Coronavirus discussion thread

6113 posts / 0 new
Last post
NorthernHarrier
NorthernHarrier's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 11/30/2018 - 12:05
Posts: 338
Location: Eastern USA

Yet another person trying to instigate an argument by misrepresenting information, then accusing others of doing the same by correcting the misrepresentations. Bravo.

It’s already been explained that the figures given were estimates, based on various assumptions, from early numbers tabulated in one investigation in Europe. The authors state clearly that those numbers do not represent the expected effects of the virus, in Europe or elsewhere.

71k5
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 3 min ago
Joined: 08/23/2019 - 19:13
Posts: 145

NorthernHarrier wrote:
Yet another person trying to instigate an argument by misrepresenting information, then accusing others of doing the same by correcting the misrepresentations. Bravo.

It’s already been explained that the figures given were estimates, based on various assumptions, from early numbers tabulated in one investigation in Europe. The authors state clearly that those numbers do not represent the expected effects of the virus, in Europe or elsewhere.

So the data I provided, is a misrepresentation?

Quote:
The CDC updated the survival rates of those INFECTED with COVID19:

0-19 – 99.997%
20-49 – 99.98%
50-69 – 99.5%
70+ – 94.6%

CDC survival rates for COVID19 infections.

Look at Scenario 5, Table 1.

Where the data states Infection Fatality ratio :

Quote:

0-19 years: 0.00003
20-49 years: 0.0002
50-69 years: 0.005
70+ years: 0.054

How is that a misrepresentation, when it is data DIRECTLY from the report?

Keep trying to blame me, for yours and others’, efforts to instigate an argument.

When are we going to get some Moderation here?

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 29 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 12486
Location: nyc

We could always get back to the NFL protesting thread… Evil

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

71k5
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 3 min ago
Joined: 08/23/2019 - 19:13
Posts: 145
Lightbringer wrote:
We could always get back to the NFL protesting thread… Evil

No thanks, I’ll take a knee for that.

NorthernHarrier
NorthernHarrier's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 11/30/2018 - 12:05
Posts: 338
Location: Eastern USA

“How is that a misrepresentation, when it is data DIRECTLY from the report?“

The answer to your question has been given to you by two different members. I’ll try one more time. You said the figures you cited are the survival rates from the virus. That is in fact not true. We explained why it is not true in our posts.

caramba
caramba's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 11/09/2016 - 14:43
Posts: 565
Quote:
six regions in Europe: Austria, Bavaria (Germany), Baden-Württemberg (Germany), Lombardy (Italy), Spain, and Switzerland.

This gotta be referring to Octoberfest.

how crazy is this
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 09/14/2011 - 13:24
Posts: 234
Location: Minneapolis

Is 71k5 trying to make a point with those figures? Perhaps the point is just information? Is the point supposed to be that it is not very deadly for the young? I think that is the point but I don’t know.

Just looking at the numbers. From what I have read eventually about 80% will likely become infected unless there is an effective and widely adapted vaccine. So only .02% or .8 * 0.0002 * 20 – 49 year olds will die. It looks like the point is that because only 20,000 or so Americans between 20 – 49 will die so that is not really such a big deal?

71k5
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 3 min ago
Joined: 08/23/2019 - 19:13
Posts: 145

NorthernHarrier wrote:
“How is that a misrepresentation, when it is data DIRECTLY from the report?“

The answer to your question has been given to you by two different members. I’ll try one more time. You said the figures you cited are the survival rates from the virus. That is in fact not true. We explained why it is not true in our posts.

Have you contacted the CDC, to correct them on their report?

I just provided the link to their report/data, that you and others, seem to want to dispute.

NorthernHarrier
NorthernHarrier's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 11/30/2018 - 12:05
Posts: 338
Location: Eastern USA

71k5 wrote:
NorthernHarrier wrote:
“How is that a misrepresentation, when it is data DIRECTLY from the report?“

The answer to your question has been given to you by two different members. I’ll try one more time. You said the figures you cited are the survival rates from the virus. That is in fact not true. We explained why it is not true in our posts.

Have you contacted the CDC, to correct them on their report?

I just provided the link to their report/data, that you and others, seem to want to dispute.

The report is not incorrect. There is no reason to dispute their report. Your description of what the report says about the data is incorrect.

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 14675
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

NorthernHarrier wrote:

Who recommended banning disinformation about the coronavirus?

That would be me.

I don't like obvious lies, but they are allowed on BLF, and I was in the wrong.  :THUMBS-UP:

71k5
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 3 min ago
Joined: 08/23/2019 - 19:13
Posts: 145

how crazy is this wrote:
Is 71k5 trying to make a point with those figures? Perhaps the point is just information? Is the point supposed to be that it is not very deadly for the young? I think that is the point but I don’t know.

Just looking at the numbers. From what I have read eventually about 80% will likely become infected unless there is an effective and widely adapted vaccine. So only .02% or .8 * 0.0002 * 20 – 49 year olds will die. It looks like the point is that because only 20,000 or so Americans between 20 -29 will die so that is not really such a big deal?

Where did I say I was trying to “make a point”, when I posted this?

The CDC updated the survival rates of those INFECTED with COVID19:

0-19 – 99.997%
20-49 – 99.98%
50-69 – 99.5%
70+ – 94.6%

"CDC survival rates for COVID19 infections.":https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/planning-scenarios.html

That was posted by kennybobby: [quote

wrote:
So what is your point—only the elders die, we should just let them die, they are old anyway?

I just provided the link to the report data, and pointed out the Fatality data, and stated the resulting Survivor rates from their own Infected Fatality ratio data.
Because if you’re not a fatality, you obviously must be a survivor.

You draw your own conclusions, and dispute the CDC data, that’s your prerogative.

71k5
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 3 min ago
Joined: 08/23/2019 - 19:13
Posts: 145
raccoon city wrote:

NorthernHarrier wrote:

Who recommended banning disinformation about the coronavirus?


That would be me.


I don’t like obvious lies, but they are allowed on BLF, and I was in the wrong.  alt=:" />

Either you dispute the CDC report or you don’t.

If the Infected Fatality Ratio is 1: .054, that would mean 5.4 out of 100 infected 70+ would die, from being infected with the virus. So that would also mean that the other 94.6 70+ who were also infected, did not die.
Hence a 94.6% survivor rate for 70+ infected with the virus.

How is that “disinformation” , or “obvious lies”?

MtnDon
MtnDon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 43 min 27 sec ago
Joined: 08/27/2015 - 18:25
Posts: 3343
Location: Canuk in NM
71k5 wrote:
Because if you’re not a fatality, you obviously must be a survivor.

Not necessarily. Maybe just hiding in the woods and haven’t contracted the virus yet. You’re only a survivor if you didn’t die after getting it.

Rexlion
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 05/18/2019 - 16:59
Posts: 788
Location: Okla.

4th down, time to punt. Wink

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 14675
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

71k5 wrote:

Either you dispute the CDC report or you don’t.

If the Infected Fatality Ratio is 1: .054, that would mean 5.4 out of 100 infected 70+ would die, from being infected with the virus. So that would also mean that the other 94.6 70+ who were also infected, did not die.
Hence a 94.6% survivor rate for 70+ infected with the virus.

How is that “disinformation” , or “obvious lies”?

I was responding to NorthernHarrier, not you.

I don't know who was actually talking to you, but it was not me.

71k5
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 3 min ago
Joined: 08/23/2019 - 19:13
Posts: 145
raccoon city wrote:

71k5 wrote:

Either you dispute the CDC report or you don’t.


If the Infected Fatality Ratio is 1: .054, that would mean 5.4 out of 100 infected 70+ would die, from being infected with the virus. So that would also mean that the other 94.6 70+ who were also infected, did not die.
Hence a 94.6% survivor rate for 70+ infected with the virus.


How is that “disinformation” , or “obvious lies”?



I was responding to NorthernHarrier, not you.


I don’t know who was actually talking to you, but it was not me.

I apologize.
It was wrong of me to infer that your conversation was about my post.
I’m sorry.

xevious
xevious's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 35 min ago
Joined: 02/27/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 1868
Location: Hoboken, NJ USA

How long does the National Anthem last? What is the time ratio of that to the game? 2 minutes to 180 minutes… Insignificant. If you don’t like it, change the channel as you would for a commercial & feelings hurt no more.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 29 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 12486
Location: nyc

I like the extended-play version that goes on for ~18min with the drum solo in the middle.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

cabfrank
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 11/19/2010 - 17:25
Posts: 3097
Location: healdsburg, california usa earth

About those protests again…

We should go to sleep I think.

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 9360
Location: Berkeley, California

Quote:

The good news: COVID-19 hasn’t proven to be as deadly as first feared, when some early projections suggested as many as one in four infected people would die.

The bad: Even though the virus is killing a small percentage of infected people, it still adds up to a large number of deaths. As of Aug. 31, the virus had infected more than 25 million worldwide and killed 847,000. In the U.S., there are more than 6 million confirmed cases and more than 183,000 deaths.

“It looks like now that the fatality rate of a person who gets infected with this, on average, is around six times that of the seasonal flu — so around the 0.6 [percent] range,” say Amesh A. Adalja, MD.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200901/what-changing-death-rates-tell-...

Found using this search
https://www.google.com/search?q=coronavirus+Infected+Fatality+Ratio&tbs=...

sochi111
sochi111's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 02/21/2017 - 14:59
Posts: 314

I have no idea about this but would the fatality rate be any relevant to flu?

I think the chances of someone dying from flu would be lower just because the patient will have a family member present in the room. If you suffer from an unknown virus, no one is allowed anywhere near you and staff is not trained or too scared to take care of you. You might be on your own. Innocent
NorthernHarrier
NorthernHarrier's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 11/30/2018 - 12:05
Posts: 338
Location: Eastern USA

Easy to understand reporting and description of the Covid-19 case fatality rate can be found here, by country (you can select which country’s data you want to see by using the drop-down menu): Link

The latest case fatality rate overall shown for the USA, updated to today, is reported to be just under 3%. The case fatality rate is the death risk figure most reported in the news media, and is calculated by dividing the total number of reported deaths due to the virus by the total number of reported cases of Covid-19 infection.

Of course, that is a different figure than the true infection fatality rate, which could give us a higher or lower death risk figure, for the following reasons. There are likely more people infected than are reported to be infected. Including all the infected people in the calculation would lower the true death risk. However, there are also many people infected who will die due to the virus, but have not died yet. Including these people in the death count would increase the true death risk.

pennzy
pennzy's picture
Online
Last seen: 2 min 20 sec ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 19:45
Posts: 2394
Location: United States , Pa.

cabfrank wrote:
About those protests again…

We should go to sleep I think.


Nothing good happens after 2 am.
John75
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 08/11/2020 - 08:05
Posts: 44

WHAT ? Some people here still believe in official figures ?

LOL

Unheard
Unheard's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 01/16/2019 - 11:38
Posts: 1269
Location: Germany

pennzy wrote:
cabfrank wrote:
About those protests again…

We should go to sleep I think.


Nothing good happens after 2 am.

After 2am is before 2am.

Smile, you cannot kill them all.

pennzy
pennzy's picture
Online
Last seen: 2 min 20 sec ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 19:45
Posts: 2394
Location: United States , Pa.

Unheard wrote:
pennzy wrote:
cabfrank wrote:
About those protests again…

We should go to sleep I think.


Nothing good happens after 2 am.

After 2am is before 2am.

Only if you don’t stop drinking.
NorthernHarrier
NorthernHarrier's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 11/30/2018 - 12:05
Posts: 338
Location: Eastern USA

John75 wrote:
WHAT ? Some people here still believe in official figures ?

LOL

What matters is not whether you acknowledge official figures. If official figures exist, there is no disputing that they exist. What matters is whether you know how those figures were derived, whether and how they were statistically analyzed, and how the data and statistical analyses were interpreted by whomever publicizes the information. And it matters that you know how the official figures and interpretation fit into the larger body of evidence gathered and analyzed by people competent in the relevant fields of study. The same is true for any data, whether it is official or unofficial.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 29 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 12486
Location: nyc

My head officially hurts…

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

shirnask
shirnask's picture
Online
Last seen: 2 min 16 sec ago
Joined: 03/21/2016 - 23:58
Posts: 1313
Location: Louisiana

Muto
Online
Last seen: 2 min 21 sec ago
Joined: 09/04/2012 - 16:42
Posts: 2459
Location: Southeast, PA

Lies, damned lies, and statistics

“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it sometimes rhymes,” Mark Twain

After the Apocalypse there will be only 2 things left alive, Cockroaches and Keith Richards

“You’ll develop like a herd mentality,”
“It’s gonna be herd-developed and that’s gonna happen.”

Yep it already happened

Pages