WARNING: Cometa – read/fix BEFORE inserting battery

WARNING ……… PLEASE READ!!

I don’t know, or really even care; if anyone else feels this way or not…… but we are just beginning to see the tip of the iceberg with this situation concerning the COMETA.

This is a potentially VERY DANGEROUS situation………….

Just notice some of the posts that are beginning to come in from people who either are unaware of the problem, have not been keeping up with this thread, refuse to read the whole thing, do not really understand the “fixes” described, do the “fixes” incorrectly, or just happy go lucky think it does not apply to them because their light “works’.

Many do not have a clue that they are playing with a Potential BOMB…….

This BOMB could potentially hurt or kill them, as well as those around them; if it “goes off”.

This IS NOT an exaggeration, and I challenge anyone to say what I write is not true……

This IS a potentially VERY DANGEROUS situation concerning this light!!!
——————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Disclaimer: I DO NOT represent myself as an “expert”, either self proclaimed or otherwise.

But this is a potentially very dangerous situation!

And I defy anyone to openly disagree with what I have said.

If anyone takes me up on this, please list your rational.
~
Also, the problem lies with the sell/maker for ignoring agreed upon specs.

’Cyberescudo’ IS NOT at fault.

The pictures below show what “can” happen when a flashlight running on Lithium Ion batteries explodes.
It is pretty much just a Pipe BOMB.
The pictures below as well as the link to the story that go with them are just one example…….
I realize this is a cross forum link but the story as well as the pictures below can be seen at this link:

[ I realize this was another light, running on multiple batteries; BUT… an explosion is still an explosion. ]

I already test my cometa and never got any problem so far.
1.check black disc to see if there is any possible shortage - none since the solder blob is flat enough and not touch the black disc,
2.check the driver and inner guts to see possible shortage - none since the driver and cable seat neatly.

But for safety i will tear it open again just to make sure.
Fyi i already turn it on for several minutes after my first inspection.
Thanks for the advice :slight_smile:

Teacher, that new topic about Cometa POS proves your point, that BLFer just put a cell in and got a short.

It also proves that adding posts here about it does not work
Cyberscudo should edit topic title so the danger is more clear this topic just starts to get too long to keep up.

zelee………. Have you made a washer to insulate the bottom of the pill

You are correct ’The Miller’ !!! :slight_smile:

This thread has become so long and convoluted it is extremely hard to keep up.

The potential danger of this light as delivered needs to be made plain in a very prominent place.

Multiple places in fact… so hopefully anyone that is even halfway looking will see the warning.

There will be plenty of people that will not see the warning at all or even ignore it, I just pray that none of those are severely injured or killed. Because that is potentially a real possibility. And at this point there is no use beating around the bush about that.

WARNING: SEE MY THREAD!!!

THIS IS A DANGEROUS LIGHT! IT SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN MADE! DO NOT BUY IT! IF YOU DO, YOU ARE HELPING TO SUPPORT A HACKNEYED PROJECT THAT IS ENCOURAGING IRRESPONSIBILITY OR WORSE!

Hi.
I tried to take out the pill to put some insulation,but because it was very difficult,as they had fix it with very strong force,I ended up destroying the led. :person_facepalming:
What should I do now?Any help please?

Raise a ticket with BG explaining what has happened & that you only tried to open the light because it is so dangerous as delivered that there is no way to safely use it without adding insulation yourself.
If you get nowhere with BG just raise a paypal dispute on the grounds that the light is not fit for purpose, dangerous & has been falsely advertised as the star, led wires & driver is not the same as in the advert.

+1000
:slight_smile:

And how can I raise such a ticket?

If I remember correctly, log in to your BG account, go to your orders, go to your Cometa order & you will find the option to raise a ticket :wink:

Or if that fails, go to Solving Problems with a Purchase | PayPal US

I know that there are XPL Hi leds,in two versions,the V2,and the V3.Which of the two exists in the Cometa?

The bottom line is this light, as it was delivered to the customer; is potentially very dangerous.

It makes exactly zero difference if it was a group buy or not.

The specs that ‘Cyberscudo’ specified were ignored. That is fact. There is no excuse for that.

The ignoring of the specs is what has caused the majority of the problems with the COMETA. If you delete those problems what you have left is just pretty much normal. A few partially broken lights, a few DOA, and the normal unexpected things that pop up.

Profit margins are not an excuse, changes IF there were any in original specs are not an excuse, price point is not an excuse.
Nothing is an excuse for this light not being built to the final specs ‘Cyberscudo’ says were specified and agreed upon.

The seller/maker agreed upon the price, I assume no one twisted their arm.

IF, there was something added after the price was agreed upon it is the sellers/makers responsibility to adjust their price and make a new agreement; if they feel they need to. That should not be hard to understand.

There is really no placing blame here either, it is cut and dried.

If ‘Cyberscudo’ is telling the truth and personally I have NO DOUBT that he/she is about what was agreed upon for the final specs of the COMETA… then the final specs were not followed by the maker/seller.

As said above…. this is what has caused the majority of problems with this light.

This is in no way the customers fault.

It is the sellers responsibility to sell a safe product and this one is not safe as delivered.

Sure there are “fixes” that have been identified, and that is well and good. Many of us are able & willing to do those fixes as well as understand them.

But, there are many people who have no earthly idea how to do even the simple fixes; much less understand them. IF they even know about them.
That my friends is a BIG problem.
It is not saying anything bad about those people either. That is probably just not their thing, no big deal.

But this light, as shipped; can potentially be very dangerous for them.

And please don’t try to use the tired old argument that this is just a “cultural thing”.
That argument is just a “steaming pile of what the doggie dropped”.

This has everything to do with business models and integrity.

Hopefully the seller/maker will have the business model and the integrity to fix this fiasco.

The ball is in their court…………… :slight_smile:

This is my opinion. I could really care less if anyone disagrees. It is what it is.
Whatever it may, be you are entitled to your own opinion.
Thank you…………… :slight_smile:

I believe it is a V2 bin for output, the V3’s have been hard to source…

The one I replaced the emitter in, I used a V3 2B I had bought a while ago, I have not seen them in stock anywhere for a while…

Shit happens, it is how a business deals with this shit that defines what sort of company it is.
BG have behaved appallingly start to finish with this Cometa fiasco.
At the very least they should have contacted all buyers to warn them of the safety problems of this light & either offered to send out parts to “fix” these issues if the buyer was happy to do that or offer a refund/replacement of a “safe” light for those that wanted it.
BG are aware of all the issues as I know for a fact that they are following this thread.
If this light had been built/sold in another country then there would have been either what I have described above, a voluntary recall by the seller or the authorities would have got involved due to the safety issues (in the case of the UK Trading Standards) & forced a recall.
The scenario with this light is very similar to the exploding/combusting hoverboards that certainly in the UK resulted in a total recall & full refund for those that had bought them.
I fear that either someone will get seriously injured or a severe fire will be caused by this light.
Do not think that this is just a battery torch, Li-ions have an awful lot of energy in them & this light has the potential to be a pipe bomb.

If I order one from Kaidomain,which has XPL-HI V3 1A in stock, http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S024900 ,and find a good technician specialized in led lights,could he put it in place of the destroyed original led?

I am posting this again in the hopes that as many as possible may see it due to safety concerns with this light.
If you want to see what actually “can” happen when a light blows up, go back and look at post 1554.
It is but one illustration of what could “potentially” happen……………
—————————————————————————————————————————————————-
WARNING ……… PLEASE READ!!

I don’t know, or really even care; if anyone else feels this way or not…… but we are just beginning to see the tip of the iceberg with this situation concerning the COMETA.

This is a potentially VERY DANGEROUS situation………….

Just notice some of the posts that are beginning to come in from people who either are unaware of the problem, have not been keeping up with this thread, refuse to read the whole thing, do not really understand the “fixes” described, do the “fixes” incorrectly, or just happy go lucky think it does not apply to them because their light “works’.

Many do not have a clue that they are playing with a Potential BOMB…….

This BOMB could potentially hurt or kill them, as well as those around them; if it “goes off”.

This IS NOT an exaggeration, and I challenge anyone to say what I write is not true……

This IS a potentially VERY DANGEROUS situation concerning this light!!!
——————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Disclaimer: I DO NOT represent myself as an “expert”, either self proclaimed or otherwise.

But this is a potentially very dangerous situation!

And I defy anyone to openly disagree with what I have said.

If anyone takes me up on this, please list your rational.
~
Also, the problem lies with the sell/maker for ignoring agreed upon specs.

’Cyberescudo’ IS NOT at fault.

just a simple washer about 1 mm for safety reason
but my cometa isn’t as bright as my A6 or it just me?