Building a Jax Z1 from host. Help me choose Driver/LED

Hello all. I fell out of the flashlight addiction for a little while. Buying them at least. Mostly because all of that money went toward my match rifles. Anyway, I’ve been back into it for the last month or so, and I came across the JAX Z1 Host. I got one on the way, and I hope to have it in my hands in the next 2 weeks. I would have snatched one up from MTNELECTRONICS, but none available.

I’ll be running dual 18650s with adapters in this host to start with.

My plan is to run the Cree XHP70 N4 1B on 16mm / 20mm Sinkpad MCPCB

My original thoughts are to use the FET 22MM Driver. It seems to be a great fit. I want to drive this LED at its absolute brightest turbo possible for the ability to impress and step down to a manageable level for normal use. Should I be able to push this LED in direct drive with this driver? These are the options I’m looking at right now. Thoughts?

*Custom Modes - (1) 2% (2) 25% (3) 50% (4) 75% (5) 100% (6) MOON With memory. (I like the idea of guppydrv, but there’s no way to use low voltage rampdown with zener mod multi cell right?)
*Turbo Timer 90 Seconds? I have no idea with this one as I’ve not heard much on this LED or if its ok to direct drive like this.
*zener mod (clicky) 6v LVP

Anything else I need to think about purchasing to put this all together? Keep in mind that I’m a complete rookie. So, If you can think of even the most minute detail it could be helpful.

Thanks in advance for your help and support in this project.

I would recommend an MT-G2 over an XHP-70 in an aspheric. The crosshairs would be more annoying than the honeycomb to me. 90 seconds is a good time for the turbo timer. I’d do 1, 5, 20, 40, 70, 100 for modes.

I’ve built a Z1 with an MT-G2 and FET before by the way.

I built the mtg2 and a xpg2 and i have to say i like the xpg2 way better. the form factor is better with single cell and the beam is more intense. plus the mtg2 heats up this light way to fast with a fet driver imho

Alright Luke…. :wink:

I’m not opposed to the idea of running an xpg2, but my idea was originally based off of raw power. I don’t have much concern for heat production, I want to make many luminses (AKA lumens). Obviously, I want to preserve the ability to throw and generate intensity, but I would like to throw a powerful beam with a wide enough pattern to be able to see more than a 4 foot spot at 100 yards. I don’t mind the double cell at all, as this light is purely performance for me. No concern for compact, as I have plenty of others for that job.

SBT-70 with a FET driver and a high drain cell. Perfectly round spot, larger than XP-G2.

Can you find them anymore? Everywhere I’ve looked says discontinued and obsolete. Did I say holy crap on the juice that would be flowing to that thing on direct drive?

I hear you thats why i built the MTG2 version as well :slight_smile: I dedomed the MTG2 it so the beam was more intense but still it was still nice and wide. I tried focusing the Jax z1 lens over my XHP-70 and I can say that the cross hair would annoy me, i guess you could defocus the light a bit but i still would not like it, the XHP70 works great in a reflector light though, almost no crosshair if you get the height just right.

I am pretty happy with the MT-G2 in mine.

Build thread HERE the pictures might give you some guidance if you need any.

Try Kaidomain. I think they have/had them not too long ago.

Nope, they don't. I didn't know they were revamping their site. Good to see that they are cleaning up all the old items that they don't carry any more.

Guess it's time to send messages to Luminus and tell them the SBT series needs a new led. Round die, more powerful than the SBT-90.

I hadn’t read much on these, and some of the thrower lights I’ve come across using these LEDs have seen super impressive throw numbers. Very expensive LED too, though.

Okay. Decided to try out the MT-G2. Seems like a happy compromise. We’ll see how it works out. Thanks to all for your input. might have to make an xp-g2 version later.

You’ll definitely want to do an XP-G2 later if you like the Z1. With a resistor stacked on top of the sense resistor the stock driver can deliver 4.5A to an XP-G2, which is about perfect.

I saw where on your build you changed out the tail switch. Did you find that the stock tail switch couldn’t handle the load?

I will need all the guidance I can get. Very solid build by the way.

Where would be a good place to look for a solid piece of round .75” copper to make a heatsink?

I don’t know if I’d say that you have to immediately, just have one handy for when/if the stock one goes. In theory the output should be slightly higher with the 6A eBay switch since it should have a lower resistance, but it’s probably not huge.

For those of you who built one with the xp-g2… How do you think an xp-l would stack up? higher output, similar die size?

An XP-L will give higher lumens but lower candela than an XP-G2. It will throw similar to an XM-L2 because the actual emitter size is the same as an XM-L2.

Understood.

Well, looks like I’m just now getting. Back ordered notification for my Jax z1. Email said maybe 15 days? But just shows out of stock in the website. Anyone know a source for a 2 cell host or another aspheric host that would work well for this build?