

Looking forward to the rest of the review…

When you shake the light side to side fast, can you see the PWM in the beam?

ALL of my links are non-affiliated for your pleasure...

My Reviews

Lithium Ion Battery Safety 101

 

M4D M4X
M4D M4X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 50 sec ago
Joined: 03/19/2014 - 05:17
Posts: 7126
Location: Austria (GMT + 1)

nice review freeme!

 

already member of M4DM4X.com ?

the best deals are waiting for YOU!

 

before you buy elsewhere mail me: MARTIN@M4DM4X.COM - i will try to save you money!

everydaysurvivalgear
everydaysurvivalgear's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 07/31/2015 - 10:25
Posts: 3260
Location: sydney australia (GMT+10)

How did i miss this review!

Did you try the light with IMR cells? I can see the difference in performance when using Soshine 16430s and Fandyfire IMR cells (I know lol fandyfire).

That is about standard run time for a 16340 flashlight either way it will step down because of heat or power.

akoposilester
akoposilester's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 47 sec ago
Joined: 07/12/2014 - 01:09
Posts: 524
Location: SEA

Since it is not 920 claimed lumens, What is the actual lumens? N

FL Newbie

charles lin
charles lin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 03/09/2016 - 17:08
Posts: 370
Location: SoCal, US

akoposilester wrote:
Since it is not 920 claimed lumens, What is the actual lumens? N

According to Chinese web site, 600lumens for 1A, about 480lumens for 5c.
will34
will34's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2012 - 00:12
Posts: 3546

Nice review! Is that a DQG tiny AA next to the Olight S1?

ReManG
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 04/25/2015 - 22:52
Posts: 2541
Location: Between the Mexico's

I measured standby drain at .007ma on the one I ordered… I like the UI as well, strobes are well hidden with the triple click.

ALL of my links are non-affiliated for your pleasure...

My Reviews

Lithium Ion Battery Safety 101

 

saypat
saypat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 20:32
Posts: 3233
Location: Calif

lots of good things written about this light. But something is weird. Our Forum knows ‘good.’ And if it is good we would be well over 100 orders by now? Strange. Still on the fence here, and on the list Smile

quetzalcoatl
quetzalcoatl's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 04/25/2016 - 05:17
Posts: 540
Location: Northern county

Because of 16340/ CR123A batteries??

everydaysurvivalgear
everydaysurvivalgear's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 07/31/2015 - 10:25
Posts: 3260
Location: sydney australia (GMT+10)

Yea lots of people do not like 16340s they prefer 14500 or even 18650 i ran that pole must be 10-1 towards 14500 against the 16340s

ReManG
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 04/25/2015 - 22:52
Posts: 2541
Location: Between the Mexico's

Considering the vendor is Gearbest, the 16340 battery size and it looks too good to be true, it is understandable… But not really when you consider the following.

Gearbest has given me no issues with any group buy, the D80, BLF 348 and even a dashcam I recently ordered, or the $25 version of this light with the battery and charger included. They have stepped up their process quite a bit from late last year…. Freeme seems to have great communication for his deals as well.

This is a stock light, so no worries there like the “custom” group buys. A couple of decent 16340’s will set you back no more than one top end 18650, so that should not be an issue…

I am down for three more, as I like small lights, and this one is a great build with great features, especially now that I actually have one, and can use it. It may not be your favorite light, but it will be one you use a lot…

ALL of my links are non-affiliated for your pleasure...

My Reviews

Lithium Ion Battery Safety 101

 

flatbear
flatbear's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/25/2015 - 03:05
Posts: 14
Location: SF

Nice review! what’s the real world lumen output on this? also is it a better deal to buy the one from gearbest for 24 dollars that comes with battery and charger or to get this one and buy battery and charger separately?

daninho
daninho's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 10/08/2014 - 10:29
Posts: 370
Location: Germany

I think it has less interest because everybody already owns olight Sxx lights already because gearbest sold them like hot cakes for cheap a while ago including the S15R,S1,S30 etc.. The S1 is just smaller.

freeme
freeme's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 11/14/2013 - 22:00
Posts: 7042

Their Olight sale prices at that time was a steal and I am glad that I have purchased all mentioned models. Unfortunately, such discounts will not be happening again soon for Olight.

The main selling point of OTR M3 is the price. Current S10 baton easily cost about $42 a piece, while our M3 group price is more affordable for majority at under $20. You will not need to worry about greenish cool white tint or waste time, energy and additional money to replace those undesirable emitters if you choose our rosy 5C.

Smaller does not equate to better. I personally prefer S10 or S15, where I can have a firmer grip of the flashlight with my medium size palm. 

daninho wrote:
I think it has less interest because everybody already owns olight Sxx lights already because gearbest sold them like hot cakes for cheap a while ago including the S15R,S1,S30 etc.. The S1 is just smaller.
flatbear
flatbear's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/25/2015 - 03:05
Posts: 14
Location: SF

olight s1 prices are still pretty good, I think banggood has the olight s1 for $26.97 with the coupon code (look for it on slickdeals by searching olight s1)

daninho
daninho's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 10/08/2014 - 10:29
Posts: 370
Location: Germany

freeme wrote:

Their Olight sale prices at that time was a steal and I am glad that I have purchased all mentioned models. Unfortunately, such discounts will not be happening again soon for Olight.


The main selling point of OTR M3 is the price. Current S10 baton easily cost about $42 a piece, while our M3 group price is more affordable for majority at under $20. You will not need to worry about greenish cool white tint or waste time, energy and additional money to replace those undesirable emitters if you choose our rosy 5C.


Smaller does not equate to better. I personally prefer S10 or S15, where I can have a firmer grip of the flashlight with my medium size palm. 


daninho wrote:
I think it has less interest because everybody already owns olight Sxx lights already because gearbest sold them like hot cakes for cheap a while ago including the S15R,S1,S30 etc.. The S1 is just smaller.

True, the prices were insane for olight but lets be honest, the so called premium manufactors are often not really better than budget manufactors, its more or less all the same. Remember the acebeam/thrunite saga or sunwayman/darktort. Darktort P20C is half the price compared to a sunwayman labeled version. You can even read sunwayman on the darktort driver.

This olight design seems to be pretty popular, thrunite copied it as well and there is now another brand, angryfox.

By the way look at the new sunwayman t16r, love the quality looks. We need a groupbuy ^^

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 12117
Location: LI NY

Nice review! Can it be opened? How moddable is it? Anyone try or mod one yet?

freeme
freeme's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 11/14/2013 - 22:00
Posts: 7042

Bezel is not glued. M3 comes with nice flat red o-ring and a threaded reflector. Genuine CREE XM-L2 LED verified under the scope. cool 


Tom E wrote:

Nice review! Can it be opened? How moddable is it? Anyone try or mod one yet?

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 12117
Location: LI NY

Ok, thanks, but that's only half the battle. What about driver access? Hhmm, only noticed now the pic in the OP showing the driver. Maybe it's glued in place, or maybe separate piece that's a pill? Lot of times they are press fit in place and can be forced/nudged out from pressure on top maybe...

From the LED view above, almost looks like a separate pill?

freeme
freeme's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 11/14/2013 - 22:00
Posts: 7042

http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/949213#comment-949213

Tom E wrote:

Ok, thanks, but that's only half the battle. What about driver access? Hhmm, only noticed now the pic in the OP showing the driver. Maybe it's glued in place, or maybe separate piece that's a pill? Lot of times they are press fit in place and can be forced/nudged out from pressure on top maybe...

From the LED view above, almost looks like a separate pill?

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 12117
Location: LI NY

I ordered one anyways. The Group Buy 5C one doesn't ship til after June 30th, so I ordered the 5C "Full Pack" at $25, but discounted down on points to ~$19, say'n it will ship tomorrow. Hoping we can figure out driver access without damage wink. With the Olight's, some guys have little to no trouble dis-assemblying, while others just can't budge no matter you try.

That post you linked to, says you will only dismantle after pics and measurements, so..., are you done? smile

They may say integrated pill design, but they also say 900 lumens ...

freeme
freeme's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 11/14/2013 - 22:00
Posts: 7042

Haha... I am working on my next review at the very moment. I have zero experience in mod with side-switch, so I let the experts like you to carry out. sealed

Tom E wrote:

...says you will only dismantle after pics and measurements, so..., are you done? smile

 

900lm did not happen as expected. Fasttech has already specified the reading at 2.3A even before M3 was listed in GB. 2.3A at tail with Olight 16340 is the best I can get. As for the integrated pill design... I think they are referring to solid pill.

Tom E wrote:

They may say integrated pill design, but they also say 900 lumens ...

daninho
daninho's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 10/08/2014 - 10:29
Posts: 370
Location: Germany

There is only one dollar price difference between the set with the charger etc.. and the standalone version. I feel the price is a bit expansive because the olight S1 is available for more or less the same price with coupon code. I like the voltage warning, something the S1 dont have but this light is more a S10 rival i would say, S1 is shorter. I wonder if the original olight is CNC machined or die cast as well like this light.

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 12117
Location: LI NY

daninho wrote:
There is only one dollar price difference between the set with the charger etc.. and the standalone version. I feel the price is a bit expansive because the olight S1 is available for more or less the same price with coupon code. I like the voltage warning, something the S1 dont have but this light is more a S10 rival i would say, S1 is shorter. I wonder if the original olight is CNC machined or die cast as well like this light.

Well, that's true of the listed prices, but not for the group buy price freeme has listed for the M3 (http://budgetlightforum.com/node/46875).

The S1 is only very cool white, this is available in a nice 5C, more features, yes bigger though. Also much easier access to the LED on the M3 - I still can't get the bezel off my S1's - ugh, can't stand the blue cool tint.

flashmaster
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/10/2016 - 10:59
Posts: 11
daninho
daninho's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 10/08/2014 - 10:29
Posts: 370
Location: Germany

Is it true that newer lights have a true moonlight mode? In that review the guy got one with a true moonlight, maybe a defect.

flashmaster
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/10/2016 - 10:59
Posts: 11

I tried two M3 chargers, two different 16340s, one 220V input, the other USB input.
The M3 chargers charge up to exactly 4.27V on both tries.
Seems to be a little over the borderline.

freeme
freeme's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 11/14/2013 - 22:00
Posts: 7042

Edit: Indeed, OTR UC3 charger did overcharge my OTR 16340 battery to 4.28V. Full gift set buyers please beware of this issue.
I am charging my OTR battery via USB. 4.21V is measured in the bay. Will let you know my completed voltage in a while.

flashmaster wrote:
I tried two M3 chargers, two different 16340s, one 220V Input, the other USB Input. The M3 charger charges up to exactly 4.27V on both tries. Seems to be a little over the borderline.
Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 12117
Location: LI NY

Got mine today, full gift set - really, really nice so far - love the tint. I was soooo disappointed with the S1, and I bought two, one is still unopened in the box. The blue tint of the S1 is ridiculous, plus locked in un-replaceable LED.

Of course I'm not crazy about the UI with the pres&hold. Seems almost broken that a single click from OFF does nothing. Much rather have the ramping UI of Narsil, or the mode sets, plus the power. Now the fun begins - seeing if it I can get full access to the driver and get a ATtiny85 based driver in there.

The tint looks absolutely perfect to me - no shading around the hot spot, just a nice milky white, slight hint of yellow. I dunno where you can buy a U2 5C - makes you wonder how legit it is. I only see "5X" tints in a T5 bin at best (MtnE has a listed T6 5C1, but limited). I'll drop in a fully charge 16340 IMR and measure it up - see what the real turbo level is.

Also it seems to throw decently for it's size, much better than the S1.

I think I'll xfer the LED to a Noctigon at first - well worth keeping it. The stock MCPCB appears to be regular aluminum.

daninho
daninho's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 10/08/2014 - 10:29
Posts: 370
Location: Germany

Tom E wrote:

Got mine today, full gift set – really, really nice so far – love the tint. I was soooo disappointed with the S1, and I bought two, one is still unopened in the box. The blue tint of the S1 is ridiculous, plus locked in un-replaceable LED.


Of course I’m not crazy about the UI with the pres&hold. Seems almost broken that a single click from OFF does nothing. Much rather have the ramping UI of Narsil, or the mode sets, plus the power. Now the fun begins – seeing if it I can get full access to the driver and get a ATtiny85 based driver in there.


The tint looks absolutely perfect to me – no shading around the hot spot, just a nice milky white, slight hint of yellow. I dunno where you can buy a U2 5C – makes you wonder how legit it is. I only see “5X” tints in a T5 bin at best (MtnE has a listed T6 5C1, but limited). I’ll drop in a fully charge 16340 IMR and measure it up – see what the real turbo level is.


Also it seems to throw decently for it’s size, much better than the S1.


I think I’ll xfer the LED to a Noctigon at first – well worth keeping it. The stock MCPCB appears to be regular aluminum.


You cant compare it to the s1, its more a s10 clone.

Pages