Convoy L6... XHP70 Beast!

Yeah…I saw that thread…someone,somewhere, must have one that fits?! Thanks,HB

We are free to decide on what battery we might use and and at what length; I gave an opinion.

Looking at the photo of the two 71mm batteries in a standard L6 as posted does not change my view point. Everyone, of course, can judge and decide for themselves on what may be acceptable. :slight_smile:

Do people think that the by-pass wire on both fore and aft springs can handle the compression of 71.5mm batteries?

Now I’m wondering why the L6 being advertised only fit with battery <70mm if indeed it does okay with cell longer than that. banggood specifically advertised one of the keeppower is fit for L6, it’s like emphasizing the condition it can’t fit longer cell.

It is not a majority view that 71.5mm batteries are a good fit; my view is they are not. People are free to make their own choice.

Correct, over compressing springs in general fatigues them, bypassed springs over compressed usually do not last long either. I over compressed a driver spring once or twice, to the point that the spring didn’t coil bind and stop the + battery top from ground shorting to the back of the brass pill, driver retaining ring. I’m more careful now. :wink:

Exactly, we are all free to choose based on our personal preferences and opinions.

The problem comes when those personal preferences and opinions are presented as fact, when indeed they are not fact.

Then someone else is making their decision based on statement’s that are not fact.

Example being…… “Will they fit”??

No use rehashing it though… it has all been said above. No big deal. But, when someone gives an answer to any question they should distinguish between their personal opinions/preferences and fact.

That is the only way anyone who is relying on the answer to the question can make an accurate informed decision.

KB has answered with his opinion backed up by his reasoning for his answer. That is a winner. A person can make an informed decision with info that has reasoning with it.
And even though I have been keeping an eye on the springs in that particular L6……… based on his answer I shall keep an even closer watch from here on out for any sign of problems.

So far, after a little over three months with two 71.5mm EVVA 26650’s loaded into that L6; except when they are being charged…. there are no problems at all with my L6.

• Uncompressed spring height has not changed
  • Spring bypasses are all intact
  • Measured force required to compress springs basically unchanged (“basically unchanged” = not accurately measurable)

Until a few days ago I did not have any of the newer (shorter) or longer (older) KeepPower protected 26650 5200mAh cells to test it myself.
I now have sets of the newer and older versions of the KP 5200mAh cells from Banggood, as well as some unprotected King Kong (EVVA) 4000mAh button tops from Mountain Electronics.

Here is what I see:

The unprotected KK/EVVA button tops are a very easy fit with no stress on anything and two of them stacked sit roughly 1 mm below flush with the tail.

The newer protected KP 5200 fit well with no stress on anything and the two of them stacked protrude roughly 1.5 mm beyond flush with the tail.

The older protected KP 5200 seem to fit acceptably too. They protrude roughly 5 mm beyond flush. Tightening the tail cap I do not feel any strong pressure or over-compression of the springs and yes the light worked fine with the longer KP cells. My longest samples all measure at 71.1 mm or below. Two of mine come in just under 71 mm.

All of these cells fit but, because Simon designed this light around optimal spring pressure at 70 mm or less I will continue to use the shorter cells. The older KP may not cause any issue (they don’t feel like they would) but, I’m following Simon’s recommendation anyway.

In summary all I can say is yes, the longer cells may work ok but use at your own risk.
If you do choose to use the longer cells that’s fine, but in the unlikely event that you end up with damage due to any over-compressed springs or undue pressure on the driver just buy the replacement parts and repair it yourself. Don’t go looking for a warranty replacement.

As far as the suggestion that the cell length is a weak point in the L6, I respectfully disagree. 26650 cells are all over the map in length. Stacking them doubles that variable to around 14mm difference between a stack of the shortest and a stack of the longest. To design for that big a variable you have to make the design less than optimal which is much less acceptable IMO than asking buyers to stick to a certain approximate cell length.

The only real competitor to the L6 is the Thorfire S70 and just for comparison I tried the longer KP cells in it and they protrude roughly 9 mm from the tail and threading the tail cap on I felt like I was putting way too much pressure on the internals so I think Simon found a nice balance with his design.

Cheers all! :beer:

” just buy the replacement parts and repair it yourself. Don’t go looking for a warranty replacement.”
Where can one buy parts for this L6?… I can’t see any parts for this light on Aliexpress.?Thanks HB

Thank you for a detailed explanation of your opinion. :slight_smile:

Exactly !!! … :+1: … :beer::smiley:

:wink:

EDIT: Yep, that kind of detail give’s someone looking for information something, of substance; to think about. :+1:

As for me, I am just gonna leave those two 71.5mm cells in that particular L6 full time; except when I take them out to recharge… and see if anything bad happens over time.
I have all confidence it will not……… but time will tell if that “opinion” of mine turns out to be fact or not. :wink:

Just message Simon via AliExpress and he’ll tell you if he has what you need (probably will :wink: )

Thanks J-Dub74, I will look for 70mm or less battery.

Thanks…HB

I hear people say to me “But that’s just YOUR opinion!”

And my answer? But of course, I can hardly give you YOUR opinion, now can I? We all see things from our own perspective, our own experience, so we call it like we see it. Absolutely natural and I don’t see how we could be expected to do anything else. Then again, I guess there are those followers that always quote someone else, having no experience of their own to form an opinion. Still, we must all weigh things with the proverbial grain of salt and do our own testing to find what works well for us, in our own situation. Only then will be know without outside bias what to choose for our requirements.

I like using big truck batteries with OOO cables wherever possible. :slight_smile:

The Convoy L6 is fantastic flashlight with superb design and production capability. The problem for consumers is finding batteries that are optimum for the weight of two 26650 batteries moving inside a tube during shock or concussion. This is a point where optimum spring size becomes more specific. The concept of spring tolerances should be more than a ‘fail point’, it should also be one for the transfer of weight within parameters.

My concern about battery size has to do with shock and concussion from simple drops that this 752gr. light might encounter. :slight_smile:

Do you have children? Do you drop them?

Don’t drop the flashlight! EVERYBODY knows that’s bad! :stuck_out_tongue:

Spring collapse at impact might break contact and cause a mode change, pretty much nothing worse than that. The bigger problem would be a broken lens. Perhaps you should watch my test video where an Eagle Eye X6 was dropped out the window of a car moving 60mph onto asphalt. The light functioned fine afterwards and is still in my arsenal to this day.

No children, but I do drop things. :slight_smile:

lol, yeah, we all do… but of course the objective is to try not to drop fragile things and things of great importance.

Like, if you haven’t proposed yet it’d be advisable that if/when you do make sure you don’t drop the ring. :wink:

My partner, justpalincross, and I have been married 52 years; we eloped and left everybody waiting on the wedding. :slight_smile:

LOL, hilarious. Congrats!

Mom and Dad just celebrated their 65th. They have 9 photo’s from their little wedding. I’m a photographer, my wife and I typically take 1500-2000 pictures at a wedding these days. (See? Eloping was a GREAT idea!)