Deal Alert - 5/8" Copper Pipe at HD

Copper is quite expensive these days. So I've been looking for new forms to buy it in.

I just saw 50 foot of 5/8" soft copper (for refrigerant lines) on clearance at the HD on Harbinson Blvd in Columbia SC for $28.03 (normally $109.xx). The SKU is 256919. Built to ASTM B 280 standard. Vendor Part Number is D 10050PS.

Split open it should be 1.96" wide. Plan on using it for smaller pieces and also for lining. It must be discontinued, because I can't find it listed in their website. It's coiled in a large flat white box.

The cheapest I can get one square foot of copper sheet (. 021" thick) is $31.50. That's 144 sq inches or 22 cents per sq inch . The above is .035" thick and about 1,200 sq inches or 2 cents per sq inch.

Like this, except for length?

Yes, except it specified usage for refrigerant lines too.

I'll post if I spot it locally.

Often overlooked by most modders is that not all copper material is created equal. Many are alloys. There was a post a while back that showed how copper quickly became inefficient at conducting heat as its purity dropped.

But silver bearing copper (~1% I think, read it some years ago) is a much better conductor of heat and electricity.

Nice find. A little time with a hammer will spread it out to 2 inches. I've been doing that with my pennies lately to get them out to 20mm.

If it's 5/8" OD (I will check tonight), it will open up to like 1.96". If ID, then more. I think the HVAC stuff is OD.

EDIT: Confirmed. .625 OD

Check out the 20lb hunk of copper Chicago X has (had?)

When I first saw it, it like, made me go whoa…… Then I remembered, I can have some fun here!

Check this out

Oh wow! 20 lbs? That is crazy! I totally missed that thread.

Is that a copper house gutter you're putting up there dchomak? If so, that will look very sharp. Even if you don't hook up LED's to it.

EDIT: Specs added to OP.