MTN Electronics: LEDs - Batteries - Lights - Chargers - Hosts - Drivers - Components - 1-Stop-US Source

Richard,
My 1968 Volkswagen Bus only has a 30A Generator.
May have to call Tesla for some upgrade options before getting a MTN LITE Bar.

Ohhhh looks good, Richard! Can’t wait to see some action shots.

With fall here (along with deer season, the rut, darker skies, etc), now may be a good time to add a light bar to the truck!

Hey guys I need some help, I just tried to install a 22mm FET + 7135 Bistro driver into a X1 host. Everything was good until I tried to enter config mode to change mode group. While I was waiting for the buzz and flash, the light just shut off :cry: . I tried to turn light off then on again, but of the default 6 mode, the first mode is now the same as the 1st mode. The last 3 mode works fine.

I didn’t think it was a short because I put kapton tape on top of the MCPCB covering the driver wires already. However, after unscrewing the reflector out, the tape came off partially exposing the solder joint to the reflector :person_facepalming: . I replaced the tape and put the light back together, but the 1st 3 mode is still the same and I can’t seem to enter config mode. Any idea on how to fix this?

I already try tighten both driver and switch rings, but it did not help.

Thanks!

Edit: the component on the driver appears to be undamaged.

I believe there may be an avalanche of questions coming your way Richard. Is the video finished yet that will answer most questions? :slight_smile:

Do you mean to say that the first three levels are the same? If that's the case, then it sounds like the 7135 may have fried, especially since the last 3 modes work fine. The configuration mode blinkout is accomplished by the 7135 channel, so if the driver switches modes correctly you are probably entering configuration mode but you just can't see what's going on.

The joints should be thin enough that they will clear the reflector without any tape, with the tape just being a bit of extra insurance. The reflector will not focus correctly if it is not sitting flush.

The kapton tape is so thin that any sharp edge or wire / solder piece + pressure always means a short circuit, so from experience I would not count on the kapton tape exclusively since I have had it fail several times. The real key is to get low-profile and smooth solder joints on the MCPCB.

The website will give much more detail, but I need to finish up a few more issues with it before launching. The initial run of lights are produced, tested, and ready to ship.

I know that this may not look that impressive, but here is a quick comparison between the 12" MTN LITEbar on my Corolla (yes, I have a bar on my economy car!) and an F350 with a 30" Ridgid industries RDS series bar, 4x Ridgid spot cubes, and the high beams on with fixed white balance, shutter speed, aperture, and ISO. What is difficult to understand is that in real life, the F350 is actually bright...very bright, but I had to fix the exposure so that the LITEbar exposure wasn't completely blown out. So yes, the LITEbar really is that much brighter.

Both Photos Exposure: ISO 1000; F4; 1/60; Fixed WB

F350: High beams; Ridgid Industries 30" RDS bar; 4x Ridgid spot cubes

Corolla, 12" MTN LITEbar; no headlights.

The newer throw models have about 50% more throw than this one with a bit less flood, but I think you can see here that the throw is still better.

That’s with 1/60 shutter? Holy crap…

Haha, holy moly! I’ve been looking into getting a lightbar for a while. Now I’m glad I waited.

Very impressive! That 350 shot looks like there is nothing on in comparison.
This should be a game changer for the industry, just don’t sell out to Ridgid before we can get our hands on a few :wink:

I’m not looking forward to seeing them in my rearview window as the lifted pickup driving idiots use them on the street.

Yeah, some folks don’t think before they do. My purpose is off road. I live out in the country. In fact, I’d like to rig mine up to be easily detached so that I can take it off before I go into town. Too many thieves around.

Look like very nice light bars. Good luck on the new products, Richard.

Almost makes me want to get a vehicle and put bright lights on it.

Lol, I was telling my wife about the new MTN LITEbars last night and that we needed to see if one of them would fit the front of our Corolla Sport. It’s kind of funny that you posted a pic that’s got your bar mounted on a Corolla. What year and model Corolla is it mounted on and where is it mounted exactly?

You were right, the light worked after replacing the 7135 chip.

It has been a while since I worked on a light. So I think the solder joint was a bit thicker than usual. Also the Jaxman X1 host have a pill that seems to be ~1-2mm too deep. The lip on the reflector cause the reflector to sit 1-2mm too high and made a lot rings near the hotspot. So, while I was trying to unscrew pill to bring the pill higher up to the reflector, I ended up causing a short. Also, the previous centering disc I used was too thin.

After replacing the 7135 chip, I decided to add a 1mm copper shim under the star instead of bring the pill up.

Thanks Richard!

MTN-MAX (4S@16.8A) 2.5A buck driver.

Put this in a Z1 with HXP-35-HI and it works great.

The only thing I was wondering about is the turbo timer. I pressed 8 times til I got into the programming mod, the 30 times for turbo timer. Instead of going to high, it goes to low and stays there. Am I doing something wrong, or is does the turbo timer not apply to the 4S version.
It’s not a big deal to me whether I get it functioning or not, but I’m curious to know why or why not.

I did the same, but have it in a UF-1405 host instead. However, I picked custom firmware and 180 sec to timer so I don’t think I have programmable setting in mine. Do you have the guppydrv firmware? Is it possible the LVP kick in and switch to low mode?

Is it possible you pressed greater or fewer than 30 times? I think this has happened to me and it did not go into turbo timer mode.

It should be the same, but clicking 30 times can be tricky, especially on that driver.

Thanks for the reply.
I’ll keep playing with it and see if something eventually kicks in, but like I said, it’s not a big deal if I can’t get it going.

Well the wife said I could order some stuff for an early Bday present so I went straight to mtn. Got everything I needed for my S2+ build and some stuff for other lights. Make sure to throw any unwanted “scratch and dents” in with my order ;).