Review: Imalent EU06 (1x18650, 2xCR123) (pic heavy + videos)

Imalent EU06

Overall Rating:

★★★★

Summary:

Battery:

1x18650; 2xCR123, RCR123

Switch:

Backlit resistive touch screen

Two side switches (Power and Mode)

Modes: 17 levels Low-High, Strobe, Beacon, SOS
LED Types: Cree XM-L2 cool white, XP-G2 warm white, red XP-E
Lens:

(XM-L2) Anti-reflective lens

2x frosted

Tailstands: Yes
Price Paid: N/A

Pros

• Wide voltage range 2.8-9V operation
  • Good throw
  • Comfortable size and ergonomics
  • Backlit touch display
  • Light level settings for each emitter memorized
  • Battery level indicator
  • Fit protected 18650 cells
  • Dedicated button for Strobe and SOS
  • Option of both physical lockout and soft lockout
  • Company responsive to suggestions

Cons

• Sample failed water resistance test
  • Elasticated 'open' holster doesn't provide much protection
  • No low voltage protection (now in development for future models)
  • Aluminium button occasionally sticks on bezel
  • No hole(s) for lanyard/wrist strap attachment
  • Some minor cosmetic flaws

My interest in Imalent products began when Buwuve posted about them last year. While other manufacturers developed magnetic twist and multi-button affairs, few dabbled in informative screen (Nitecore Tiny Monster, for example). The touch screen -- futuristic, modern; seemed so natural, yet unexplored... So I was naturally very excited when Imalent contacted me to make a review. ^_^

Touch screen technology has been around for a very long time. Some may question the choice of older resistive touch versus capacitive; in my experience resistive has several demonstrable qualities that serve flashlight better than capacitive.

Consider:

finger pressure
no stylus
gloved operation
durability
higher price of capacitive technology
cost of toughened glass

Contents include one manual, warranty card, two spare o-rings, one screen protector, sheath and flashlight:

Front and back of box:

This light, whilst looking a little unique with its squared head and tube body, fits beautifully in the hand and is actually more comfortable than some circular-tube lights I own (C8 for example).

C8 size comparison:

With my thumb resting on touch screen, the two switches are placed naturally for first and middle finger (Mode and Power respectively) and provide click feedback.

XP-G2 warm white and red XP-E emitters are mounted on opposite sides and have same frosted lens, accompanied by array of heat sink fins.

Buttons and warm white flood light lens:

Screen and red flood light lens:

EU06 red XP-E light reminds me of Terminator or Hal, for some reason.

On my sample, the power button is flush with its bezel whilst the mode button a little proud of the bezel so the two can be distinguished by touch. I do not know if this is intended but I like it.

One of the first things that struck me about the light is the matte grey-white aluiminium of the bezel. Whilst it's not stainless steel, and doesn't offer the same impact resistance, it's nice to have something a bit different.

In keeping with the rest of the light styling, the buttons have their own anodized aluminium bezels. The button tops are aluminum too, with laser etched symbols:

If you have ever felt steel that has been treated to produce a matte surface (Foursevens Atom range, for example), it is quite similar, and gives a pleasant tactile contrast to the slightly glossy black anodized body.

I tend to prefer my 'user' lights to not have lots of reflective bezel, because there are times I would walk with a flashlight in hand without necessarily wanting it to be noticed or draw attention to it.

Occasionally the depressed power button gets stuck on the bezel, which is a little annoying:

LED centering is slightly off:

A small amount of thermal paste visible on emitter dome (bottom centre):

White paste reflected:

Operation

Manual (click to view original hi-res):

Specifications:

Short video demonstration of operation:

Operation is pretty straightforward for the most part. As with the SA04, the EU06 offers 17 levels of adjustment, and four stage battery level. The cell icon will flash empty with a cell measuring 2.9V.

Also included are two strobes (rapid and a slow 0.5Hz beacon) and an SOS, accessed by holding the Mode button whilst the light is on. Hold-pressing the Mode button whilst either side-LED are active will switch the light to main XM-L2, in fast strobe.

Soft lockout is possible by holding both buttons for 0.5 seconds (light flashes momentarily before turning off), and disabled again by the same two-button press.

Backlit screen is visible in daylight:

With flood lights on lowest setting, light from the screen is quite noticeable, so it is nice that it can be turned off easily (press Mode button briefly to toggle).

To select which emitter one presses the touch screen area [MODE] to cycle through XM-L2 - XP-E - XP-G2 - XM-L2 (and so on).

Light level for each emitter can be set independently and is remembered whilst the light is off.

The head attaches to the body with lubed, anodized and squared threads, sealed with a single o-ring. There is no tailcap per se. Knurling near the tail could be improved. It's not difficult to grip nor slippery though.

Some cosmetic imperfections:

Gold colour spring inside just visible:

Spring at the head:

Inside the battery tube, the first 40mm or so is wider than the rest of the tube. I am not sure why this is gap exists. I did not notice any rattle using unprotected 18650 cells but RCR123/CR123 users may prefer a narrower tube.

Cell resting on step inside:

At the tail end there is 3/8" UNC threading for attaching the light to a tripod:

Whilst I don't envisage needing to fit the light to a tripod, the threading is a nice feature in leiu of tailcap switch or magnet and could also be used for accessories (e.g. impact/glass breaker stud, or lanyard attachment loop).

Both my compact cameras and stand have 1/4" threading, which I'd prefer. 1/4" - 3/8" adapters are available.

The holster

The holster is good quality construction but I found it a little fiddly to use due to the elastic sides. I would prefer a holster that sheathed most of the light to protect the light from knocks and wear. Some sheaths have additional padding. Here protection provided by two layers of webbing.

Two pieces of elastic that form part of the sheath:

The holster offers little protection for the screen in this position:

A large part of velcro cannot be used (the flap aligns with just under half the length):

It is trickier to insert the light 'lens down' due to the elastic sides:

Beamshots

White wall beamshots at 1 metre, 100 ISO with auto white balance.
Cool white XM-L2, highest:

Cool white XM-L2, lowest:

XM-L2 lowest mode comparison. EU06 (left) and Olight ST-25 moon light mode (right):

Warm white XP-G2, highest:

Warm white XP-G2, lowest:

Flood comparison - EU06 (warm white XP-G2) left, Preon P0 (cool white XP-E) right:

Red XP-E flood, highest:

Red XP-E, lowest:

For these outdoor shots I am using evaluative white balance and 400 ISO which seems a little more accurate reflection of the diverse range of lighting as it appears. Mouse-over for control shot.

Outdoors, it throws quite far, impressive for its size (the tree it is pointed at is 117 metres/128 yards away):

Lighting up the nearby tree with its spill:

For comparison, the XinTD X3 lighting the tree to the left, which is further away at 133 metres (146 yards):

EU06 red flood light on highest setting; this tree is at least 5 metres away:

Testing and measurements

Highest mode is considered 'Turbo' and after seven minutes steps down automatically to 15/17 level (approx 88% of Turbo):

On 16/17 behaviour is a little different. It is possible to get near Turbo output (approx. 98%) for much longer, and a respectable 70 minutes of gradually dimming output before it begins stepping down. The blue traces are infrared temperature of the hottest part of the flashlight body.

Low power

Whilst there is no low voltage protection, this is only an issue if leaving the light unattended. By the time the cell reaches 2.9V it already steps down to very low output, and one can simply turn the screen on to see battery level is empty.

According to the manual, "When the power indicator symbol blinks rapidly, it indicates the remaining power can only last 15 minutes."

Length is 150.9mm, diameter of head is 39mm at widest part. Weight with a 18650 cell is just over 200g.

Main lens diameter is 28mm, bigger than P60.

Flood lens are 10mm diameter:

Water resistance

On seeing ChibiM's SA04 fail a water resistance test I had to test the EU06, and sadly it failed too, though not catastrophically (no water in battery tube). According to box and manual light should be IPX8, tested to two meters. Here it is sitting at a depth of ~6.5cm.

The first sign of ingress, I noticed output levels were changing erratically. By ten minutes I decided to check the flashlight, and sure enough there was a drop of water in both side lenses.

Water on driver:

Soon after condensation on the inside of main lens had formed (please excuse markings on bezel as I tried to open from this end with wrench).

Every cloud has a silver lining, they say. Here is the other side of driver PCB in detail:

[removed on request]

One bag of rice to absorb moisture:

Three days later the light seems to be dried out and is working but the screen does not feel like it performs quite as it did before.

You can see here the changing output whilst underwater:

Erratic behaviour of touch screen thanks to a wet driver:

Conclusion

So aside from the water issue this light is a nice all-rounder and covers a lot of bases. There is always room for improvement and fortunately Imalent seem very receptive to my feedback.

Where the light loses points in quality control and water resistance failure, it makes up for it in cool technology factor. Just glancing back at an earlier model DD2R shows a lot of progress made. Let's hope Imalent can iron out the QC problems so we can look forward to more exciting lights.

Thanks for reading! ^_^シ

Interesting Light. I like the Multi-Light designs that have multiple emitters and capabilities/modes, as this one had a red flood & warm white flood side lights, and the front main throw light. ( reminiscent of the design of the custom one i built) The touch screen is a bit to gimmicky, (though cool) seems like an unnecessary extra power drain and fragile part to break maybe.

Thanks Chloe for the review. The technology used here will be fool proof one day.

Very helpful and honest review of an interesting new technology light, thank you! :)

Nice! Thanks for doing the water test.

Thanks for the test Chloe. :slight_smile:

Hmm… :frowning:

Thanks for your immaculate review of this unusual light.

I like that it has the ww and red flood lights on the side (reminds me of some BLF-from-scratch-build lights), especially the ww light while tailstanding I would use regularly, and nice that they also use a decent xpe(2?) for red that gives a very nice beam, instead of a 5mm through-hole led you see mostly.

Is your 4-star rating 4 out of 4, or 4 out of 5? That is not clear, I would guess 4 out of 5 with the list of issues that this light has.

Unfortunately I do not like the design a bit, and still think that touch-screen operation of a flashlight is a sure sign of our declining civilisation but that is all a matter of taste :-D

Wow, excellent review. Interesting light. Thank you :)

Thank you Chloe for the fabulous review!!

Can we maybe setup a group buy on Banggood?

Thanks Chloe. Nice review.

Chloe has to many reviews. Posted in the wrong review.