*BLF LT1 Lantern Project) (updated Nov,17,2020)

Me Three! :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, a 18350 battery tube would definitly look … interesting.

But a 21700 battery tube would actally be usefull. It would give you a significantly larger capacity and therefore runtime (about 40% more with 5000mAh batteries) while being not much bigger and heavier that the 18650 variant (which already has great runtimes).

…but would require a re-design of the light. A 18350 battery tube would not. :wink:

If four 21700 cells would fit in the current lantern head base (near the driver) would be great for a larger capacity addition, ( but its not possible to fit four of them in a body tube that will fit inside the current threaded lantern section, ( as its the same as the Q8 head thread size) the only option there would be a battery tube with an extension adapter, which would make the lantern quite a bit taller, ( probably add roughly 35 to 40 mm to the height as the batteries would have to be an outside section.

That has been considered in detail. In the lantern, here’s how it works out:

• 4x18650: ~14000 mAh capacity
  • 3x21700: ~15000 mAh capacity, slightly longer tube, less common cell type

It’s not a clear win. Giving it significantly larger capacity would mean making the light itself significantly larger… and does anyone even sell button-top 21700 cells?

With a 18350 tube, the LT1 would roughly look like this :

Exactly, and why we stuck with the 18650 format size the same as the Q8.

Can we please modify the light to accept a 26650 at a 45 degree angle? With the dead space please include a matches, flint rocks, paracord, and some tiny scissors.

Put me down for 1x lantern, if it isn’t too late. This looks great so far!

@contactcr
Pretty sure that a 26650 will fit a 18350 tube with dead space left if you hammer it inside, and you could also use the inner space of the globe as a water tank. :stuck_out_tongue:

No tactical camping, but I think candle mode in a tent would make a great substitute for a campfire on a rainy night.

You read my mind to be honest.

Just shake to determine your desired diffusion level:

:smiley:

Okay, now I want an 18350 tube even more. Also, the tube extensions that Sofirn was working on several months ago, in case I want to put 8x 18650 in for better run time.

Ok, i managed to get a bit of a clear day today with sunlight to test the off-grid ability of the LT1 Lantern test unit. With the Eceen 10-Watt panel i have been using for most of my camping and wilderness adventures, the LT1lantern with the TP5100 charging chip, using four 3000mAh 30Q cells, starting off in the morning with all cells at 3.52 volts, they were fully charged long before the sun set.
Here in the photo & video below i show the amps charging at around 7 PM here, with the sun close to setting (meaning the sun light was much less than it was at noon) and i still got 1.19+ amps charge rate on another sent of low cells with the 10-watt Eceen, and with the 17 watt generic the voltage & amps were lower.

(at 6 PM evening, the lantern was still able to pull 1.24 amps at 4.44 volts DC form the 10-Watt:

Below the video done at around 6:45 PM, showing a 1.19 amp charge rate form the 10-watt:

Personally, I plan to NEVER use any blinky modes. Same as the rest of my lights. If they are in there, I hope they are hidden.

jigsaw, the blinky modes are VERY well hidden in Andúril. Don’t worry. :wink:

The photoshop of the approximate 18350 tube appearance actually has proportions that look just right to my eyes. And for those who might sometimes want to pack smaller and lighter, the perhaps 150 grams of weight savings wouldn’t hurt.

The superior solution is just to use a 45650 cell. The 22,000 mAh capacity is a clear win.

Have a source or link to this 45650 22Ah cell? (i could not find anything of that size in a search.

So this is using Anduril? awesome, candle mode will be super sweet for relaxing when there’s a fire ban.