www.LightsCastle.com

Accessories:

3 spare O-rings, lanyard with metal clip, holster

Other:

very nice plastic protective/shipping container

Sirius9Review

Pros:

• Finish, it's absolutely flawless
  • Mode operation, momentary ON, 2 modes that can be set by dimming, stand by = 98% perfect by me
  • Side (micro) switch, I love electronic switches at the side of the flashlight, it enhances user experience so much
  • Nice and big reflector, makes nice tight spot, almost no artefacts
  • 2 x CR123A support
  • Accepts even a longest (and fattest) 18650 batteries
  • Low battery indication and battery over discharge protection
  • Smooth and flawless anodisation
  • Smart body design, fits nicely in your hand, side switch is positioned exactly where it should be, just under the thumb
  • Sort of a “square” threads, not sharp, smooth
  • Nice thick sturdy stainless steel clip
  • Tailstands nicely (better than Nitecore P25)
  • Tailcap lock-out function
  • Very nice holster, I would say even better than Nitecore’s, definitely made for this flashlight

Cons:

• Needs 1 or 2 more modes and memory (those are the 2% that lack to make a mode operation 100% perfect)
  • A bit slow-ish ramping but I personally don't mind this at all
  • Removing the clip is one big PITA, it requires enormous amount of force
  • No AR coated lense, it would be nice detail
  • Anti roll function, what is that?
  • Disassembling the pill (driver/emitter/side switch assembly) could be a tricky
  • Conservative current consumption

Intro

For some reason I am very fond of Crelant’s design so immediately after I saw UltraFire C20 (aka Crelant 7G3CS) I was drawn to it and then, when JackCY published his excellent review I felt no guilt (like: "oh, I am spending too much on flashlights" etc.) in getting one and I was not disappointed at all, that one is a keeper.

Obviously, next in line was UltraFire T80, and about 40 days later (and couple of screw-ups by HK post office chimps) here it is, nice and “shiny” (not really shiny with that black anodisation) “my precious” :D LOL Touchdown again.

I really can't imagine what is the story behind this flashlights (C20, T80) and how exactly happened that UltraFire and Crelant share this excellent hardware but I really hope that this trend will carry on in future.

Package: (thumbs up)

Arrived in nice, big bubblewrap envelope, usual thing for almost all shipment from China, but wait, there's more, this time I didn't have to worry what will happen if my package gets squashed under the loads of other stuff because this flashlight is packaged in a nice and steady plastic suitcase. It's not something too special but it's a nice touch and it's nicely made to protect insides. There is a foam at the top side and also thick foam insert but no foam at the bottom! (I think it's the case just with this particular sample), anyway, flashlight come out perfect, not a scratch.

So, here is what you get inside of the suitcase:

• 1 x lanyard with metal clip
  • 3 x spare O-rings
  • 1 x holster and
  • UltraFire T80 flashlight

Design and build quality: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

If you ever had or you have one of the Crelant's models, then you know exactly what you will get, C20, T80, 7G5CS … have identical design and build quality philosophy, even the feel to touch and how tailcap and electronic switch sounds are identical. Everything is assembled nicely, anodisation is absolutely flawless and the knurling gives a nice feel to touch, It is not too pronounced and not too “slippery”, I like it more than knurling on Nitecore P25 that I used to compare with. Interesting, but even laser engraving is done better than on P25, edges of letters are sharper and color is more uniform.

There's just one thing that kinda "disappointed" me, front glass lense is not AR coated, although it is advertised as AR coated I wasn't able to confirm this since it doesn't have purple-blue-ish reflection/glare usually present at AR coated surfaces.

I usually don't devote much time to holsters (and accessories like lanyard’s) but this one deserves a sentence or two. It's nicely made, compared to Nitecore holster for P25 I would say that it's even better, quality is identical from outside and inside but the stitching is better, more precisely done and it's just the right size for T80 (while the holster for P25 is a bit smaller than it should be).

Tailcap has anodised threads, threads on the battery tube to which tailcap screws in are also anodised so you can lock-out the light if you desire so but the threads on the other side of battery tube are not anodised.

Tailcap switch has a slightly longer stroke, it's a forward clicky so you do get momentary on function.

Emitter, driver and mode (electronic side switch) assembly has a nice and clean design. Plastic spacers cover all important parts which is good, but if you want to poke around and see if some upgrading could be done then you are not going to have fun disassembling this part, I doubt that white plastic around emitter could be easily removed, at least not without drilling some holes to it.

I am not quite sure if the emitter is slightly off center or I am just trippin, if it is off center, that must be 1/3 of millimeter or less.

The remaining parts are known story and not much to tell about, everything is machined well, fits snug together, no sharp edges on the front bezel either.

It's pity that the glass lense is not AR coated as with C20, that would be nice touch.

There is just one annoying thing about this flashlight and it's called the CLIP. It's made of 0,8mm thick stainless steel but it feels like it's from titanium! I don't use clips and don't like them too much so I tend to remove them, but this one is so unbelievably stiff that you have to use at least two fingers just to pry it a bit and no way you could remove it just by using fingers.

(right click -> View Image)

UI

Although LightsCastle's website says "Mode Arrangement: High > Mid > Low > Fast Strobe > SOS" I was really really hoping that this is not true and that I will get standard Crelant UI with two constant output level modes, two hidden blinky modes (strobe and SOS) and infinitely variable brightness system and NO disappointment here :D so if you ever had a contact with one of the Crelant's models (for example from 7G series) that feature side electronic switch, you can skip this part of the story.

As you already know this flashlight features 2 switches, tailcap forward clicky that is only used to power on/off the flashlight and side electronic switch for mode selection.

Operating tailcap switch will get you straight to “high” mode, every time, if you want to change mode click the side switch once to go from “high” to “low” and then once again to get to standby mode. Double clicking the side switch (from any constant output mode or from standby mode) will get you to strobe and another double click progress to SOS mode, single click and you are in standby again.

Factory set high and low mod are not actually highest and lowest that you can get from this flashlight and for that you have to go to one of the constant output modes that you want to change, press and hold side switch and the light will start to ramp up and down, when you find suitable mode just let go the button and that’s it. When you reach the maximum, light will blink three times to let you know, also if you ramp down and reach minimum, light will stall a bit (1-2 seconds) and them go up again.

This way you can set both constant output levels to a level you prefer, just remember, if you power off via tail switch or lock-out the light this seting will be lost and the flashlight will revert to it's factory setings.

Consumption data

Factory I mode

Factory II mode

Highest

Lowest

CR123

2.2A

0.28A

2.66A

~ 0.01A

1.4A

0.14A

2.00A

Less than 0.009A

This chart reveals good modding potential :P

Couple of beamshots

I apologize for not paying attention that I lit up only a half of the moon :P

Overall impressions

I really like this flashlight, it features excellent design and finish (machining and anodisation are flawless) accompanied with UI that is based on good ideas, a bit tweaking and it would be even better. It is about the closest thing to perfect flashlight for me and I really hope that UltraFire continues with their genetical experiments and keep cloning more of Crelant's models :D

Potential upgrades:

• AR coated lense
  • XM-L2 emitter
  • 1 or 2 additional constant output modes
  • Memory for mode settings
  • Driving the LED a bit harder

I hope you like this review and find it interesting, it is my first one :P

Sorry for all errors, english is not my native language.

P.S. UltraFire, if you can hear me, there is one flashlight called 7G10… :D

Great job, Sirius9! It lpoks like a nice lightbut it's a shame it's underdriven.

Is this the same as the Crelant in that it isn’t regulated on an 18650 and requires higher voltage for regulation? I love my V9CS but I run it on 2x18350 IMR’s for this reason. Shorter runtimes though.

Yes, it gives better results with higher voltage but the best that I have at this time are 3V CR's.

Holy shit!
That was your first review?! That was very impressive! Great everything!
I Hope you do more reviews in the future.

That is one sweet looking light btw!
I had forgot the price. After I had read the review, it would have assumed it was slighty more expensive.
FT sells it

What everyone said above. Top review. Its also a shame about the lack off memory.

Thanks guys, I am glad you like it

Sirius,excellent review and pictorial.I especially liked the 360 degree view of the light,I have not seen that done before.I do however share disappointments like everyone else here about this light.I like the ramping mode and the side switch,but everything else is a deal breaker for me.

I highly suspect this is not a clone, but a rebrand, all the specific manufacturing techniques of Crelant are present on this Ultrafire, and anyway everything is identical. None of the real clones have everything identical.

Wow, Sirius, that is siriusly an amazing review. (I’m serious)
I like the way you explained the things as well as your pictures!
This must have taken you a few hours, thanks for doing this!!

Awesome awesome awesome review, moar moar moar!!!

Great job .
Looks like a winner .

I have wanted that light for a long time now. Thanks for making me want it more…… :wink:

Excellent review!

Love your photos, especially the 360 degree GIF.

Nicely done. :slight_smile:

One additional pic:

20mm star, easily replaceable...

First review? Amazing! Great pics. What camera/lens? How much was this light please?

Yes, more reviews, more!

Camera: FujiFilm S6500fd

Price: well, I got it with a discount so that price wouldn't mean much but you can find it for about 35$ and I think it's totally worth it, you get Crelant's quality for very good price

I plan to do more reviews but that greatly depends on inflow of new lights. I am trying to get my hands on Supbeam K40 (first I planned X40 but it's too expensive for me) but DHL shipping is killing that deal every time...

Holly Sirius, that was one Serious review! Excellent job! Do more of these and you’ll be one of the top reviewers! Thanks for all your hard work! :slight_smile:

Thanks, I hope that I will have a chance to review something soon :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for the review! Sticky’d. (Sorry I didn’t send it frontpage, the table based formatting isn’t very compatible with the frontpage layout.)