Noctigon Meteor M43 official sales and discussion thread

Can anyone please tell me how those four triples in the M43 are connected to the boost driver? What part is connected in series and what part in parallel? Thanks.

Perhaps this will help…

Each triple is in series with the positive connected in the middle and the negative connected in the trace around the outside. To re-enforce this negative trace that carries so much load, there is a copper ring soldered onto the MCPCB.

Thank you Dale! :+1:

I got some new Bat Trees today. :smiley:

Samsung 25S 18650’s for the Meteor. Low internal resistance, very comparable to the Sony VTC5A and 5D. Charged 4 of em up and gave em a whirl in this little Supercharged Meteor…

18,940.5 lumens!!! :smiley: Insanity Grand Central.

Trade you my stock m43 for yours :wink:

next in line for trade if BeardedRaleigh doesn’t happen :wink:

Hahahaha!
Y’all DO know that the light can’t be run at that level, right? I mean, 10-12 seconds and that’s about it, either the driver will glitch under a thermal management overload or it will lock up and you can’t turn it off, have to unscrew the head while it heats up to scalding level. Now, Lightning mode is really wickedly cool, no problem there. But something about predictive management and integer dumps and excess heat exceedingly fast and the driver says Whoa Nelly! TK’s aware, working on it, but not sure it can be solved given the components available. If it can be solved, we know she’ll do it. She’s got the magic wand, after all…. :wink:

I’m really not looking forward to rewriting the thermal regulation code… again. I know it needs to be done, but it’s obnoxious to actually do. So I’ve been dragging my feet about that.

The current code works fine at reasonable power-to-mass ratios… but it seems to get an integer overflow or something on really overpowered hosts like the D4. So, for now, on super-hot hosts, I gave it a workaround. There’s a hardcoded “sane” level and if it detects overheating above that level, it drops down to the sane level before attempting any normal regulation.

Whenever I rewrite the code, the idea is to get rid of the hardcoded level and just let the regulation code work. But to do that, it needs to stop overflowing. Also, I’m hoping the rewrite will be smaller so it’ll free up space for other things.

Is the code open source?

Your efforts in keeping up with all this kind of thing are heroic TK. I don’t know how often this situation would arise, I mean, look, it took me over 3 years to make it happen on this Meteor! lol Sure, I could pull back some of the tweaks I used to get there and the driver would probably then be able to handle it, and realistically the light isn’t useable in Turbo level at this output anyway, but the Lightning mode makes it worthwhile, in as long as I can remember not to leave it on Turbo for more than 10 seconds. :wink:

I have actually been considering reworking it, putting in 22ga leads and making some effort to reduce current for reliability and safety. Like, it was doing pretty dang well at 11,000 lumens before this last upgrade… :smiley:

Of course. Click the Link in my signature.

Safe and Sane Fireworks?

Who will pay for that?

Do flattop 30q batteries work on the noctigon?

They do if you solder blob them, otherwise no. The wrap and insulation disc create a physical block that doesn’t allow the flat top to touch the contact ring in most cases.

Bummer, what batteries are people using?

You can usually find a button top 30Q, Sony VTC5A also can be found with button top usually and are probably the most powerful. The 30Q is almost as powerful with more capacity for longer run time.

Looking at availability,I think I would go with the Sanyo NCR18650GA with 3450mAh capacity at $6.99 each from IMRBatteries.com

These work great, have excellent capacity, button top, and a decent price… :wink:

Severely unimpressed by the meteor. Color rendition is great with the 219c but the output is lackluster and the UI is somewhat obtrusive. I’m using LGDBMJ11865 batteries, do I need to upgrade?

No. You will need button top. I like samsung 30q… they works great… illumn sell samsung 30q buttn top… $5.50 each. Free shipping $50 or more.

Charging up a set of 30q, let’s see if these increase the power output.