NEW Nitecore 4xAA XML U2 Light released!

I agree we do all have our preferences. But there’s no way a 4AA light is a small pocket light.

60 lumens is great for indoor or close up work. Not bright enough to glare but enough to illuminate well. For most ‘normal’ use you really don’t need less. Ok there are some flashaholics that might like lower, but that really isn’t normal use for the larger market.

I also like the idea of high if it’s a high you can run for the full runtime without heat issues. Also 5 modes does give you good spacing, you don’t have to use them all. Just use modes 2 and 4 or modes 1, 3 and 5.

Either way even accepting different tastes it certainly isn’t moronic.

I got Battery Junction to switch mine to a Neutral White. But , they are backordered till middle December.

aaannnddd intl-outdoor has it!
http://www.intl-outdoor.com/nitecore-ea4-explorer-xml-u2-4aa-flashlight-p-650.html
:slight_smile:
…although not in neutral (yet?)…

The 1hr 45min is only with nihm (not the ones shown in pic, btw) and few min step down. Note the 2h runtime on high.

Lumens/output also don’t scale linearly. 1AA xml is of course possible, they’re just all worse than xp-g and mostly a marketing exercise.

20 min runtime is for alkalines (as in advert) on continuous turbo. The easily lose >half their capacity at 2A draw.

I just ordered a neutral EA4 from Intl-outdoor. Picked up a sand colored AAA Balder TD-0 while I was there.

looks like a nice light to have, especially how much oomph it can produce using only regular old alkaline, and only 4 of them. but thing is can alks even sustain full output for that long? i know it steps down but i would think output will decrease quite a but after a while

I think it’s optimized for NiMh’s.

Am I not an engineer :slight_smile: It looks like they made this light just as like I said.

I think you are correct.

How does this compare to the Jetbeam PA40? I just got the PA40 as a gift for my son. It’s output is 468-490 l from 4AA with the XMLT6. I know they are a little different in configuration, but gosh how does the EA4 get to 860 L from the same 4AAs? I got a good deal from Illumination Supply, but I might send it back. How much brighter would a difference of 300l be?? Beautiful little light with nice case.

…and no battery carrier to break. A solid core that loads like a revolver.

That is certainly recognisable by your eyes. But if you mean “bright” by lux, not lumen then probably the EA4 will be much brighter as it’s designed as thrower.

As i said OTF record from 1 eneloop now is 280 lumens. 280x4 = 1120 so 860 is nothing surprising.

Sorry to be off topic, but which XP-G light can match 280 OTF lumens from 1 Eneloop?

While not a XP-G, I think this is what he’s referencing.

http://www.zebralight.com/SC52-AA-Flashlight-Cool-White_p_100.html

Zebralight SC52 (not out yet)

I wonder how good a thrower this will be, the head diameter is 40 mm, that's 5 mm smaller than a C8.

Well I broke down and ordered one. Got an email back that said they expect them in by the 14th. Now the waiting begins :expressionless:

I think you’re confused mate.

- It was me who referred to the SC52 to prove that XM-L on single Eneloop is nothing “worse than XP-G” and it is no “marketing exercise” LOL

• SC52 is already shipping, people has received the lights

Ah I see, my mistake.

How you got the 11% savings?