LED test / review - Nichia NVSW519A sm503 R9080 / 519A-V1 - test finally here! Good tint and beam quality!

LED Test / review EN

Nichia NVSW519A sm503 R9080 / 519A-V1

2024-03-14

The Nichia 519A has quickly become one of the most popular LEDs since its initial release in August 2020. Its high CRI paired with a consistently good light color and optical properties make it a good choice for all those who value good light quality.

The 519A has already been used in many flashlights and its optical properties in particular are well known. This test is primarily intended to summarize findings and measured values for this emitter and make them easily accessible. In addition to the 5000 K variant tested here, other 519A variants are also shown without being specifically named, including the 70 CRI variant and the 519BT-V1, which differs only in a few details and has not yet become very widespread.

The 519A tested here comes from a Convoy T3. This was specified with 5000 K and was ordered around the beginning of 2023. Other 519A variants shown here were provided to me by BLF user @thefreeman. Many thanks for this at this point!

Technical data

Tj 25 °C, If 1,400 mA
  • Type: single die, flip chip
  • Bin: unknown
  • Color group: sm503 (5000 K)
  • CRI: typ 90, R9 min 80
  • Rated voltage: typ 3.03 V
  • Max. Forward current: 2,200 mA
  • Max. Peak current: 2,400 mA
  • Viewing angle: unknown °
  • Thermal resistance: typ 2, max 3.0 K/W
  • Max. Temperature Tj: max. 150°C

Datasheet can be downloaded here: Nichia (PDF, 0.8 MB)

Design, LES, Performance and Luminance

The 519A is a simple emitter. The yellow-orange light emitting surface (LES) is surrounded by white silicone with a transparent dome on top. A square marking and some type of code are located in one corner. The 519A-V1 has additional lettering, which is also the only real distinguishing feature.

Handling is easy, the silicone is relatively robust and not very sensitive, although care should always be taken when handling LEDs anyway.

A direct comparison shows that the LES of the 219 family are getting larger and larger, which increases efficiency and maximum achievable luminous flux and potentially reduces the forward voltage. The 319AT with its obscure hexagonal light surface stands out here in particular.

The footprint reveals no surprises. The contact surfaces are gold-plated. The only difference to many other LEDs is the slightly smaller contact surfaces for the anode and cathode. The thermal pad is not reduced in size.

The LES is designed like that of many other flip-chip emitters. A fine granulation runs through the luminous surface. The mixture of these very small blue and yellow dots produces the specified light color. In general, most of flip-chip style LEDs seems to have those granulated surfaces instead of plain and evenly lit ones.

Dedoming is extremely easy to do with the 519A: the dome on the LED can be removed by gently lifting it off with a fingernail. The best results are achieved as long as the LED is warm (e.g. due to previous operation with a higher operating current). This is made possible by a glass-like protective layer on the LED chip, similar to these of the Nichia 719A. No other LEDs with a similar dedoming option are known. The success rate is very high, I am not aware of any failures due to dedoming to date.

The luminous area is 7.2 mm² in size. The flip-chip design means that no bonding wires are visible; the chip is connected from the underside. Light shining through from the side is not visible, which should improve the optical properties.

Within official parameters, as far as known:

• at 2,200 mA (official maximum current): 698 lm @ 3.08 V
  • Power at official maximum: 6.78 W
  • Efficiency at 2,200 mA: 103 lm/W
  • Maximum reached at 7.6 A, at this point 1524 lm @ 3.47 V
  • Power at maximum 26.4 W
  • Efficiency at maximum 57.7 lm/W

Note: The data given applies to the Nichia 519A sm503 R9080 with dome.

Nichia has set the maximum operating parameters for the 519A very conservatively. The 519A can be overcurrent by four times the specified maximum current.

After dedoming (removal of the silicone dome), the luminous flux drops by around 20 %. However, this is accompanied by a significant increase in luminance, which considerably increases the range in the same optic. This is one of the main reasons why this is done. With the 519A, however, this also serves to adjust the tint; the red tint becomes more intense (the light becomes more ‘rosy’).

The 519A and the further development 519A-V1 are not worlds apart. The luminous flux of the 519A-V1 is higher, but this is primarily due to the colder CCT and maybe better flux binning. The thermal resistance is somewhat lower; with a maximum of 8.6 A, the overcurrent capability is somewhat more pronounced. The characteristic curve of the forward voltage is surprising: while it is still lower than that of the 519A up to around 2 A, it rises more sharply and is around 50 mV higher than the tested 519A. Presumably the aim here was to ensure a lower Vf, especially at low operating current (in particular up to the official maximum operating current).

As expected, the 519A with low color rendering (70 CRI) delivers the highest efficiency and luminous flux values. With 2291 lm at 3.50 V, it is in similar regions to XP-G4 or XP-L2 with low CCT, but with significantly higher light quality in combination with optics.

The extremely low dispersion of the Vf is particularly noteworthy despite the different CCT and CRI. It is particularly worth mentioning here that the LEDs tested here were purchased at different times. Either the LEDs come from rolls with very closely spaced production dates, or the production is so mature that consistently high quality can be produced.

A comparison with other LEDs of a similar design shows that more efficient emitters with a similar color space and color rendering are now available. However, it should be noted that 5000 and 5700 K are being compared here; a deviation in efficiency is possible.

The HL2X has no chance. As already described above and in the test, the thermal resistance is too high, as is the Vf. The maximum is reached at just under 6 A. Although it is on a par with the 519A in terms of efficiency up to around 4 A, the light of the HL2X is very green. In this case, part of the efficiency was achieved with a high green tint.

The Samsung LH351D has a higher light flux with its CCT of 5700 K, but its Vf is extremely high. At 4.2 V at maximum operating current, it is higher than that of LEDs with classic bonding wires. This clearly puts the higher luminous flux into perspective. The LatticePower TN3535 corresponds to the LH351D in terms of design and optical properties, but scores points with a lower Vf and similar efficiency. In principle, the TN3535 does everything better than the LH351D, but here too the tint of it is very greenish, which reduces its suitability for flashlights.

Data for 25 °C Tsp (at 85 °C the luminance values are around 13 % lower).

The dedomed 519A offers around 40 % higher luminance than the 519A with dome. Nevertheless, the luminance is low. The 519A is not recommended for use in throwers, and if it is, then only the 70 CRI version, which should achieve a luminance of 110-130 cd/mm² when dedomed. This LED is more suitable for use in all-rounders or floodlights.

Light quality/beam, tint and spectral data

There are many lamps with the 519A out there, and also many reviews with beamshots for them. Only two beam shots are shown here as examples. Both are from an Emisar DW4 headlamp with 519A 4500 K, bought in February 2024, one of them with a matt (diffuse) lens. The beam is very good and close to perfection, especially with OP reflectors or diffuse TIR lenses. This is one of the main reasons for the popularity of this LED.

With lenses that are not perfectly calculated, there can be slight tint shift, as is the case with the golden Wurkkos WK03 (TLF Edition 2024) - previously the lens of this lamp was used with an SST-40, and this lens was probably optimized for this LED type and radiation directivity, because with the 519A slight rings and tint shift are visible, although this is not very annoying thanks to the consistently good tint.

There is no tint shift when using diffuse optics. If a lamp with a good light image and also good light quality is required, a 519A should be considered.

Not much needs to be said: the light quality is first class. All 519A tested here have a duv of just under or exactly 0. The color rendering is very high (90 CRI variants). The R9 and R12 are also very high. Due to the slight red tint (sometimes called ‘rosy’) in particular, the saturation is higher than in normal daylight. However, this is desired by many users and is one reason for the popularity of the high CRI variants.

The 519A-V1 has a very high CRI of 97 and an R9 of 89, although the R12 is quite low at “only” 77.

It is very likely that there are also “green” variants of the 519A with a duv well above 0; however, these are very rare and hardly exist in the flashlight sector, which is probably mainly due to the procurement of certain CCT binnings by the usual dealers and therefore cannot be generalized for the 519A - in the past there were definitely clearly greenish Nichia 219 LEDs, such as the 219C, which was sometimes measured with a duv above 0.008.

• Ra: 95
  • R9: 93
  • CCT: 5141 K
  • duv: -0.0011

Conclusion

Everyone seems to be talking about the 519A, but I have never tested the LED in my standardized setup so far - until today. Many people prefer this LED, and for good reason.

Good tint, good light quality in optics, acceptable output and efficiency despite 90 CRI. Added to this is the constantly improving availability in various CCTs and compatibility with standard footprints (XP/3535), which makes these LEDs very easy to use in existing lamps. Only certain variants and CRIs are sometimes very difficult to obtain (TLCI, 80 CRI).

Another advantage is the simple dedoming with a very high success rate, which lowers the tint and the duv, which is particularly advantageous for fans of the reddish (‘rosy’) tint and gives more possibilities to create different beams or lighting moods.

Pro

• excellent light quality
  • very good beam
  • dedoming is very easy
  • very good tint

Neutral

• efficiency could be better (90 CRI)
  • low luminance (with dome)

Contra

• sometimes difficult to obtain (special CCT/CRI)

Thank you for reading the test. :slight_smile:

Greetings, Dominik

v1.0.1
13 Thanks

Thank you Dominik for the testing, it is much appreciated.

These results make me like the 519A even more than I already did, though I wonder why the discrepancy in peak current compared to Djozz’s earlier test. Perhaps it’s just the result from differences in the procedure.

Also, could you include the LES area of the dedomed 519A?

It would be interesting to compare the performance of dedomed 519A-V1 R70 against new-gen XP-L HI, if you’re able to test it. Also, does the R70 version similarly become “rosy” when dedomed?

I will add a small note from an experience, one must be careful not to damage the white silicone on the edges while dedoming, or there will be blue shining through the edges and causing artifacts and an ugly beam.

1 Thank

Dominik, with k, please :rofl: scnr

Could be caused by a lot:

• better placement of LED on footprint
  • better solder paste/procedure (better reflowing)
  • better heat dissipation (size heatsink, thermal resistance board → heatsink, better fan)
  • change in production/revision by Nichia
  • some LEDs are better than others despite in same batch or from same reel

If the current is better this is in general a sign of better heat dissipation / lower thermal resistance, sometimes the LED has undergone a newer revision or some design changes, but this is almost never the case.

I cannot answer these questions, because I only have one R70 519A and since they are hard to find I don’t want to modify this LED in any way. I am pretty sure that the tint will be lower in duv after dedoming since the LED is built the same.

Have you experienced an LED being destroyed after dedoming (apart from the ugly beam)?

1 Thank

I did destroy one, but it was on purpose while trying to extract the phosphor for an experiment.

For all intents and purposes though, the emitter was unusable after a large chunk of the white silicone broke off, due to how bad the tint had become, in a reflector light at least.

I also had the glass crack two times (one was my own dedoming, the other came like that), but it seems to still be fine.

I understand, I was unable to obtain any of the non-r9080 variants of the 519A myself, V1 or original.

The main worry about tint is because of bad experience dedoming low-CRI emitters from Cree, where the R9050 version becomes rosy, the R70 version becomes greenish.

I suppose an estimate could be extrapolated, using a “conversion factor” based on the domed results, or comparing against an R90 XP-L HI.

I’m still pretty interested in the dedomed LES though, I have one in an Emisar D1 with surprisingly good throw at 5A, around 40kcd, while having very high CRI for a light that throwy.

Also, how is the tint of the 219A you’ve got? I’ve seen a few for sale but never picked one up.

Yes, this is quite possible.
If I can get some 70 CRI 519A I will test the dedoming of them. (This is the reason why I always at least need 3 emitters for testing)

If you can get some 519A in decent binning and cool white CCT, they can be decent throwy indeed - my 5000K sample tested here has a lower flux bin it seems, so the luminance after dedoming could be 10-20 percent better.

So far I remember it looks really good (especially for it’s age, this LED shown in the comparison should be from 2011 or so, I got from a fellow member some years ago and didn’t do anything about since then). It should not have any green in it. Of course they are incredibly ineffcient nowadays.

1 Thank

How does it compare to the tint of a 219B? There is very little information on such an old emitter, and I am tempted to try it out, maybe built into an S2+ triple, or something similarly old-school.

Also, I noticed you are missing the 319B in your collection of 3535 Nichia emitters.

I found some from a relatively mysterious Aliexpress seller (has a lot of old/rare emitters), maybe you are interested in a few for collector’s sake, seeing they’re pretty cheap for a set of 10

Yes, mine is an sm573 from Hank. Unsure of flux bin, it was a D1v2 from the very first batch if that’s a marker of it’s age.

It would be good to know what flux bin your trusted emitter is, so the curve could be scaled up/down for different temperatures.

If I ever end up with some, you’ll be first in line with a sample :slight_smile:

1 Thank

Maybe I can shove in a small test of the 219A. Unfortunately I have no information on what order code it is, or even where it bought initially so the emitter itself remains quite mysterious…

The 219A was released in Summer 2010, so you better get some host or light of this era. S2+ is way to modern for such an old historic piece of Nichia history :smiley:

Interesting, thank you! He even ships to Germany, which is quite rare for LEDs on Ali nowadays…

I also have no reliable information about order code. I bought 20pcs 519A from last flash sale at Wurkkos, and I asked Terry about the P/N and date code. Unfortunately I got no more response after first answer (he said it could be quite difficult to obtain these information, whatever that means)

1 Thank

I can do a quick color test later, the R70s (5-step) I have are terribly green though, even if it lowers the duv it’ll still be green.

1 Thank

The R70 I got from you was quite nice. At least not as green as most Luminus/Sanan emitters…

Btw, this seller stole some of my LED test pictures (319A).

He is NOT authorized to do this!

4 Thanks

This sample is actually much better than the one I measured before (it was about 0.007) :

sm505 R70 domed, 17mm beaded TIR :
0.5A : CCT = 4775K (Duv 0.0021)
1.0A : CCT = 4855K (Duv 0.0010)
2.0A : CCT = 4953K (Duv -0.0005)

sm505 R70 dedomed, 17mm beaded TIR :
0.5A : CCT = 3976K (Duv 0.0058)
1.0A : CCT = 4021K (Duv 0.0048)
2.0A : CCT = 4078K (Duv 0.0038)

So as you feared @YBF650 , it becomes more green.

Now I remember having tested this already, but I couldn’t find my measurements.

2 Thanks

Thank you.

Interesting. For 519A high CRI the duv is lower, for low CRI it goes up.
Would be interesting to know why this happens. I cannot explain this in the moment.

My guess is that since the high CRI variant has dedicated red phosphor, dedoming results in a certain amount of light in other colors, from blue to green, being converted to red.

With low CRI emitters there is no dedicated red phosphor, and the red emission is just the right tail of the emission from yellow phosphor. Upon dedoming some blue is lost (which raises duv), and turned into yellow light which does not offset the increase in duv the same way red light does.

Though there do exist low CRI emitters that improve in tint after dedoming (such as an old XM-L2 I had), so that’s not the full story.

It’s unfortunate they’ve used images without asking permission, though I’d say not entirely surprising for no-name chinese sellers.

Ah, that explains it. I usually buy my 519a from Convoy, which has more detailed bin information available.

I’ll probably have an old ultrafire tubelight from the early 2010s soon, maybe I’ll put it there. It’ll probably need a new driver and mcpcb but I’m not sure what the max current it can be driven to. I suppose 2A would be a safe guess?

To be honest, I don’t care how big a store is and whether it can afford product images or not. I don’t go there and simply steal pictures from the manufacturer or other LED testers for my tests.
If you want to sell products, you should also take your own pictures. So simple.

What is particularly brazen is that the images in the shop listing have been deliberately reduced in size so that the watermark is not visible, and what makes me really angry is that the whole thing is really just brazenness: there is another offer from 319A with (presumably also stolen) images from another source:

I know that I cannot do really much about it, but this is what most people about chinese economy think: copy+paste. This kind of thing doesn’t exactly give you the best reputation in the West, as before.

1 Thank

There are not too many surprises here. This one is up on Mount Rushmore. It makes me wonder how Nichia can get high CRI so right while Cree never fails to get it so wrong.

I did wonder why those images looked so familiar…

The 219F also has glass under the dome like the 519A. I found out accidentally after destroying a 5700K R9080 I had got from Simon. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to check how much the CCT and duv changes with dedoming.

1 Thank

Excellent test, thank you!

Might there be an error with the intensity numbers for the domed 519A-V1 5700K?

Unlikely, since the light flux (efficiency) is much higher than domed 5000 K (V0), so it roughly equals to dedomed 5000 K variant. Also the maximum current possible is higher for the 519A-V1.

1 Thank