What do you hunters look for in a light?

It was in the middle of the day and the 1504 was standing next to a C8. I’m sure if he saw the 1504 next to my TM16 he would have wanted that instead. That’s why I asked the questions here. I wasn’t sure if that would have been a good host. After the replies, I went back to my friend, actually my cousin, and asked him specific questions on what the intended use would be, and we came up with a host that I believe will work well. Actually, the 1504 probably would work for him, but he wants 2 lights built and the extra cost of the 1504 host puts him over his budget.

Anyhow, thanks all for the replies. I’ve gotten the info I came for, so feel free to take this thread wherever.

I’m surprised the muzzle brake didn’t blow his little tent down.

Anyways, we use a couple of these old floody 12v Makita’s. They run all night on one charge. They’ll light eyes 400 yards out but you can’t see much else beyond 100yds.

When it’s time to shoot, I fire up a modded Maglite.

These are both older XML emitters.

They’re bright but it’s time for an update. I have some Wight boards coming from Osh Park and a bunch of others parts coming so a few new lights are in the works.

I rarely use weapon mounted lights any more but who needs it when you’re shooting up a tree?

Thanks for showing but you definitely need upgrade.
How can you hunt with only 20 000 candela?

We have 300 000 candela lights this days that weights 250 grams and 15 cm of length.

Put them all in a drawer box as I did to my magcharger and buy yourself just one B158 and modd it.

After that upgrade forget about reflector lights for hunting.

When you turn on reflector LED light, your night vision is killed by spill light that is reflecting from nearby objects & environment. Your pupil of the eye narrows and you see less. The brighter the environment is, the narrower is the pupil of the eye, so there’s a reduction in light that hits the fundus. Aspherical type of beam has sharp borders, so there is better contrast between illuminated area and dark area. The enhanced contrast lets you to perceive objects/persons/things better.

It is not spooking game so much as reflector light since there is no reflection from environment which game perceive much sooner or instantly if you use reflector light. For example if you use reflector light and start scanning at left point – game on the right point will see spill much before you even hit it with reflector hotspot beam, while it will perceive aspheric type of beam only when directly exposed since there is no spill or environment reflection.

So in my experience(not only mine) when I use reflector lights(and I really have a lot of powerful reflector lights in collection with 300+ kcd) game will start running as hell as soon as I turn it on. Sometimes when certain more floody reflector lights are used there is also reflection from barrel(moderator) as a side affect that makes scope vision foggy.

well i do a little hunting myself so i decided to build myself one of these, its not weapon mounted but if there is two of you out at night its fine. you could always use the same led and electronics in your choice of host with aspheric, maybe in something smaller and i think you’d get some good results. Personally i haven’t been out for a hunt since ive built it but i cant wait to try it out.

Hey, don’t be so quick to throw these olds Maglites under the Bus. They have given me years of good service and are still totally adequate for 90% of my needs around the house and in the woods. Run times are excellent, nice color temps from Cutter and easy to focus beams. I expect I’ll be using them for years to come. Where they lack is throw. A lot has come to market since I built these so it’s time to build a few more. Another change is that the Chinese are listening and building much better lights. If they could just PLEASE drop the flashy modes. I took your advise and ordered a couple B158’s. We’ll see how I like them.

You should order

- 1x B158 (furthest throw but smallest hotspot, best flood mode, tail focus action, FW clicky)

- 1x UF 1503 (bigger hotspot but little less throw, good flood, head focusing action, RW clicky)

• 1x UF 1508 50mm (newest lego flashlight, poor flood mode, you can swap head for smaller or bigger(heads from 38-74mm), RW clicky )

Cost for all 3 around 65$ And from them chose your favorite.

I forgot about my magcharger like I forgot on lot of cars I sold in past :slight_smile: I will have to revive it and upgrade it with all those glass breaking stuff + possible MTG2 conversion.

I am talking about modded versions of this lights so you must also get or make yourself FET driver, copper mcpcb(sinkpad or noctigon) with XPG2S42B de domed, bypassed switch and driver spring, thicker wires(22 + awg’s)

So if you are used on 20 kcd B158 will have about 20 kcd in flood mode and could cover fov of more than 50m on 100 meters. You can adjust it to your needs.

Uf 1503 would be my favorite cause it can be turned on completely silent with twist to turn tailcap move, head focusing action which I prefer over B158 tail action. But to much lottery with this light lenses(you can be struck with good one or bad one). Not a single issue with B158 lenses. They are all same… Each of them will go over 300 kcd if done properly.

Did we all just gloss over this???

Good point Sedstar.

Flashlight expert always knows what’s best for his buddy that is not flashlight expert :smiley:

Didn’t miss it. I responded a few posts above. All taken care of now thanks to all the replies from the experts.

Hey, thought I’d put a quick update in here. I ended up using a UF-T20 host with a red XP-E2 running at 2.1A. I’ve had it built for several weeks now as the guy has yet to pick it up. I’ve never owned a light with a red led and couldn’t quite understand why anyone would want one. But, I seriously hope he forgets I built this, because I’m loving it. I had no idea I had so many critters watching my house each night. The eyes just pop out no matter how far away they are…way beyond what I thought this would reach. If my buddy does remember I’ll probably build another with the same specs for myself.

on my night vision forum? most of the guys are in europe, and most of them in england… “lamping” is common over there, its not as rare as it is here in the states to hunt at night with focusing lights.

most of the guys have a cool aspherical with InfraRed emitter, for night vision obviously? but… they almost all have red and green and blue and even white aspheric flashlights too, for “lamping”.

red is popular, lol…

Now that is nice!!! :smiley:

Ok….can I play hunting videos?

Better dont( i played that already some time ago), animal “fans” will come any minute now and the drama will start

I love animals too, really you should SEE me cuddling with my cat, talking baby talk… of course? i also like PORK CHOPS, and, I dont mind blasting the *&^% out of raccoons, breaking into the house and tearing stuff up, lol.

i mean, anyone that does like a good steak? but, they are against hunting “cause i love animals”… i mean, how do they think the cow gets on their PLATE… i mean, the cow doesnt commit hari kari… the pig doesnt slit its wrists to make bacon… someone has to kill the animal.

“animal lovers” watch TV shows that show the predator animals hunting for food… whats wrong with humans hunting for food? whats the difference whether my CAT hunts squirrels and eats them… or i do it?

this politically correct stuff, and the SJW (social justice warrior) stuff? they take it too far.

flashlights are legal… hunting is legal… whats wrong with it? nothing

but, we cant put up videos of us enjoying flashlights for something cool? why? because someone doesnt like it? gee whiz.

Hey sedstar. I almost PM’d the admin here to see if we could get you banned. I spend way too much every month on flashlights, and you had to go put a link to a DIY night vision forum in your sig which I of course had to click on. Thanks a lot :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, there’s that whole ‘RODENT’ thing… :disappointed:

I think the availability of rodent meat is what gave us the opportunity to have pets. But then I’m constantly baffled by the lack of a ‘mouse-flavored’ cat food.

But seriously, eating meat is what gave humans the ability to make, discuss and enjoy flashlights, hunting rifles, knives, and everything else we do.

Anybody in their right mind should be an animal lover, since animals made that mind capable of love possible in the first place. People who object to Nature’s diet (including meat) make me wonder if maybe their evolutionary lineage might have not included such advantages…

I’m here to testify my love! I love the fact that, with the application of simple seeds, nuts, roots, bark and leaves, you can eat an entire cow & each meal can taste completely (sometimes radically) different than every other one. What better way to honor that cow than to prepare it so joyfully and enjoyably?

What kind of light does this hunter want? One that has a true White beam, so I can tell when the steaks are done!

I would like to see constructive and smart reply from anti hunters on this…

Well maybe there are few among them eating weeds and roots so I am really looking forward for reply :slight_smile:

man, whats the “thing” with…

“oh, we better not post flashlight hunting videos and pictures… the DRAMA will come for us, we better not do it…”

=

I looked at the BLF rules…

nothing says we cant post videos with flashlights for hunting. Now, i can see “animal huggers” claiming its a “divisive topic”, but… on THAT logic? any one can get ANYTHING removed, simply because they complain, therefor its divisive…

this logic train would, to me, seem to be circular in nature… and leads to “anyone is free to ban anything” in practice.

==

in all actuality? whining about a hunting flashlight video would seem to fall into the “dont be rude” rule… to be honest.

on the DIY digital night vision site? the lads REALLY are into aspherics for the infrared illuminators. I posted a picture of a LED visible flashlight once? guys wanted “BEAMSHOTS!”

these guys a serious flashaholics, lol… visible, IR, colored, whatever… they are into headlamps and everything.

hunters and outdoorsmen are a big segment of the flashaholic world… we shouldnt have to feel ashamed.

Vegs Gonna Neg

So would I!! In fact, I think most of us would like to see that.

However, comma,

To paraphrase a cute movie, ‘It’s a fool who looks for logic in the mind of a hate-addicted True Believer.’

I’ve decided life is just too short, and I’ve got stuff to do. I rejoice in their exercise of their Free Speech Right, exercise my own Free Speech Right to drop them a useful clue (should they choose to pursue it) and then move on. Otherwise they’ll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Look at it this way: The more they recruit, the more MEAT for the rest of us. Go veggies!!

And if they ever do decide to act on their beliefs, one of those Natural Laws dictates that they’ll have to spend ~20% extra time simply chewing, just to keep up with the nutrition we’re able to intake — eventually they’ll all fall behind, evolutionarily speaking, and we can get back to the Future…

All this OT is making me hungry for a cheeseburger! And I still can’t find an LED light that will let me see when that cheeseburger is done cooking, as well as a century-old incan.