Sofirn C8F host. 21700 C8F Available

It’s the Kaidomain 20mm boost driver.

Stock, it outputs 18W, so about 6A from the cell, and 6V 3A to the emitters, or modded, 9V 2A

With something like 3x Samsung LH351Ds, it could easily make 2200+ lumens OTF.

Buck driver? I would need to find a way to make an extension tube haha. Buck driver are not worth it in a 1S 3V white LED configuration.

Ah, you’re thinking small… I was thinking more in terms of 18-27Amps, maybe more, from the 21700 form factor. :wink: [8,000-10,000 lumens]

2200 lumens is less than the little DQG Brass Beauty in 18500 battery format I made for my buddy. (single emitter)

Lexel has a high power boost driver, but is having issues getting NarsilM to run on it. (6v 6A or 12v 3A, maybe a bit higher)

You will not see any real high current Boost drivers (in small sizes) as the components and pcb traces can’t handle the current.

Ahh ok.

If you were to push it say to 27-30W, so about 9V 3A, you would be getting 3000+lumens OTF with LH351Ds or even more with a Luxeon V.

The difference is that 2200+ and 3000+ lumens from a boost driver unlike a FET driver.

Although, now that I think about it, I will try building a monster C8F with a Samsung 30T, beryllium copper 38% IACS springs, and 3x Luxeon MZs, just to see how much stuff I can burn in front of me.

I seem to be stuck up against the ceiling… :wink:

Once in a great while I will mod down if I see a need, but that doesn’t happen much. We’re ingrained here with the Go Big or Go Home mentality, can’t help it.

So yeah, I was thinking 3 SST-40’s on a Samsung 30T, maybe 9A per emitter or a little better, for some 8,500 lumens or more, depending on how the details worked out… An extension tube would make things interesting, allowing the use of sliced and diced 70.2’s for some really stewpid output. (My scratch built triple 70.2 pulls 48A for 20,500 lumens on a pair of 30T’s) [It’s too much, makes tons of heat, just sayin]

The high powered boost driver is not an ‘if’ but ‘when’

Considering they have already been made in small numbers it’s bound to happen. Between the smaller vendors on the forums and Richard @ MtnE one of them will make one. Richard even told me he has had one working for months just isn’t his highest priority to bring to market cause I don’t think he sees the demand. I gave him “our” pitch so hopefully he sees the light, pun intended. He said he would order more boards and work on it though.

He knows the demand and he actually had it working last year before Christmas, it’s just not a priority on the very long list of his, he has many projects and customers to take care of …

“High powered” is relative. When it comes to small boost drivers like 20mm the limit is about 35w (4,000 lumen). This is a physical limit due to the components (coils, I think) and pcb. These drivers carry 15A to 20A which maxes them out. It’s quite different from a FET driver that can be tiny and carry 50A+.

Richard has them and Lexel has them, but I think they are both limited to about 35W. I haven’t asked Richard what his boost drivers limits are. If you happen to know, I am interested.

Obviously I used the term high powered relative to what is even possible in this form factor. With that being said the loneoceans driver v2 advertises 50W in 17mm size and claims he could go even higher with 20mm and above footprint. This one has build a thread and everything. Richard and Lexel, who knows. In any case there will, eventually, be something better than the kaidomain option that is already out there.

I’m still waiting for my 2S 12v Boost drivers…. :open_mouth: I mean I’ll be happy with 2S 12v Boost drivers. :smiley:

And I’m waiting for 1S 2A/12V in 2x mm. Far from 50W@17 mm yet still not available…. :frowning:

Loneoceans is refering to 50w on the input side.

I was referring to the output side, the power going to the emitter. 35w is about the limit.

Lexels can also draw about 50w to 55w on the input side. They both have about the same output.

That is quite achievable. Loneoceans does 2.5A and Lexels does 3A at 12v. Lexels boost driver is 20mm and up.

Lexel hasn’t talked much about his boost drivers. He’s trying to get Bistro and NarsilM working on them. Bistro might be useable, but I think NarsilM still needs some more work. He can’t do the necessary software coding.

Anyway, sorry to get off Sofirn topic.

Wait, if 50W was input power, and 35W was output power,
wouldn’t that mean that it would only be 70% efficient?

Even lonoceans himself said that his driver is always 90+ efficient, not 70.

47 W out with 89% efficiency when driving 6V LED.

I think both boost drivers are about the same.

We are talking rough numbers here. Not 35w exact or 50w exact. These aren’t even production drivers. One guy says his did 6.5A on a 6v led, the other guy says his does 6A on a 6v led. They are about the same.

From Loneocean:

I don’t want to be nit picky, I just think it’s fair to say they are about the same.

Maybe they are both about 45w? I try to be a bit conservative with hand built drivers so maybe 35w is too conservative. Let’s say they are 40w to 45w.

Loneoceans is not producing his drivers for sale, Lexel is, but has roadblocks with the UI. Richard may or may not produce one for sale. I have gotten a bit tired waiting to build my own 70.2, single 26650 boost driver light. I might get the Rofis MR70 instead.

BTW, I think I saw the first factory light with one of these really high powered boost drivers in it from Acebeam, the EC65. Maukka tested it at 3750 lumen and it was drawing 15A from the 21700 battery. This sounds very similar power wise to the 2 boost drivers we are talking about.

Anyway, got to go for now.

I think there is a few driver topic.

I love the dual switch design! I also like the illuminated side switch. Does the driver and illuminated side switch have LVP?