Sofirn C01S SST-20 4.000K 95CRI / Low-High version available again!

661 posts / 0 new
Last post
zaxar0580
zaxar0580's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 11 min ago
Joined: 02/17/2019 - 15:59
Posts: 54

5mm x 2mm disc will be too low. Need 5mm x 3mm Disc

Muto
Offline
Last seen: 49 min 8 sec ago
Joined: 09/04/2012 - 16:42
Posts: 2257
Location: Southeast, PA

Don’t know myself, but other BangGood link was for 5×3

“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it sometimes rhymes,” Mark Twain

After the Apocalypse there will be only 2 things left alive, Cockroaches and Keith Richards
..

Big Sky Country

Lux-Perpetua
Lux-Perpetua's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 5 hours ago
Joined: 03/01/2018 - 04:39
Posts: 1905
Location: Germany, 德国, ドイツ, Германия, जर्मनी

OP is updated concerning the new mode order for black, red, blue and gray versions.

“Everyone, deep in their hearts, is waiting for the end of the world to come.” (Haruki Murakami, 1Q84)

dk21291
dk21291's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 06/19/2019 - 09:08
Posts: 44
blind-eye wrote:
Mine is almost here. The tracking updated a few days ago after going dark since Dec 4th.

Same! only mine was delivered on Friday while I was away, and subsequently went missing (stolen I assume). What a rollercoaster, and I still have no lights. Worried that with it marked as delivered aliexpress will be less likely to refund.

contactcr
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 05/19/2017 - 18:52
Posts: 2926
Location: US

Where I am USPS will mark things as delivered and not actually deliver it for another day or two sometimes. I guess it makes the driver look better on paper when they cant finish their route.

defloyd77
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 11 hours ago
Joined: 07/31/2018 - 22:42
Posts: 131
Location: Wisconsin
contactcr wrote:
Where I am USPS will mark things as delivered and not actually deliver it for another day or two sometimes. I guess it makes the driver look better on paper when they cant finish their route.

That happened to me once.

The tracking on my light since it had come to the States has been pretty whacky, managing to get to Wisconsin 4 hours BEFORE it left New York lol.

Muto
Offline
Last seen: 49 min 8 sec ago
Joined: 09/04/2012 - 16:42
Posts: 2257
Location: Southeast, PA

Got my magnets yesterday from guy on Ebay
25 for $7.50 shipped form NY, guy ships fast and they fit perfect and are strong.
I know they are not as cheap as banggood, but really, I will never use 100 of these so 25 is fine.

link again if someone is interested;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Strong-N52-Round-Disc-Ring-Block-Balls-Ra...

Later,
Keith

“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it sometimes rhymes,” Mark Twain

After the Apocalypse there will be only 2 things left alive, Cockroaches and Keith Richards
..

Big Sky Country

defloyd77
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 11 hours ago
Joined: 07/31/2018 - 22:42
Posts: 131
Location: Wisconsin

Received my light finally on Tuesday. They definitely went a bit overboard with gluing the head together as there was some on the knurling on the head and the threads,  but not too, too bad.

The tint on mine is very nice, no greenishness to my eyes. I really love the pairing of this LED and optic, it throws surprisingly well for a light is size. The only improvement I can think of (other than better QC) would be a medium mode,  but I’m glad they went with a useable low.

Unheard
Online
Last seen: 8 min 10 sec ago
Joined: 01/16/2019 - 11:38
Posts: 395
Location: Germany

defloyd77 wrote:
They definitely went a bit overboard with gluing the head together as there was some on the knurling on the head and the threads,  but not too, too bad.

Hope there’s still a way to take the head apart.
djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 32 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 16699
Location: Amsterdam

Unheard wrote:
defloyd77 wrote:
They definitely went a bit overboard with gluing the head together as there was some on the knurling on the head and the threads,  but not too, too bad.

Hope there’s still a way to take the head apart.

I hope so too, but I’m glad (for once) that they went with glue because I had my non-glued head fall into parts more than once while trying to switch the light off. Much better would have been a hard stop for the bezel build into the design (a small ridge in the middle of the head instead of continuous threading), but some glue is an ok fix of the problem.
polarweis
polarweis's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 05/31/2017 - 17:05
Posts: 451

Where can i buy tritium vails for this light? and what size do I need?

"It wouldn’t be so bright if there wasn’t a shadow every once in a while." - Jason Mraz

shirnask
shirnask's picture
Offline
Last seen: 27 min 48 sec ago
Joined: 03/21/2016 - 23:58
Posts: 1181
Location: Louisiana
polarweis wrote:
Where can i buy tritium vails for this light? and what size do I need?

1.5×6mm vials. I buy mine from mixglo.com – you can also get a small bottle of Norland 61 there.

polarweis
polarweis's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 05/31/2017 - 17:05
Posts: 451

Thanks for sharing shirnask. My light was only 2 euros so I might skip this mod to keep everything budget on this light Big Smile

"It wouldn’t be so bright if there wasn’t a shadow every once in a while." - Jason Mraz

gchart
gchart's picture
Offline
Last seen: 30 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 03/19/2016 - 11:57
Posts: 2105
Location: Central IL

shirnask wrote:
1.5×6mm vials. I buy mine from mixglo.com – you can also get a small bottle of Norland 61 there.


I’m curious about your picture. Is your exposure cranked up? Or are they anywhere near that visible at night?

I bought a couple vials (from a random AliExpress vendor) last year and installed one in my raw BLF Edition C01S. But it’s soooo dim. I can hardly see it in a pitch black room.

I’m about to get a ReyLight LAN and am thinking about tricking it out with a bunch of trits. But if they’ll hardly be visible in a dark room, I’m not so sure I want to drop the $70 to do so.

polarweis
polarweis's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 05/31/2017 - 17:05
Posts: 451

gchart wrote:
shirnask wrote:
1.5×6mm vials. I buy mine from mixglo.com – you can also get a small bottle of Norland 61 there.


I’m curious about your picture. Is your exposure cranked up? Or are they anywhere near that visible at night?

I bought a couple vials (from a random AliExpress vendor) last year and installed one in my raw BLF Edition C01S. But it’s soooo dim. I can hardly see it in a pitch black room.

I’m about to get a ReyLight LAN and am thinking about tricking it out with a bunch of trits. But if they’ll hardly be visible in a dark room, I’m not so sure I want to drop the $70 to do so.

I think the glue you use to fix them in place is pretty important.

"It wouldn’t be so bright if there wasn’t a shadow every once in a while." - Jason Mraz

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 2735
Location: The Land of Enchantment

yes, shirnask has some great trit pics, I wonder how he does it too:

shirnask wrote:



gchart wrote:
it’s soooo dim. I can hardly see it in a pitch black room.

what color did you choose?

green is the brightest

in this photo I took during the day, I was shining a UV light on the tiny 2mm long green trit, to make it show up

I can easily see tritiums on the nightstand when I wake up in the dark
my iPhone can see them too:

but I cannot see their glow during the day, unless I go into a pitch black room and hold them up to my face

gchart
gchart's picture
Offline
Last seen: 30 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 03/19/2016 - 11:57
Posts: 2105
Location: Central IL

I used a crystal clear UV cure glue, albeit not Norland.

Here’s what my camera sees (left) vs an adjusted pic of how it looks to me (right):

contactcr
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 05/19/2017 - 18:52
Posts: 2926
Location: US

gchart. that’s about right unless your eyes are heavily adjusted like jon_slider mentions waking up at night. If the trit is a little more exposed it may be incrementally brighter too, some slots are pretty deep. the one’s i’ve poked into the rubber nub of clear clicky switch boots are just as visible as this green one when on a dark night stand.

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 2735
Location: The Land of Enchantment
gchart wrote:
Here’s what my camera sees (left) vs an adjusted pic of how it looks to me (right):

seems normal

trits brightness is somewhat additive
that is, more trits are more visible than just one
but still very dim, still not visible during daylight, but very visible when I wake up in the dark

-M4D M4X wrote:


imo Trits make excellent locators for a light on the nightstand, and they are entertaining to look at when visiting the porcelain throne in the middle of the night

trits cost does add up
it is not hard to spend as much or more on multi trit installs, than the original cost of the host

MoreLumens
MoreLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 10/25/2019 - 07:08
Posts: 372
Location: Finland

When Sofirn gets that red led C01S ready I really need trit for that. Never had those because they are pricey, but after getting one, well it never stops there.

gchart
gchart's picture
Offline
Last seen: 30 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 03/19/2016 - 11:57
Posts: 2105
Location: Central IL

jon_slider,

Those two pics are exactly the ones I’ve been looking at. I realize the effect may be exaggerated in those pics, but the LANs look stunning in them. But I’m scared of spending the ~$70 and never being able to see that they’re there.

I understand that they will never be visible in a well lit room and I’m good with that. But I’d want to be able to see them at night time.

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 2735
Location: The Land of Enchantment
gchart wrote:
I’d want to be able to see them at night time.

for me, trits produce a visible glow, but when I wake in the dark, without my bifocals on, they produce a fuzzy glow.

I can NOT make out the clear outlines of each trit that we see in the photos.. it is more like your second photo.. dim and fuzzy, but visible.. depending how good your eyes are I guess.

for me, this 6 trit button was a waste,

I could not see well enough to tell the colors apart, and I did not like that the layers overlapped and broke up the full view of each trit

Im much happier with the 3 trit button on the right:

I dont own a TiLan, so it will be up to you to share your tritted Lan experience with us Smile
(its only money, you deserve it.. lol)

iamlucky13
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 51 min ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 09:18
Posts: 704
Location: USA
contactcr wrote:
gchart. that’s about right unless your eyes are heavily adjusted like jon_slider mentions waking up at night. If the trit is a little more exposed it may be incrementally brighter too, some slots are pretty deep. the one’s i’ve poked into the rubber nub of clear clicky switch boots are just as visible as this green one when on a dark night stand.

Here’s a small trick to get a very slight amount more visibility from the tritium vial by removing the anodization in the slot (or get the bare aluminum version of the C01s):
http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1393692#comment-1393692

gchart
gchart's picture
Offline
Last seen: 30 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 03/19/2016 - 11:57
Posts: 2105
Location: Central IL

Thanks! But yeah… I already have the bare aluminum version

shirnask
shirnask's picture
Offline
Last seen: 27 min 48 sec ago
Joined: 03/21/2016 - 23:58
Posts: 1181
Location: Louisiana

gchart wrote:
jon_slider,

Those two pics are exactly the ones I’ve been looking at. I realize the effect may be exaggerated in those pics, but the LANs look stunning in them. But I’m scared of spending the ~$70 and never being able to see that they’re there.

I understand that they will never be visible in a well lit room and I’m good with that. But I’d want to be able to see them at night time.

I took this picture in a dark room – just automatic settings on the camera – the only thing I did to the picture is change the contrast setting.

This is the one beside my bed at night – my favorite, but almost too bright for my dark adapted eyes ( bad picture taken in a dark room )

On the CO1S the trit slot is very deep and in order to get the best visibility for the single trit I put a small sliver of clear plastic about 1mm thick under the trit to raise it close to the top of the slot. This gave a much better result than my early attempts.

gchart
gchart's picture
Offline
Last seen: 30 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 03/19/2016 - 11:57
Posts: 2105
Location: Central IL

Thanks for the pictures and impressions guys. I think I’m just going to go for it. You only live once, right? Can’t take it with you…

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 2735
Location: The Land of Enchantment
shirnask wrote:

turned up the contrast
I like your trit solution for the Original RRT-01 a lot
are those 6mm trits?

and if you did it again, would you do anything different?

.

gchart wrote:
I think I’m just going to go for it. You only live once, right?
wonder what colors you will choose?

I look forward to your days of joy

shirnask
shirnask's picture
Offline
Last seen: 27 min 48 sec ago
Joined: 03/21/2016 - 23:58
Posts: 1181
Location: Louisiana

jon_slider][quote=shirnask wrote:

turned up the contrast
I like your trit solution for the Original RRT-01 a lot
are those 6mm trits?

and if you did it again, would you do anything different?

————————————————————————————————-

Yes, they are 1.5×6mm. For my purpose I really only need 3 trits to make it bright enough for me in the middle of the night.

This light makes it easy to add from one to five trits around the tail cap as it slopes down from the center to the inner edge enough to completely encapsulate the 1.5×6mm trits in Norland 61 – making them difficult to damage.

(I do sleep in a very dark room and what I find bright might not be so for others.)

Jaspov
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 08/25/2018 - 06:24
Posts: 6
Location: the Netherlands

These just went on sale on aliexpress, various colors available.

Venice
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 42 min ago
Joined: 07/02/2017 - 15:19
Posts: 166
Location: South Gulf Coast Florida

Nice. Can’t get the US pricing though. Gave up after trying for a while.

Pages