MTN Electronics: LEDs - Batteries - Lights - Chargers - Hosts - Drivers - Components - 1-Stop-US Source

Awesome test, and I look forward to the results! I’m really wondering if there are any benefits over a Samsung INR18650-20R at 5 amps.

I was looking at your Convoy S3 host that you do the triple xpg build with. The pill for it takes 16mm stars, how do you fit the 20mm star? I am looking for a host for my MTG2 build and another for my triple XML build that have narrow heads. I had been looking at the M1 for both as the pill is really nice with the screws to hold it down and all but the S3 does not have such amenities to affix a 20mm star, so how’d you do it? Please help, I don’t want to have to go “OL” and forge one out of copper pipe :wink:

Well, since they don’t make a triple MCPCB in 16mm, then in order for it to fit, you will have to sand the diameter of a 20mm MCPCB down to 16mm. I would do it by temporarily super gluing the bottom of the MCPCB to a wooden dowel, and spinning the diameter down on a belt sander. This is only possibly because, there aren’t any electrical traces past 16mm on a Noctigon. If you sand electrical traces, you run the risk of shorting one out on the copper. I know you were asking Richard what HE does, and I always would like to know the way he does it, but I’m betting that, there’s only one way to skin a cat.

Look at how he's doing the S2.

No, no, I think He uses the Dr. Doofenshmirtz Shrinkenator Ray to resize em after re-flowing the emitters.

I put the Noctgon onto a 1/2” aluminum bar using 3M auto tape, it’s 2 sided and sticks like crazy! (they use it to put emblems on cars) I then spin the assembly with my cordless drill and turn the star down with my dremel and a cut-off wheel. Lightly placing the star on the tape and spinning it slowly to check center rotation allows me to move it and get it perfectly centered, then I press it firmly and so far they’ve held really well. Easy enough to peel off when done. :wink: I use a slow rotation with the drill, a zip tie around the trigger easily keeps it going a slow speed.

ID of the head is a little over 20mm, and you aren't going to fit a triple anything in a 16mm footprint. Either cut down the top of the pill so it's flat, or fill it with something (you'll need a spacer anyway as the triple optics are so much shorter than the reflector). Then just use the 20mm MCPCB.

Well, what I do with that is probably a bit different than what you want to do with your build. I take the pill, flux everything, then fill the MCPCB portion of the pill with lead-free solder and a copper washer (on later builds) then sand it back flat. I then reflow two MCPCBs together for extra spacing, which is needed for the triple build due to the shorter optics but you won't need with the MT-G2. This may actually work with an MT-G2 without grinding it down to a 16mm, what you have to find out is if you have enough extra space in the battery tube to deal with the loss of around 1.5mm of length. That would be one heck of a mule!

Also, the DQG triples are back in stock! Got lots this time.

Are the DQG triples available in 4C also. Ad mentions 4c, 1A &, 4A,

It’s going to sound silly, DBCstm, but I left my Dr. Doofenshmirtz Shrinkenator ray in my pants and my wife washed it. I was surprised because it got bigger and now it just makes things the same size. My daughter’s calls to the platypus have gone unanswered, so I’m going to have to go with some of the more pedestrian options. (You are a parent or a grandparent if you get those references)

I put a 20mm paper cut out over the triple XML MCPCB and that’s when I figured DBCSTM was right about the shrinkenator. Comfychair, RMM, Leafteye and drdanke. thanks. First the MTG2 build then the triple. I have to pace myself, between ignorance and inexperience there lies many hurdles before me. (Lessons learned, go easy on the flux and clean before ignition, don’t steady the iron with your off-hand. -I use those blistered fingers to stabilize the veins when starting IV’s and the alcohol hand sanitizer freaking stings about 100 times a shift)

RMM I’m waiting on a refund on a return to another vendor of a doo-dad that didn’t work in the next few days then I’ll nab a grey S3 if they are in stock. It would be cool to buy one that you build but the child-like glee of a successful build has me hooked. I’ll be back for more…

Thanks guys.

no, just 4A.

Scottyhazzard, if you encounter another time where you really can’t tolerate alcohol you could look into a Benzethonium Chloride hand sanitizer. It not yet as trusted as alcohol since it hasn’t been proven through time & wide use but its use is increasing so there are some studies being done.

My fingers have healed sufficiently to not sting from the alcohol rubs, but history does tend to repeat… Benzethonium Chloride sounds like a Godsend. I have just been doing some research on the web and I am very hopeful. You may already know that Clostridium difficile is a problem for hospitals as it is tough to kill but easy to catch. We use bleach solutions that damage plastics and stain uniforms. The Benzethonium Chloride works on C. diff’, gram negative and gram positive bacteria as well as influenza and it’s used to clean surfaces in the food industry. If it does not stain clothing then you may have just solved two other problems for me and all the others that I work with ( if it continues to bear as well in further research and big if I can get the administration of my little corner of a multi-billion dollar conglomerate to let do a trial). Thanks!

My wife, Mary, was a vampire in pedi for 2 1/2 years, when she moved over to the main hospital they’d always call her for the octogenarians as very few could hit em. She had so much experience with newborns and kids with lots of medical issues that she was one of few that the older set liked to see.

51 with a 6 year old, me and Ferb are buds! :wink:

“There’s 101 days of summer vacation and school comes along just to end it, so the annual problem for our generation is finding a good way to spend it…” couple million times by now :slight_smile:

:beer:

Dale, you put that song in my head now! |(

DBCstm, I think I know what I’m doing today… :wink: Data search to compare chlourhexadine, Benzethonium Chloride and bleach. So far very promising.

Helios the song that that quote reminded me of was Phineas & the Ferbettes… (So going to be my daughters ring tone when she is old enough for a phone)

I like your better half. It takes a curious blend of compassion, art and the ability to insulate emotions at least for brief moments to successfully steal blood from babies. The reward is the punishment of having to steal blood from more babies because word spreads that someone has skill with babies…

My apologies for the derailing of the thread. We now return to our regularly scheduled flashaholism already in progress.

RMM, I have been reading threads about TK 35 clones as hosts for MTG2 builds. Apparently I have arrived a couple years late to the party. Wallbuys and DX have them but those places are Wallbuys & DX. Would you ever consider carrying this type of light?
Small Sun Clone
Cree 117
They are compact and have a battery carrier making them easier to change to series from parallel. I don’t know how much demand there is but it looks cool to me.

Edited for musical whimsy

Substitute in some flashlight building adventures and you’re well on your way! I just need Richard to get some drivers and 380 chips in….

I thought about those lights, but wondered if their heatsinking was good enough. I know JohnnyMac did a review on one from Tmart awhile back. Also, they are already setup in series as far as I know. Think one major issue would be the driver to work with the dual switches or converting over to a standard switch.

-Garry

Knowing Richard they are already on the way.

The reviews that I saw showed a nice size aluminum pill threaded into the host that did well driving an XML hard, might do well with an MTG2. I figured on placing one of Richard’s Zenar drivers in there and bypassing the mode switch unless a DrJones driver can take the 6+ volts. Probably all depend on who is cloning the light this week I imagine.

Here's the review of the TK35 Clone, but T-Mart has discontinued carrying this light! Pill does seem pretty good.

-Garry