Review: Imalent EU06 405nm UV edition (1x18650, 2xCR123)

Imalent EU06 405nm UV edition

Following on from my previous EU06 review:

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/28083

Imalent have created two new versions of EU06 with a UV LED in place of the red XP-E flood light, offering choice of 365nm or 405nm wavelengths. This review is of the latter. Retail price of both UV lights are USD 99.95.

Since many aspects of the flashlight remain the same I will focus mostly on differences, of which there are several.

Firstly, in response to my feedback Imalent revised the tailcap so it has additional grip to facilitate removal, and with larger threading now accomodating 1/4" UNC (earlier models were 3/8" UNC).

The tailcap is quite stiff and whilst removable, I don't think it is intended to be removed often (i.e. for changing cell):

1/4" UNC screw from my SLIK tripod fits but is a little too long (it is meant to fit cameras):

It's a small detail but would be nice if it could fit all the way so the light can be supported by the plate.

The flashlight with new tailcap measures only slightly longer (0.5mm):

Also updated are the side switches; now bezels will be bevelled slightly (shown above):

Emitter centering is perfect, and with a white centering spacer instead of black:

In this sample I was able to remove the main bezel with help of a large wrench. The reflector feels too light to be aluminium, but still good quality, and appears machined on the outer surface rather than molded:

Inside star is visible; note the glue sealing wires to switch:

Beamshots

White wall beamshots at 1 metre, 100 ISO.

Comparing XM-L2 beams at 1 metre it is difficult to discern which is which. You may recall the first EU06 sample had a little thermal paste on the emitter dome and was positioned off-centre.

EU06#1 (with red XP-E) XM-L2 Turbo mode:

EU06#2 (with 405nm UV) XM-L2 Turbo mode:

XM-L2 tint comparison, Turbo mode, using Daylight white balance (EU-06 red left, UV right):

UV flood, Turbo mode:

This tree, approx. 5 metres away, is not an ideal subject for this UV light due to low fluorescence, but gives an indication of its power:

Control:

Something I should mention is the PWM when in UV mode, it is subtle but noticeable to my eyes.

I usually do not notice PWM until I use a camera. Here it is the opposite. I had difficulty capturing it, however.

Other measurements

Since the UV is flood light I measured the output in a 30cm integrating sphere. For reference, the 3xAAA 21 UV LED light I reviewed here is less than 1/10th the output!

As with the XM-L2, UV light also steps down after a few minutes on Turbo.

The second highest modes (16/17 and 15/17) also exhibit this stepping pattern:

Conclusion

I find the combination of XM-L2, plus UV and warm white flood is very practical and covers many applications. I can see the UV models being more popular than the red.

Price-wise, 365nm emitters are typically more expensive than higher UV wavelength emitters, so one would expect the 405nm to be closer in price to the red XP-E version (86.8 USD), but there may be other factors involved.

With such different kinds of light in a single light the importance of simple accessible UI really bears pointing out (something I take for granted when using the EU06). It is not difficult to imagine a screenless multi-tap nightmare offering from other well-regarded manufacturers(!!).

Thanks for reading!