The making of the BLF UC4 charger: the start of a new venture, INTEREST LIST, UPDATE 7 (Well, ramping stopped :/ )

YogibearAl I was also going to chime in and say something hours ago, yet refrained. But now that I'm here, and also given leftdisconnected's statement, I'll say that concerning standard li-ion cells (not LiFePO4) I don't see how a charger can increase their performance with the exception of overcharging the cells. Standard li-ion chemistries will grab extra voltage, capacity and energy if overcharged, at a reduced lifespan price. Depending on cell chemistry, type and or quality this may also involve other risks (years ago I received some fake Samsung ICR18650-30B cells which died upon charging them to 4.35 V, for example).

Please add me to the list for qty. 1.

Thanks!

I’d be interested in one of these. +1 Masejoer

With RC’s it’s more about the health of the entire multi cell pack. A properly balanced pack probably does perform longer and better. I admit differences were seen less with LiPo packs that were well matched and balanced.
With NiMh that I have more experience with, a good charger has its benefits. I was working with some friends who bought a generic charger for their battery packs, their packs consistently ran longer and their cars faster when charged with my Intengy charger. Now we didn’t measure the output or discharge rates, but after I ran through some discharge charge cycles their capacity also increased. I know this is all annectdotal, but I never thought to do individual cell testing back when I was into RC. Today I would probably do a more detailed analysis to understand it better. I was just hoping something like this was similar in these newer lithium cells used today. If not that is fine too. I currently own an Xstar VC4S charger that allows up to 3A charging of single cells. Based on what I’m hearing charging single lithium cell at 2-3A is not advised? Like I mentioned, I’m new to these batteries and am reading up in this forum and others. So any knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I already fixed your quote YogibearAl. ;-)

Series packs are different beasts, particularly with the aforementioned standard li-ion (4.2+ V) chemistries. This is because high voltage li-ion does not tolerate overcharging, i.e. it is quite harmful. In my opinion, standard li-ion balance boards (or BMS boards with balance) do a poor job in this respect due to them performing controlled battery stage or cell bleeding at an already high voltage while the charger may still be pumping current into the series pack. Much better balance algorithms could be devised.

Topping up a Ni-MH or Ni-CD series pack at a gentle, low charge rate balances it, but of course takes quite a bit of time. In an old DeWalt user manual it is said to keep the battery in the charger for up to 8 additional hours after a full charge, that time frame being employed in refresh/tuning mode, which charges battery at ≈5% of standard rate (150 mA in a 2.8 A charger, for example).

LiFePO4 chemistry is quite a bit different than standard li-ion, being more resilient and tolerating overcharge (within certain limits, of course). A LiFePO4 series pack can also be balanced by charging it at a low C-rate, I know this due to self-experience.

I am interested in 1. Please put me on the list!

Ah, I can totally accept that statement :slight_smile: . Balancing is crucial with “standard” li-ion chemistries and Barkuti already covered the differences with LiFePO4.

Without evidence, I won’t accept a claim that a single cell will provide more capacity if “conditioned” somehow differently than a standard, safe charge profile to an identical termination voltage and current. I’m open to examining such evidence, though.

If one charger reliably produces more cell capacity than another, then it must have a different charge profile and/or termination point.

Interested!

Please put me down for 1 unit.

Thanks…

-dmm

Interested in one.

I’ll never charge past 4.2V if I have a choice.

Regarding a charger improving performance: I don’t know much about any sort of “reconditioning” for LiIon. I know it works to some degree with NiMh/NiCd (have done it myself hundreds of times on many different cell types…). Other than that, you just want proper charge voltage and termination - and balance, if packs are being used.

interested +1.

Yes, but the only “reconditioning” I’m aware of for NiMH/NiCd is running a cell through some number of discharge/recharge cycles. That’s nothing more than discharging and recharging repeatedly, which while often effective at restoring some capacity, is not the sort of magical “conditioning” that some charger brands have claimed over the years. I recall that one NiMH charger brand even claimed 15-20 years ago that it had a proprietary (likely patent-ever-pending) charge method that “removed crystalline structures” from cells. Unless it shot 100A through the cell in extremely short bursts, it was bulls**t.

That’s why the word “reconditioning” raises the hair on the back of my neck :wink: .

I am interested in 1. Please put me on the list.

I have an Accumanager 20 charger that does NiMH batteries. It claims to use some proprietary method to rejuvenate cells. It does charging intervals, interspaced with brief discharge pulses. IMO, I think it’s B.S. But, the charger works well, and it’s my only charger that does C, D, and 9v NiMH batteries. So, I still use it.

interested in 2 chargers,
you got me with the max. charging V (e.g. stopp at 4.1) and the storage charge/discharge option as well as the variable input voltage.
If the charge is as good as the feature list suggests, than it blows away chargers that are nearly twice as expensive - impressive you guys here at BLF!
Olles

BlueSwordM you have a PM :stuck_out_tongue:

Below are additions since last update and the BLF INTEREST LIST file linked to in post #1 have been updated too.
The interest list count now stands at 514 chargers.

POST# NAME

1119 lionheart_2281
1121 buck91
1123 tekwyzrd
1126 ImLagging
1128 Asbestos
1129 jeff51
1130 sandro
1131 Specialsteve
1132 Juls Boo
1133 hexcode
1134 Guns712
1135 Jaddie
1136 leroycp
1137 alifpb98
1138 woodyt
1139 YogibearAl
1143 didge
1144 Masejoer
1147 Toglud
1149 Sharpenologist
1150 likebutta
1151 Pino4et
1154 Launcher
1156 olles

If anyone is not on the list please notify me. Thanks!

I’m in for 1.

please add me to the list for 1

interested