opinuons please, xp-g2 into uf-v3 at 2.5a(beam shots added)

Ok, just thinking out loud here, I’ve just recieved an emitter order, one is an xp-g2. I was kind of interested in matches comments about fitting one in a c8 upgrade, well I ordered the wrong reflector so my upgrade has an xm-l for now.

I was kind of thinking what to do with the xp-g2 as I wanted to play with the throw, then it hit me, why not replace the xm-l u2 in the uf-v3 with the xp-g2? I’ve already fitted the spare driver from an m10 which gives 2.5a, to me this is sounding like a good match up.

Guess I just need to see if I can coax my trusty phone into taking some white wall shots to compare…

Ok, done this, very impressed. More xp-g2’s please……

I agree, it should work well.

“why not replace the xm-l u2 in the uf-v3 with the xp-g2?”

Just do it!

-Garry

I was thinking about an XP-G2 C8 mod lately and figured that the sweet spot may be @ 2.1A.

How is the heat sinking at the UF-V3, is it a massive pill ?

Gary, I likely will do, nikanon, match seems to feel 2.5a is a good point for the xp-g2, I don’t mind over driving led’s, so I’m inclined to agree, I’m not sure the heat build up from an xp-g will be the same as an xm-l but who knows. I think the uf-v3 is pretty good on the heat sinking front, but we’ll find out.

My only real concern is the reflector is not your average reflector shape, I’ve guessed in the past its tailored to an xm-l, that being the case it may turn a nice beam into a crappy one. But since its only a case of screw off the head, two solder spots and its done, I guess I’ll soon be finding out… :bigsmile:

When i put an xpe in the place of an xre or xml it was real ringy. But i have put a xpg2 where a xre was and it worked fine but in was in a very small reflector. Who know what might happen, like garry said just do it! Nothing but time wasted.

I’ll hopefully find out later, got to take my step son to rugby training first, so I see how I feel when I get back, the reflector gives a real smooth beam with an xm-l, if I don’t like the xp-g2, I have some u3’s, and nw xm-l’s that can replace it, I’m seeing what tints I like, which this light may prove to be good for, thinking about it. 8)

XP-G2 is going to rock in that light, Gords! I think you will be surprised at how well it works in that reflector. ;)

I have been using the XPG2 on my UF2100 at 2.8a With no problems so far other than heat, don use it a lot at max though.

Since its a nw emitter, I have a feeling now that I’m going to be very very happy, I am now on a nw purge of my lights, starting with my new builds and working through them.

I think I’ll put an xm-l2 in my c8 upgrade build. Did you get a chance to try those ramping drivers, I’ve contacted hank and he said there may be an issue, some are 8.4v, he’s sending me replacements and said to keep the two I’ve got to test, I hope they do the amps because I have a couple of homes for them. 8)

I actually have been too busy to try them yet. What do you mean some are 8.4v? They will only work with 2 cells or that there is a flaw in them and they output at 8.4v? I’m guessing the former since there is no boost circuit but would like some clarification if you can provide. :wink:

Yes, hank said some are two cell, then reclarified, 8.4v input, the one I fitted had a ramping mode, but the UI was all over the place - maybe low voltage and one would do nothing (i may have killed it tbf). He said they were supplied by mistake, not on the stock list, but he has a few, I did say that if I liked it, and it gave good amps on two cell I’d likely want a couple more as I have homes for them. The one that worked only gave 2a out tail cap reading on one cell.

I’m not going to get chance to play tonight, :frowning: restless babies and I’m just not feeling it, but I do have hopes of this “off” driver, we’ll see.

Man, I hope I don’t have any of those, at least not without being able to differentiate them from the start. I could indeed use a couple of them at 8.4v but wouldn’t want to install it just to find out. Did he say if there was a way to see which was which? Should be some component difference that would allow us to spot which version it is.

Putting a 4A 8.4v ramping driver in my STL-V2 clone would totally kick butt! Putting one in my T13 would also kick butt!! >) On the other hand, if they aren't the 4.2v then they are of no use in there intended lights. :(

The difference I could see was the originals had black and red for led neg and pos, the new ones were white for neg, pink for pos (i think, I had to bell them out to be sure). If they are 4a, I’ll be begging for some more off hank, one for my trustfire tr1 (w-500 drop in style) one for the edc+ host that’s floating around in the postal network, as you say, they could give a serious poke in the arse for any two cell xm-l light 8) as I say the UI was very odd on one cell, dim out put, blinking every ten seconds or so, and I had to click the crap out of the switch to get it into ramping, then it would ramp, but off-on and back to “warning mode” at first I thought it was thermal protection as i soldered the spring then fired it up.

I think I’ll paste a star onto a lump of ally to do some testing, then magnet two cells together and tape ’em, try them out of host first.

I really hope they are 4a, although, if it does turn out that way, I might just mail hank and take a few off his hands BEFORE reporting back…. :bigsmile:

Mine have pink leads. This means that they are the 8.4V versions?

Who knows?, it certainly means they don’t have the same leads as the first three I got from the early batch.

I need to email hank again anyway, I ordered a gold edc18650 host for Mrs gords, a grey one turned up and she’s no impressed….I can ask about the leads, see if he knows if its that simple. If you have a hunk of metal, the other option is fasten an xm-l to it and jury rig to test on one cell, then two, unless you can wait for tomorrow and I can try to test on two cell and see what the results are.

I really hope yours are correct as i’m dying to see what you make of them, I also hope hank can turn out the right ones, as they are to me the best answer to the question “what driver do I put in a single cell xm-l light” and I do want to throw one in a c8 upgrade with an xm-l2, that’ll make an awesome custom jacket light.

Mine, I just ordered, came with “Pink” leads, I was kind of pissed, and I don’t know if the specs changed — let me know if you find out, JohnnyM…

I don’t know that the leads mean anything to be honest, it could just be the cores they had available, no point going off the deep end till we know for sure.

And hank was very decent about the whole thing, if anything, I’m now even more happy spending my money there as his customer service has to me been fast and exemplary.

Why worry about the pink leads? It’s only a case of belling out negative to negative and positive to positive, find one, you know what the other is, and I seem to think at least one wire went to a clear mark on the board so identification was extremely easy.

As I say one wouldn’t do anything, but I had some issues fitting it, said as much to hank, accepting responsibility for the units failure, he still said I could keep both and he would send the others in an order I have just processed, since I got a shipping confirmation, I guess that they are likely already on the way. I can’t see how things could have been handled better.

Go on spill, you already tried it? :slight_smile: funny thing is, the xp-g2 only pulls 2a, the u2 pulled 2.5a guess its the difference in vf?