What blade did you EDC today?

3962 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sarri
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 01/26/2021 - 14:33
Posts: 46
Location: UK

Kindle wrote:
I EDC a knife. If it isn’t the same knife every day, I’m still EDCing a knife.

You might EDC a knife… but the question is which one did you everyday carry today, implying that you do not carry that same one every day.
BurningPlayd0h
BurningPlayd0h's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 02:16
Posts: 1700
Location: MN

Got tired of the stock blue color of my 535 Bugout, so I tried my hand at Rit dye for the first time, turned out pretty nice IMO. Used “frost gray” and had to keep it in the simmering water+dye for quite a while to get it as dark as I wanted, but that lighter dye color really let me choose just how far I wanted to go.

Included original carry bag for a pretty close reference to the original color.

isti242
isti242's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 hours ago
Joined: 07/09/2011 - 15:11
Posts: 1628
Location: EU

CH Knives CH3541 front flipper:

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Online
Last seen: 7 min 53 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 15664
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

Kershaw Cannonball 2061!

ks_cannonball_2061

I received this knife yesterday.

It's pretty good, but it's not one of my very favorites.

It has a short clip on it that I thought I wouldn't like, but it's fine.

It kinda reminds me of my Cryo II BlackWash, but with better steel.

isti242
isti242's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 hours ago
Joined: 07/09/2011 - 15:11
Posts: 1628
Location: EU

This compact Tunafire flipper lately:

Ig
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 2 hours ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 07:21
Posts: 194

Fake Kershaw Launch 10 arrived. Nice little knife. Generally I don’t like fakes, but tried to buy an original and that’s a little complicated with auto knives for non US buyers. I’ll keep trying.

chooma
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 02/04/2016 - 01:07
Posts: 792
Location: US

I buy all the sub 2” blade autos from ali because I can carry them in Cali. And there are some bitchen ones too! I have that 10 so snappy.

lampliter
lampliter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 21 hours ago
Joined: 07/31/2017 - 16:06
Posts: 287
Location: Paradise

Modded neck knife.

!necknife!

I think that’s spaghetti sauce; could be paint though.

It's only true if you believe it.

isti242
isti242's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 hours ago
Joined: 07/09/2011 - 15:11
Posts: 1628
Location: EU

Raptor by Petrified Fish:

RichH
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 07/26/2018 - 02:29
Posts: 87
Location: UK

Adahn wrote:
Urban Tartan (Böker Urban Trapper w/ Tartan Micarta)

!{width:100%}https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OE0Z7QE9XdA/YEyARqB2NgI/AAAAAAAABig/EsHfH16WA...!

Nicely done! I was just about to quote your post before, pics or it didn’t happen sort of thing and there it is.

Today, my usual really, the UKPK in blood popsicle red G10. I’ll add a pic in a min.

Rat
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 09/28/2011 - 06:13
Posts: 174
Location: Australia

DB Custom wrote:
I discovered some wicked looking carbon fiber choices so I made scales for two of my most recent EDC knives.

The Medford Praetorian Genesis T is now a C with Fat Carbon Dark Matter Gold on the presentation side. The ZT 0393 has a full slab of Carbon Fiber on the presentation side and an overlay on the lock side.

Love my Praetorian Dark Matter! Big Smile

Like how you made you own scales. Have you ever done a post on how you do it on any forum?
That Medford love it.

lumenzilla
lumenzilla's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 06/09/2015 - 04:18
Posts: 918
Location: Java

Carrying an Enzo necker today.

Adahn
Adahn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 41 min ago
Joined: 07/10/2016 - 06:29
Posts: 772
Location: SAK-land

RichH wrote:
Adahn wrote:
Urban Tartan (Böker Urban Trapper w/ Tartan Micarta)

!{width:100%}https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OE0Z7QE9XdA/YEyARqB2NgI/AAAAAAAABig/EsHfH16WA...!

Nicely done! I was just about to quote your post before, pics or it didn’t happen sort of thing and there it is.

Today, my usual really, the UKPK in blood popsicle red G10. I’ll add a pic in a min.

!https://i.postimg.cc/V6qXQgsz/63-A9140-E-D621-460-C-905-D-ECE563847-FE5.jpg!


I’m very pleased with the result myself, I just wish the Titanium liners were not flat but with a recess for the scales like on the Mnandi (and other knives).

That would add a lot of stability (and manufacturing cost), the way it is the knife feels a bit flimsy to me.

RichH
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 07/26/2018 - 02:29
Posts: 87
Location: UK

Adahn wrote:
RichH wrote:
Adahn wrote:
Urban Tartan (Böker Urban Trapper w/ Tartan Micarta)

!{width:100%}https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OE0Z7QE9XdA/YEyARqB2NgI/AAAAAAAABig/EsHfH16WA...!

Nicely done! I was just about to quote your post before, pics or it didn’t happen sort of thing and there it is.

Today, my usual really, the UKPK in blood popsicle red G10. I’ll add a pic in a min.

!https://i.postimg.cc/V6qXQgsz/63-A9140-E-D621-460-C-905-D-ECE563847-FE5.jpg!


I’m very pleased with the result myself, I just wish the Titanium liners were not flat but with a recess for the scales like on the Mnandi (and other knives).

That would add a lot of stability (and manufacturing cost), the way it is the knife feels a bit flimsy to me.

Have you tried the Slack? Quite a few of the Bokers, like the Kwaiken and Trapper are quite long and thin gentleman’s pocket knives. The Slack is similar in design but fairly solid. Laser cutting the liners would be easy for Boker, but CNC work to shape the scales is an expensive way to make a budget knife more solid. Most manufacturers would just fit thicker liners.

pirate joe 22
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 08/26/2015 - 01:23
Posts: 157

isti242

Your knife blog is interesting.
How do you know those blades are D2 steel ?
Do you test them ?

Adahn
Adahn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 41 min ago
Joined: 07/10/2016 - 06:29
Posts: 772
Location: SAK-land

RichH wrote:
Adahn wrote:
RichH wrote:
Adahn wrote:
Urban Tartan (Böker Urban Trapper w/ Tartan Micarta)

!{width:100%}https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OE0Z7QE9XdA/YEyARqB2NgI/AAAAAAAABig/EsHfH16WA...!

Nicely done! I was just about to quote your post before, pics or it didn’t happen sort of thing and there it is.

Today, my usual really, the UKPK in blood popsicle red G10. I’ll add a pic in a min.

!https://i.postimg.cc/V6qXQgsz/63-A9140-E-D621-460-C-905-D-ECE563847-FE5.jpg!


I’m very pleased with the result myself, I just wish the Titanium liners were not flat but with a recess for the scales like on the Mnandi (and other knives).

That would add a lot of stability (and manufacturing cost), the way it is the knife feels a bit flimsy to me.

Have you tried the Slack? Quite a few of the Bokers, like the Kwaiken and Trapper are quite long and thin gentleman’s pocket knives. The Slack is similar in design but fairly solid. Laser cutting the liners would be easy for Boker, but CNC work to shape the scales is an expensive way to make a budget knife more solid. Most manufacturers would just fit thicker liners.


I’ve seen the Slack, no clip, not for me.
Still I do like the Urban Trapper, it’s a wonderful knife by all means, with these thin liners maybe steel (skelletonized) would have been the better choice though.
raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Online
Last seen: 7 min 53 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 15664
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

Kershaw Terran 2080!

ks_terran_2080

This knife is a lot smaller than most of my knives, but I do like it.

It's kinda like a gentleman's folder.

It's lightweight and pretty slim.

It has a 3.125" blade and seems like a toy compared to my larger knives.

I think it looks really good, though, and it's a nice change of pace.

SerenityNow
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 02/01/2020 - 23:39
Posts: 144

Here is my WFH carry today. Glamor shot previously taken. Blushing

Oli
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 08/03/2018 - 21:03
Posts: 337
Location: United States

Gerber EZout JR partially serrated for about 25 years. I’ve made the opening hole at least twice as deep as it was originally and just a little bit longer for easier drop openings. I use it for most everything everyday. I’ve lost and found it a few times for days or more at a time but I have a spare one for those times. It’s a very soft steel that needs constant touch-ups but that’s all right. I’ve always carried a second larger knife also. For the last 10 years it’s been a partially serrated Tenacious. I have dabbled with other smaller knives looking to replace the Gerber but that meant carrying three knives and I almost never used the other ones. I’ve been waiting since November for the s35vn PS tenacious.

Hank33
Hank33's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 11/22/2019 - 16:00
Posts: 888
Location: Vancouver, B.C.

I had this Kershaw 1630 for 10+ years now.smile

 

 

                                                                                             

scalpel_ninja
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 07/07/2020 - 18:13
Posts: 235

Cold Steel AD-15, OD green scales dyed navy blue.

Current Collection:

Inova X5 | Maratac Titanium Inspection AAAx2 XPL-G2 swapped to Nichia 219B sw45K | Wowtac A2S NW | Noctigon KR4 Ti/Cu E21A 4500K + 18350 tube | Thrunite Ti3 NW | Wurkkos FC11 x2 swapped to Nichia 219B 3500K | FW3 CuTi XPL-HI 5000K + 18350 tube | Olight I1R EOS (de-anodized) | Convoy S2+ 7135x8 T6-3B | SkyLumen LEPvn | HDS Rotary Nichia 219B 4000K | Nitecore Cu TINI | Fraz Labs Tiny Tank 18350 | TnC Aluminum Deep Red

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Online
Last seen: 7 min 53 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 15664
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

Hank33 wrote:

I had this Kershaw 1630 for 10+ years now.smile

Yup, my first Kershaw was the smaller 1635.

I got it in 2008.  :THUMBS-UP:

Hank33
Hank33's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 11/22/2019 - 16:00
Posts: 888
Location: Vancouver, B.C.

raccoon city wrote:

Hank33 wrote:

I had this Kershaw 1630 for 10+ years now.smile

Yup, my first Kershaw was the smaller 1635.

I got it in 2008.  :THUMBS-UP:

Hey cool blade! Smile  Ever open it up to clean/look around? I took mine apart the other day to clean and lube. Was stuck at one point putting it back but eventually I got it all back together.foot-in-mouth

I actually have another Kershaw carabiner which I currently use with my keys. Quite handy as I always have it with me.

 

 

                                                                                             

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Online
Last seen: 7 min 53 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 15664
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

Hank33 wrote:

Hey cool blade! Smile  Ever open it up to clean/look around?

I took apart a couple of non-assisted knives that didn't work well, and I couldn't get them back together, and they ended up as trash.

Since then, I don't take my knives apart.  :THUMBS-UP:

Hank33
Hank33's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 11/22/2019 - 16:00
Posts: 888
Location: Vancouver, B.C.

raccoon city wrote:

Hank33 wrote:

Hey cool blade! Smile  Ever open it up to clean/look around?

I took apart a couple of non-assisted knives that didn't work well, and I couldn't get them back together, and they ended up as trash.

Since then, I don't take my knives apart.  :THUMBS-UP:

Yeah I know the feeling. One moment it’s one solid functioning piece. After fix/clean, no more one solid piece.laughing

 

                                                                                             

Artiet59
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 46 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 1727
Location: CT, USA

BurningPlayd0h wrote:
Got tired of the stock blue color of my 535 Bugout, so I tried my hand at Rit dye for the first time, turned out pretty nice IMO. Used “frost gray” and had to keep it in the simmering water+dye for quite a while to get it as dark as I wanted, but that lighter dye color really let me choose just how far I wanted to go.

Included original carry bag for a pretty close reference to the original color.

!{width:50%}https://i.imgur.com/keGQxbW.jpg?1!


Nice job with this! I’ve always thought about doing my blue bug out, because like you, the original blue for me is getting old. Seeing how nice yours is I may try it finally! Any idea of how long “quite a while” was? Just curious.

Check out some of my new lights (picture heavy) and quick first impressions of them here: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/77180

BurningPlayd0h
BurningPlayd0h's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 02:16
Posts: 1700
Location: MN

Artiet59 wrote:
BurningPlayd0h wrote:
Got tired of the stock blue color of my 535 Bugout, so I tried my hand at Rit dye for the first time, turned out pretty nice IMO. Used “frost gray” and had to keep it in the simmering water+dye for quite a while to get it as dark as I wanted, but that lighter dye color really let me choose just how far I wanted to go.

Included original carry bag for a pretty close reference to the original color.

!{width:50%}https://i.imgur.com/keGQxbW.jpg?1!


Nice job with this! I’ve always thought about doing my blue bug out, because like you, the original blue for me is getting old. Seeing how nice yours is I may try it finally! Any idea of how long “quite a while” was? Just curious.

Thanks! It was super easy honestly. The only stresful part was worrying about spilling any dye somewhere I’d regret.

IIRC probably a total of 3 or 4 minutes, maybe less considering I pulled it out and dabbed it dry with a paper towel few times to check the color.

scalpel_ninja
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 07/07/2020 - 18:13
Posts: 235

Blade HQ has a good tutorial. I would mix a weaker solution than the suggested 1:8 Rit dye to water so the transition is more gradual. I went with the 1:8 and mistakenly read their listed time as minutes and not seconds. The result of soaking for 10 minutes in midnight navy blue dye was a pitch black scale. But after washing it multiple times in soap and warm water and wipe down with rubbing alcohol, the color came out fine, as seen on my above post of the AD-15. It’s just the deepest navy blue possible with this dye, rather than a lighter shade. Not mentioned in the tutorial is washing the scales before assembly to prevent the excess dye from rubbing off on hands and fabric.

Current Collection:

Inova X5 | Maratac Titanium Inspection AAAx2 XPL-G2 swapped to Nichia 219B sw45K | Wowtac A2S NW | Noctigon KR4 Ti/Cu E21A 4500K + 18350 tube | Thrunite Ti3 NW | Wurkkos FC11 x2 swapped to Nichia 219B 3500K | FW3 CuTi XPL-HI 5000K + 18350 tube | Olight I1R EOS (de-anodized) | Convoy S2+ 7135x8 T6-3B | SkyLumen LEPvn | HDS Rotary Nichia 219B 4000K | Nitecore Cu TINI | Fraz Labs Tiny Tank 18350 | TnC Aluminum Deep Red

Chronovore
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 10/12/2019 - 13:24
Posts: 263

Hank33 wrote:

Hey cool blade! Smile  Ever open it up to clean/look around? I took mine apart the other day to clean and lube. Was stuck at one point putting it back but eventually I got it all back together.foot-in-mouth

 

I like to do this when I first get a knife. I get to see how it works, inspect the parts, etc. It really helps me to get to know the knife. It also lets me clear out all the factory gunk and lube it up with higher quality, non-toxic stuff. Right out of the box, this alone usually improves the action. If the knife had any grime, burrs, loose metal shavings, etc.; cleaning them up will help even more. (While every brand is different, some budget knives can be really gross inside from the factory.)

 

For Kershaw Speedsafe knives, you'll want to have some grease for the torsion bar. A Kershaw employee recommended the White Lightning Crystal Grease to me and I've been very happy with it. It's a clear non-toxic grease with just the right thickness. I've used it on other things too now but a single tube can last a VERY long time.

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20715
Location: Heart of Texas

Thanks on the compliments about my scales, never made em before nor had I ever worked with carbon fiber before so no… I don’t have anything really about how I did it. Trial and error with lots of elbow grease. lol

And I picked up a new little compact D2 blade for my EDC

Compact being a matter of perspective, it’s a 3” cutting edge with a .26” thick blade and .19” thick Ti scales. The Medford FUK, Fighting Utility Knife, oh you just have to love Greg’s sense of humor! (or not, but his blades are legend)

Pages