What did you use your flashlight for today?

I shined my light on a one way street sign when I saw a guy signaling to turn the wrong way.

Very nice. I can get an Evanix Rainstorm II from shops around here, but haven’t seen the Blizzard s10.

Definitely. I use my lights almost every time I clean. It’s sooooooo much easier to see what I’m doing! (compared to, like, overhead lights)

Usually I use my BST-wide, or sometimes I’ll get out a UV light if I really want to see the unseen.

Last week on a work trip, the UV light allowed me to see that it was, despite being a high-end fancy hotel, the dirtiest hotel room I’ve ever stayed in. I doubt they’ve washed or even wiped down the walls since the place was built. The only part visible in natural light was an area where someone apparently sneezed on the wall and left some big nasty boogers, but pretty much every vertical surface in the room was filthy when viewed via blacklight.

Where I live, that wouldn’t be very effective… the street signs are all made with reflective material which shines directly back toward the source of the light and doesn’t really appear to light up when viewed from other angles.

what light or LED chip is this?

Today I used several of my flashlights to hold my batteries.

On a field trip with a biology class, at night in the camp house we played a few games of werewolves in the dim light of my Cofly 18650 zoomie modded with a dedomed 80cri xml2 6A tint, the qlite 12x7135driver was set on 2% low. A paprika flavoured crisp was used as the perfect diffuser for the occasion.

I’m guessing you’re asking about the UV light. Its the 365nm P60 drop-in from KaiDomain, which appears to have two UV emitters on one die. I don’t know the emitter model. IIRC it allows from 3V to 18V as input, and works significantly better on two cells (~8V) than on one (~4V). I’m using two 18350 cells in a Solarforce L2m. Not sure if the lens cuts the output; I haven’t tried removing the lens to find out, and if it does interfere, I’m not sure what to replace it with.

In any case, it reveals all sorts of messes which aren’t visible under normal lighting… and fluoresces things a lot better than a cheap 12-LED UV light I got a couple years ago (supposedly 375nm, but I suspect it’s actually 395 or 405).

Mood lighting, stat!

I always have enough lights on me that I can provide mood lighting pretty much wherever I am… but I haven’t used a crisp as a diffuser. Usually I just ceiling-bounce it. I suppose that wouldn’t be an option while outdoors though. So, in that case I’d probably use a single layer of facial tissue.

With a run time of 10+ hours (or usually 40+ or even 100+ hours), I see no reason not to use a torch instead of a traditional light bulb in a relaxed social setting.

Moles and trolls, moles and trolls.

Except at the very last elevator ride out of the building, when ALL power died, just as the doors were about to close.

I had my EDC out before anyone could exclaim, said something like “here we go again”, when my co-worker pointed out the elevators themselves had died as well!

Needless to say, we stepped out into the foyer & awaited Power.

Sunwayman R15A for about 2 hours trying to fix a PC of my brother.

H52 for 45mins on M1-M2 to mount and clean a PC.

H52 on H1/H2 for one hour to try to fix piping/tap going in washing machine (I failed). Was on Monday.

H52 on H1/H2 for 45 mins today (pitch dark) going outside figuring out why water is not being cut when I closed all valves, ladder to roof top to check tank/close valves + use on H1 inside to change tap + pipes and test new setup! Works flawlessly :slight_smile:

Used one to search the carpet for a piece of metal wich was clipped of a resistor, but did fly a few meters in stead of landing on my desk as usual

I jogged with my SK68 with XPE red emitter this evening. To keep the fast bicycles away from path and to be visible to the drivers when I am crossing the dim slip roads or junctions.

I like hearing about what people do with their lights, but I feel silly posting about it. For me, it’s generally a dozen times per day for all sorts of things, and most don’t seem worth mentioning.

Like… found a lost earring or 7135 chip in shag carpet, used a headlamp and stereo loupes to help me solder stuff or precisely cut something or even just do my nails, used a photon grenade and a UV light to see where I needed to clean, used a high-CRI or wide-spectrum light to see if I was getting a cold or just tired, ceiling-bounced a ~20 lm light to help someone with a severe headache see where they were going without making their head hurt, shined my EDC at cars while crossing a dark road, biked with a ~150 lm diffused light to show me the path ahead, nightly moon-mode night light, moon-mode 3am trips to the bathroom, checked under my seat at a movie to make sure I didn’t drop anything, provided lighting for photos, avoided bugs and spiderwebs in my crawlspace, checked the shared mailbox at night, keychain light to find the ignition on my car, and lots of other little things… and that’s just in the past two or three days.

But if my EDC enables me to save someone’s life or something, I’ll be sure to mention it. :slight_smile:

I live in an apartment building but I don’t own a parking lot inside this place. So almost every night I have to park my car far from the building and usually in the dark. That’s when flashlight really needed to check my car’s condition and also for my own safety.

I just used a flashlight to make the road a bit safer.
It was around 01.00 and I heard a loud cracking noise. I was almost asleep and I thought someone hit a parked car so I rushed to the balcony to check out what made the noise and see if everything was okay.
Couldn’t see anything so went back inside again. A minute later I hear a car and again a cracking noise. So this time I picked up my hd2010 to scout the area and road. I spotted a large object on the road, couldn’t tell if it was a plastic pipe or branch or something. Again a car passes the point where I thought I had seen something and yes, again some cracking. I was almost sure it was a large branch. Right then I saw a moped coming so I was lighting the object and hoped he would see it in time. Unfortunately he noticed it too late, he was able to slow down a bit but could not avoid it anymore. A lot of cursing, but instead of clearing it from the road he just drove away. So I decided to go outside and toss it in the bushes since it would make a lot of noise every time someone would ride over it and it wasn’t safe. So switched the hd2010 for a convoy s3, went downstairs and to the road and used to convoy to look what it was and to clean the road, and to make myself visible for other drivers.
It was indeed a branch. 2.5-3 meter tall, thickness of at least 8 cm, so tossed it in the bushes, tossed the broken parts in the bushes and kick the smaller broken off parts to the side.

Bit of a sad thing that several people drive over or by and nobody seems to care to get out of their car and toss it aside.
At least this gave me a real opportunity to use a flashlight. These are pretty well lit area’s and most of the time there is no real need to carry a flashlight. People even look funny at you when you do use a flashlight while walking outside and probably think you are about the break in somewhere :open_mouth: :expressionless:

I got a job as a cleaner for service apartments for extra cash as a uni student, and I’ve noticed that the better the rooms the more trashed they are because people tend to rent them out for parties or after parties.

Wiping down the walls isn’t required as it’s not visible dirt and takes too long to clean. Time = money so time spent cleaning something that already looks clean is a waste of money.

I’m against the haphazard cleaning myself, but I have no say in it.

Just after I got a TK75, I was playing with it at my partner’s place (before we lived together), and just generally shining it around indoors and enjoying the delightfully throwy beam and overall quality. The next morning, one of the neighbors woke us up really early to tell us they thought a burglar had gotten in the night before, and they wanted to let us know and check if we were okay. So, my partner explained it was just me playing with a new light… and the neighbor responded in utter shock and disbelief, wondering why anyone would ever want to use a flashlight inside instead of just turning on a bulb.

In general, I got weird responses almost every time I used the TK75. It’s apparently a bad thing to have inside a city. I went out to a nearby park one night with a great lookout over a large area, and shined it around to test out the throw. Within about a minute, I got some angry flashing responses from a police officer who was patrolling the park at the time… or maybe they were just jealous that mine was brighter. I had no idea they were there until they started shining their flashlight at me. In any case, I eventually gave the TK75 to my dad, who lives in the country. It’s much more useful there.

I probably get weird looks in public though, since lately I’ve had four lights hanging off the outside of my purse… a ZL H52Fw on the front, a Thrunite T10T on the side, a custom Convoy S7-219 clipped to the back, and a little always-on green fob at the base of the strap to help me locate it in the dark. I really don’t need to carry so many, but it’s hard to choose just one or two when there are so many that I like so much.

Last night I heard lots of rustling in the bushes outside. The Rustu R108 I modded was perfect for checking foliage. It was just foxes, probably playing hide and seek. It was quite humid and its tight beam cut through the mist well.

The Olight ST-25 on the other hand was a let down. It isn’t really a thrower but I am using it daily so reached for it first. The beam, although powerful, was too scattered to be of real use as a search light at this distance and humidity (~23 metres).

I also used my Tank007 E09 with Nichia 119 to inspect some things up close as I needed the better colour renditioning.