Cree XHP70 up to 4022 Lumens and XHP50 up to 2546 lumens - Multi-die leds.

Oh no, the new emitter is a different size, it’s gonna take some tinkering to make it work out.

I’m thinking something like this to make it fit the larger footprint of the MT-G2 but with custom pieces to orient it properly…

Do y’all think this 7x7 footprint will fit on an XM-L star easier? I have a 31mm MAXToch copper star for XM-L, it’d fit into the Olight easier with the wider spaced contacts.

Either way it’s gonna take some customization, right?

The layout looks something like this…actual sizes of each die doubled for comparison purposes when laying it out, printed sizes are actual…

My XHP70 will arrive in a couple of days. I plan on using a Maxtoch MT-G2 star. I have some .002" copper stock and I will cut two thin strips, which I will solder just on the outer edges of the led + & - strips, so they stick out a little. Just enough to catch the MT-G2 contacts. The center will have a little extra solder, (the thickness of the .002" copper, but I'm not worried about that. I think it will work. I have a light that never sold, so I guess it goes in that with a Q-lite at 4.5 amps and 6xAA NiMHs.

I'm not going for 9+ amps till I see how it looks. The 50mm deep reflector is stippled, so I hope it has a good beam.

Carclo for the XHP70

Carclo for the XHP50

This is the big 31mm star, for an XM-L. Middle pedestal is cut on the bottom to match the thermal pad of the XM-L, on the top it matches the XHP. Should fit according to the spec sheet.

Mine should be here tomorrow, FedEx. :wink: Bring em on! :bigsmile:

How do you solder and cut that finely (precisely)?

Initially I cut out the rectangle from a thick piece of sheet copper with a cut-off wheel on my Proxxon.

I cut the bevel on the thermal pad holding it in my fingers and dragging it over sandpaper. I placed the proper thickness aluminum strips between the thermal pad and connection pad to prevent overflow and re-flowed it on a hot plate. (6” stainless circle on the stove top)

I cut the power strips a little tall, then filed the assembly down after soldering.

It came out a little bit narrow, but should work fine. The thermal pad is almost exactly the same as the XHP thermal pad, the power strips will be a little narrow.

This MAXToch star will sit on about .80” of 6262 aluminum heat sink in the pill of the Triton.

Impressive, how long did this take?

It took him 5 minutes.

And now I find a copper 20mm star with DTP at Cutter. The XHP-70 is the same size as MK-R.

So he beat those 5 minutes or its free deals?

I'd pick some up for you Dale and hand deliver them but I assume they have knocked of for the year as I cannot get hold of them on the phone. They seem to have lots of the larger leds in stock also.

Edit. Amazing craftsmanship also. I would not have a hope of doing what you have done.

Sorry Im late to the party. I think I read about the MK-R foot print size being the same for the XHP70 in one of Cree’s datasheets last week. Here’s to some great luck with that new emitter. It’ll be interesting to see how far it can be pushed.

Shame they’re not open, it’d be hilarious to see you in a Santa outfit! :stuck_out_tongue:

SinkPAD has a 20mm DTP Aluminum star for the MK-R, I don’t know how to find any though and sure don’t need a gazillion.

^ Very sweet pedestal/adapter there DBCstm.

If the XP50 & XP70 have 4 LEDs that can run either 2s2p for 6v or 4s for 12v, would it be possible to run them 4p for 3v? and if this LED configuration doesn’t allow it what is stopping cree from making one for lower volt drivers?

And i have to say, i am really going to enjoy seeing you guys pushing this new LED to its limits and see what new possibility’s it will open up for future builds :slight_smile:

Flashlight is the only industry where low voltage and high current is preferred for LEDs due to the nature of the power supplied used (3V-4.2V), rest of the industries on this planet go by series connection, it's really much more simple, even if that means taking 8 of the 3.3V LEDs and connect them in series.
You can't have them all in 4P because they are already wired 2S2P, and by having the PCB in the 4S configuration you just put the 2S in series resulting 4S. You only have 4 pads at your will.

The MC-E LED is an LED which can be connected the way you mention because it has 8 pads, I can be 4P, 2S2P, 4S.
6V or 12V user configuration on 4 dies is nothing new, even if it is claimed as new.

OK thanks, i get it now.

So lets hope they will make a future XP50/70 with 8 pads then.

Funny that no one did the math.

XHP70
Up to 4022 lm at 32 W = 2.6A at 12V
Typical forward voltage (V) - white 5.8 at 2100 mA (6-V), 11.6 at 1050 mA (12-V) = 12.18 W = 1710 lumens

XHP50 Up to 2546 lm at 19 W = 1.58A at 12V

Typical forward voltage (V) - white 5.7 at 1400 mA (6-V), 11.5 at 700 mA (12-V) = 1000 lumens for 8.4 W
Now an XM-L2 U3 pushed at 3A at 4.2 V = 12.6W = 1200 lumens
Not that impressive considering the problems with multi-dye…

Not sure your numbers are correct, dont think a U3 will give you 1200lm @3A at 85°C