Uniquefire UF-1405 - A worthy zoomy?

640 posts / 0 new
Last post
djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 11 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 18138
Location: Amsterdam

M4D M4X wrote:
how far can i go with stock LED on ALU ?

I tortured the stock board+led in place (so with the original thick layer of white stuff thermal glue) with a NANJG92 DD driver for short bursts at a time, I did not measure the current but later with a XM-L2 on a Noctigon it was 5.5A. When I dedomed the stock led it showed burnt silicon around the bond wires, that is when I decided not to use it. It did light up alright with my led-tester (50mA).

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 11 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 18138
Location: Amsterdam

Tonight I tried a dedomed XP-G2 R5 1A (from Fasttech) in my UF-1405 shorty with NANJG92 DD driver. The tail current was lower than with the XM-L2, even lower than expected, 4.6A at 30 seconds after switch-on. The throw disappointed: I expected over 500kcd, but got 407 kcd at 30 seconds after switch-on. I would expect that also from a good dedomed XM-L2 ! Frown

I'm not sure how this happened, apart from me plainly doing the wrong calculations, several reasons come to mind:

-it was a cheap R5 led emitter from Fasttech with perhaps by random a relatively high Vf. The current is quite low here, 4.6A compared to 5.4A in a similar mod with the same cheap led of the UF-1406 (5.4A current alone would still not get me to 500 kcd btw)

-the careless reflow I did this afternoon was too hot and damaged the output of the led a bit.

-there's a bit of current leaking around the led via the (anodised, but touching the solder blobs) led tightening ring.

Well, that was the experiment, I'm not going to finetune the XP-G2 in this mod, the final led will be a dedomed proper XM-L2 if I can find a good one (I'm in no hurry)

luminarium iaculator
luminarium iaculator's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 07/07/2013 - 09:09
Posts: 2248
Location: X

djozz wrote:

Tonight I tried a dedomed XP-G2 R5 1A

Why you tried this old sucker? Smile

Use XP-G2 S2 1A from Vestureofblood and expect 15-20% improvement, and why drive it more than 3.6A?

I think it starts to loose performance over that point if it is just on noctigon + brass. So with S2 if 20% that will be around 500kcd but even 400kcd is killing throw.

bibihang
bibihang's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 11/10/2011 - 09:32
Posts: 2445
Location: Malaysia

407kcd is very good already, don’t forget you are using 66mm aspherical lens, it’s not small but it has its limitation too. Smile

XP-G2 Vf is higher than XM-L2, thus with only one battery used and direct drive the current draw will somehow limited at some point due to the voltage sag of your battery. High current buck driver with two (or more) batteries can overcome this issue because we will have a lot of input voltage. Ahhh well… until we have a good 17mm buck driver we will talk about this again, for now a single 18650 and 17mm Nanjg driver will do the job pretty well. Big Smile

bibihang
bibihang's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 11/10/2011 - 09:32
Posts: 2445
Location: Malaysia

I used a 17mm contact board and 18awg wires to the LED, so it is now a one mode direct-drive light.

Current = 5.5A at tail (single 18650)
Throw = 290kcd (only?!) converted from 4.5 meters.

Why my lux number is so much lower than djozz’s with similar setup? I am suspecting my XM-L2 U2 is a bit beaten up, and also is it because my measuring distance is too short?

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 11 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 18138
Location: Amsterdam

bibihang wrote:
I used a 17mm contact board and 18awg wires to the LED, so it is now a one mode direct-drive light. Current = 5.5A at tail (single 18650) Throw = 290kcd (only?!) converted from 4.5 meters. Why my lux number is so much lower than djozz's with similar setup? I am suspecting my XM-L2 U2 is a bit beaten up, and also is it because my measuring distance is too short?

Direct drive wiring the battery straight to the led is always a great idea Smile

Measuring from 4.5m compared to 5m should not make a measurable difference if calculated back to 1 meter: different than a reflector light an aspheric light does not need a considerable distance to collimate, as long as it is focused correctly. 

I don't know why your number differs. There's more variation in luxmeters than we like to know, but 25% off is quite a lot. Further, the correct way to measure is moving around the meter a bit inside the hotspot and look for the highest reading, but also that should only vary a few %.

bibihang
bibihang's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 11/10/2011 - 09:32
Posts: 2445
Location: Malaysia

I am guessing it is the LED. It has been reflowed for several times and used in my T08 before, somehow it is damaged?

I can’t wait for my XP-G2 S2 to arrive and put it into my light.

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 11 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 18138
Location: Amsterdam

Another factor that may be of influence: Luminarium ejaculator has reported that different copies of the Uniquefire UF-T20 vary considarably in the quality of the lens, with a measurable difference in throw capability. The UF-1405 has a glass lens as well, so perhaps they also have this varying quality

luminarium iaculator
luminarium iaculator's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 07/07/2013 - 09:09
Posts: 2248
Location: X

Smile Luminarium iaculator = thrower flashlight on latin Smile

And not only UF T20. Performance vary even among premium aspherics like Dereeligh, Crelant and Tiablo. Deree NMV2 and Tiablo are same size lenses with different focal lenght.

2 lottery things happens when you buying aspherics lights:

1. Aspherical lenses lottery +- up to 15%

2. Emitter lotter +- up to 15%

 

So if you can get at least +10% with selection of lenses + 10% on hand selected emitter that is killer combination.

 

Djozz you are BLF if you ask me. So much work with pictures is facinating.

Could you test performance of emitters on noctigon + regular brass pills? I really think XP-G2 starts loosing performance if driven over 3,5A on generic brass pill. In fact I don't see sense driving it over 3A for single nanjg.

 

 

 

 

 

bibihang
bibihang's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 11/10/2011 - 09:32
Posts: 2445
Location: Malaysia

I just realized one thing that I didn’t use copper-braid on my switch’s spring.

So I went on and used a pair of tweezer to short out the tail (reduce resistance) and this time i got 310kcd. I think the tweezer did not give enough contact too, maybe with copper-braid on it I can get even higher reading if not close to djozz’s one. Big Smile

luminarium iaculator
luminarium iaculator's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 07/07/2013 - 09:09
Posts: 2248
Location: X

Try silicone flexible 22awg wire(noodle) instead of copper braid.

Much easier to solder than copper braid(at least to me) and spring remains relativley flexible.

bibihang
bibihang's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 11/10/2011 - 09:32
Posts: 2445
Location: Malaysia

I used wires before I bought copper braid. I think in terms of flexibility they are about the same, only thing is with the copper braid you can’t let the solder flowing through the whole braid otherwise the whole copper braid will become very stiff.

M4D M4X
M4D M4X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 03/19/2014 - 05:17
Posts: 8821
Location: Austria (GMT + 1)

thats what happens to me when braiding… Sad

either it won´t stick to the spring or it turns into a massive monument… Big Smile

PLEASE NOTE
i do not work in "reviews, deals and codes" for the time being
maybe M4D M4X will return one day, but until then:

THANK YOU FOR YEARS OF YOUR SUPPORT AND FRIENDLY CONTACTS!

bibihang
bibihang's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 11/10/2011 - 09:32
Posts: 2445
Location: Malaysia

My way of doing is nothing special at all, put some flux just on the tip of the braid because this is where you gonna attach it on the spring, when you put your soldering iron on it remember to release your iron quick enough to prevent excessive solder flowing into the braid.

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 16 min ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 15042
Location: LI NY

I've done a ton of mods with braid - many failed over time. Now, I use nothing but wire - either 22 AWG if I can, or 24 AWG. I haven't seen one wired spring fail yet. The wire insulation acts as a barrier to prevent the flux creep down the wire, and the insulation also keeps the wire from breaking with heavy use of flexing. If you use lots of solder at the top of the wire (top of spring) like I do, even if the solder comes off the spring, chances are the wire will still be making contact with the battey. The braid failure I've had is usually from it breaking in the middle, so it does seem to break the braid connection, even on compression - it seems like.

Vakeiros
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 11/14/2014 - 16:35
Posts: 9
Location: Vaqueiros, Portugal

Hi guys, I’m a bit new to this torch thing, however I’ve lot’s of experience in electronics field.

I read this thred from top to bottom and I’m about to buy this 1405 torch.

so I’m settled at the torch and I would like to go with the XP-g2 s2 1a (noctigon star) @ 3.6A, so my guess I’ve to try if there’s a good driver to handle 2*26650 right? any reccomendation here?

about these 26650 batteries what do you recommend? I don’t have any so I want to buy some good ones…

best regards

ryanferg
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 08/26/2012 - 23:46
Posts: 143
Location: Houston, TX

Vakeiros wrote:
Hi guys, I’m a bit new to this torch thing, however I’ve lot’s of experience in electronics field.

I read this thred from top to bottom and I’m about to buy this 1405 torch.

so I’m settled at the torch and I would like to go with the XP-g2 s2 1a (noctigon star) @ 3.6A, so my guess I’ve to try if there’s a good driver to handle 2*26650 right? any reccomendation here?

about these 26650 batteries what do you recommend? I don’t have any so I want to buy some good ones…

best regards

Simply put, there are not buck drivers that will fit (17mm) and will deliver the power you’re looking for (+2.4a) that are available without making modifications (to my knowledge) . Many of the folks running high amperage drivers in this thread are doing so with 1 battery, either through dummy cells or by cutting the light down.

Vakeiros
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 11/14/2014 - 16:35
Posts: 9
Location: Vaqueiros, Portugal

ryanferg wrote:
Vakeiros wrote:
Hi guys, I’m a bit new to this torch thing, however I’ve lot’s of experience in electronics field.

I read this thred from top to bottom and I’m about to buy this 1405 torch.

so I’m settled at the torch and I would like to go with the XP-g2 s2 1a (noctigon star) @ 3.6A, so my guess I’ve to try if there’s a good driver to handle 2*26650 right? any reccomendation here?

about these 26650 batteries what do you recommend? I don’t have any so I want to buy some good ones…

best regards

Simply put, there are not buck drivers that will fit (17mm) and will deliver the power you’re looking for (+2.4a) that are available without making modifications (to my knowledge) . Many of the folks running high amperage drivers in this thread are doing so with 1 battery, either through dummy cells or by cutting the light down.

well I guess I’ll have to wait for the torch and than see what can I do on it.

I’ve a fairly large workshop with Drill press, band saw, lathe, CNC milling machine and lot’s of other stuff so even if I need to make a new pill or something I can do it.

meanwhile I’ll be reading lot’s of threads here on this forum Wink

what about the batteries what should i get?

luminarium iaculator
luminarium iaculator's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 07/07/2013 - 09:09
Posts: 2248
Location: X

Try to make us your version of wavien collar for this light.

Borg from Romania managed to make it but he affraids to sell it. He thinks that wavien will persue him if he sell me one over BLF pm system Smile

I cant talk him to sell me few of those. When you will stuck into this hobby and since you have so much machines please try to make something similar as Borg at this thread post 51 http://budgetlightforum.com/node/19752?page=1

 

 

 

 

Vakeiros
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 11/14/2014 - 16:35
Posts: 9
Location: Vaqueiros, Portugal
luminarium iaculator wrote:

Try to make us your version of wavien collar for this light.

Borg from Romania managed to make it but he affraids to sell it. He thinks that wavien will persue him if he sell me one over BLF pm system Smile

I cant talk him to sell me few of those. When you will stuck into this hobby and since you have so much machines please try to make something similar as Borg at this thread post 51 http://budgetlightforum.com/node/19752?page=1

 

 

 

 

well I think It’s not hard to do, what aperture would you like?

another thing, I didn’t quite understood how the ring attaches to the pill!?

Billy X
Billy X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 02/03/2013 - 05:50
Posts: 557
Location: South of France

Hi Vakeiros Welcome to BLF.For batteries, if it is a buck(voltage step down)driver(2 cells,1 led,it must be)it should take care of any voltage sag so just go for capacity ie panasonic NCR18650B 3.4Ah.Do not be tempted by xxxfire batteries,how much is a recycled,5 year old,originally 2Ah,now 0.4Ah,rewrapped,second hand cell worth.They would not lie like that?Yes they do!Been there,done it,do not go there :bigsmile: Drivers:Look at the LD range at CNQG One of these drivers is on in out In out is a quality,reliable store,CNQS is ok…never really let me down.With your skills and the BLF search box,top left,(I have seen sense resistor mod threads already)I’m sure you can do iwhat you want with your eyes closed.Nopressure :bigsmile:

Vakeiros
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 11/14/2014 - 16:35
Posts: 9
Location: Vaqueiros, Portugal
Billy X wrote:
Hi Vakeiros Welcome to BLF.For batteries, if it is a buck(voltage step down)driver(2 cells,1 led,it must be)it should take care of any voltage sag so just go for capacity ie panasonic NCR18650B 3.4Ah.Do not be tempted by xxxfire batteries,how much is a recycled,5 year old,originally 2Ah,now 0.4Ah,rewrapped,second hand cell worth.They would not lie like that?Yes they do!Been there,done it,do not go there :bigsmile: Drivers:Look at the LD range at CNQG One of these drivers is on in out In out is a quality,reliable store,CNQS is ok…never really let me down.With your skills and the BLF search box,top left,(I have seen sense resistor mod threads already)I’m sure you can do iwhat you want with your eyes closed.Nopressure :bigsmile:

Thanks Billy, I know those panasonic (have about ten of them, I’ve some 18650 torches for general use and for nightvision setups) but I want some good quality 26650. About that trustire batteries yes, I’d learn the lesson on the hard way… i was happy with those until i tried those panasonic… XD

the intl-outdoor I use to buy noctigon stars from them (I solder the led’s my own, I’ve LOTs of electronics equipment from osciloscopes to computer chips reballing including hot airgun for reflowing :P) and they are great guys! I’ll take a look at those drivers for sure! that’s some nice info, Thanks!

and you guys now, if you need something you suspect i can make please ask!

regards

Vakeiros
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 11/14/2014 - 16:35
Posts: 9
Location: Vaqueiros, Portugal

on batteries I’m tempted to try these, anyone tried those?

ryanferg
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 08/26/2012 - 23:46
Posts: 143
Location: Houston, TX

Make sure to keep an eye on driver diameter, you only have so much space

Vakeiros
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 11/14/2014 - 16:35
Posts: 9
Location: Vaqueiros, Portugal
ryanferg wrote:
Make sure to keep an eye on driver diameter, you only have so much space

can someone tell me if the UF-1405 pill is the same as the uf-1406?

I have a 1406 torch and just disassembled it and took a look at the Pill and the pill is really easy to mod for a 20mm driver, have the space and like I said it’s easy…

I’ll try to get a piece of cooper and machine a new custom pill for these torches… I’m really excited on this now XD you guys are making me an addict on this already XD

I guess I have to stop reading this forum… ahahahha

regards

Cereal_killer
Cereal_killer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: 07/22/2013 - 13:10
Posts: 4005
Location: Ohio

Can anyone tell me the o-ring setup for the lens of this light? Just got mine yesterday and the lens rattles and moves enough it changes the beam profile, there has to be something in there to hold the lens tight right? If not is everyone just living with it or what? I'm just trying to figure out what I can find to work best cause I dont have any on hand that large. I'm thinking I'll have to cut a gasket out of a sheet of neoprene for best results unless I can find exact measurements of the o-ring.

 

Edit: found a 1.2mm thick 67mm o-ring at TSC that fit perfect but if I can find thinner 67mm rings I'd like to put one above and below the lens to help shock isolate it more, the edges are already starting to chip. Maybe I'll still cut out gasket's to do that.

 RIP  SPC Joey Riley, KIA 11/24/14. Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

redmetalr
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 2 months ago
Joined: 11/17/2014 - 12:32
Posts: 2
Location: brantford ont

hey guys,
hoping for a little info regarding moding the uf 1405
I am looking to mod my first flashlight…(sorry ) and had some questions
in an atempt to keep this on a mid skill level range in my reserch i have an idea you guys are on the right track w the xp-g2.

Q1.in order to install an xp-g2 s2 1a is it nessary to use a single battery 18650 w spacer or can i use the 2 26650s i intend on buying w it…?

Q2. in order to install an xp-g2 s2 1a is it nessary to install a nanjg driver…?

Q3. in order to install an xp-g2 s2 1a is it possable to just do the add the resistor mod in loo of the nanjg driver

Q4. in order to install an xpg2 s2 1a is anything else req that im missing?

Q5. is heat sink and pill the same thing

Q6. where is a good you tube link / info to learn more regarding moding (this flashlight lol ) for dumbies

thanks for your time
jeff

Vakeiros
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 11/14/2014 - 16:35
Posts: 9
Location: Vaqueiros, Portugal

redmetalr wrote:
hey guys,
hoping for a little info regarding moding the uf 1405
I am looking to mod my first flashlight…(sorry ) and had some questions
in an atempt to keep this on a mid skill level range in my reserch i have an idea you guys are on the right track w the xp-g2.

Q1.in order to install an xp-g2 s2 1a is it nessary to use a single battery 18650 w spacer or can i use the 2 26650s i intend on buying w it…?

Q2. in order to install an xp-g2 s2 1a is it nessary to install a nanjg driver…?

Q3. in order to install an xp-g2 s2 1a is it possable to just do the add the resistor mod in loo of the nanjg driver

Q4. in order to install an xpg2 s2 1a is anything else req that im missing?

Q5. is heat sink and pill the same thing

Q6. where is a good you tube link / info to learn more regarding moding (this flashlight lol ) for dumbies

thanks for your time
jeff

well I’m far from an expert (actually I’m a noob but anyway) I’m watching this thread also so…

A1 – you can install whatever LED you like then just have to use an adequate driver (for whatever Amps you want and according to 1 or 2 batteries). the stock pill acept’s 17mm drivers only, IF the pill is the same on the UF-1406 then it’s possible to either mod the pill for using with 20mm drivers or even a bit more, again IF it’s the same pill as the 1406, that’s an information that I’m still waiting for confirmation

A2 – as far as I know (I’m completelly guessing here but…) all nanjg drivers are AMC7135 (these are Amps regulators only, each one will limit 350 or 380mA passing through them, so if you parallel 2 of them they’ll only let 700mA pass [or 760 if they are 380mA ones] and work only from 2.5 to 6V so can’t work on 2 18650 or 26650) based so they are single cells only (because on majority of LEDs their Vf it’s on the 3-4V so there’s no need to conver voltage from 1 battery to these values). Like I said I’m not sure here but one thing I’m sure, never seen nanjg drivers that weren’t AMC7135 based.

A3 – Here again I can’t be absolutely sure but according to my previous answer, AMC7135 based drivers don’t use the sense resistor so no resistor Mods on these drivers.

A4 – that’s an non sense question because you can install any LED you like, the problem is to get a griver that match the specs you need/want

A5 – heat sink it’s the zone on the flashlight tube where the pill screws and will dissipate the heat generated by the electronics, the pill is where the LED and driver are installed.

A6 – not that i know off.

regards hope it helped

redmetalr
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 2 months ago
Joined: 11/17/2014 - 12:32
Posts: 2
Location: brantford ont

thanks for the sharing your knowledge on this subject …. I am hooked on researching this light . If any one else has anything to add please feel free to post.
cool hobbie )
thanks
jeff

GravityZ
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Joined: 11/03/2014 - 08:37
Posts: 29
Location: netherlands

Received the light form dealsmachine(took 3 weeks)

i must say the quality is amazing.
threads are lubed, no rattling.

I lubed the o ring’s which hold the lens in place just to make sure.
also lubed the o ring of the tailcap and the one which slides inside the lens holder

indeed i got .9amps when loaded with 2 18650’s so the standard driver has to go.

i got rid of the driver and led
installed a 8×7135 driver and a dedomed XP-G2 on sinkpad

will test it tonight but comparing it to my other 35mm lense flashlight with same setup the hotspot is twice as small but way brighter.
this should result in a throw beyond 2KM(got 1.3KM with my other light.)

i used this driver
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301225726107?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPage...

Pages