*BLF LT1 Lantern Project) (updated Nov,17,2020)

@mopar, currently, only USB-C is a good connector for power transmission, since it includes dual power lanes, which massively lowers contact resistance and overall resistance in the connector.

It’s actually a very good connector in terms of power density under 100W.

Hi, can you please put me on the list for one.

Sweet, I feel like 8 hours on max is probably more than I would actually need as when it gets really dark out while camping, just a little bit of light goes a long way. I bet the LT1 will go for weeks on the lowest setting. Last time I tested the Zanflare T1 on lowest setting it went for like 14 days.

Well I live in Ottawa, but my parents are in TO. So I would go back on the long weekends or things like xmas holidays. That’s why I wanted to try my luck with both cities and see if anybody was at either one.

Thanks for the hand waves. i’m kind of excited to get this because it can run off a powerbank or a solar charger.

I suppose this could be considered on-topic since people will need power cables for their LT1’s :wink: , but is everything this company sells also of good quality? They have some USB-C cables that seem okay, but I don’t want junk; I want high-quality cables with large-gauge wiring. I have a terrible time finding quality USB cables and would love to find a trustworthy brand that runs their own store on AX.

Most fabric-wrapped USB cables contain tiny wiring with high resistance. Are the ones linked above any better? I don’t believe any of the advertising as every brand makes similarly impressive graphics. Any tips appreciated, but I’m sure that there are other threads more suitable for this subject, so I don’t want to cause a diversion.

Has the prototype been tested with a USB-C to USB-C cable?

(Some incorrectly made devices only charge with a USB-A to USB-C cable).

I am interested in one please.

Interested

Actually, I think this is very important too. Perhaps a BLF project for a variety kit of high quality USB cables? I’m always getting annoyed with my tablet or phone not charging properly because of rubbish cables. Leftdisconnected, would be very happy to hear of anything good you come across. This is so annoying with power extenders and earphones etc too. Aren’t there any good quality brands out there?

Can I be added for a second light? Both with batteries, please.

On the cable front I’ve anecdotally gone through a large number of USB/USB-C type cables from different manufacturers and have definitely settled on a favorite.

The Anker Powerline+ II or Powerline II cables have been significantly more reliable for me in areas where there’s lots of pluging and unplugging and folding and pulling and all the usual wear and tear on a high use cable.

I went through a bunch of Belkin, Amazon Basics, Monoprice, Apple and other various brands and they inevitably fail on me both for charging only situations and for charging/data transfer situations.

As far as I can tell the only difference between the Powerline+ II and Powerline II cables is the + ones have braided nylon around the cable and fancier metal/rubber bits on the plug ends.

The cables hold up very well and for power delivery are rated at 100 watts which is the maximum for the current USB spec.

I can’t speak to having actually maxed one out at 100 watts but they hold up fine charging/powering a MacBook Pro which is around 60-90 watts of power draw depending on what you’re doing and would be more then sufficient I imagine for charing the LT1.

The LT1 will draw less than 10W, even at maximum charging rate. An ordinary 2A USB charger and basic USB cable can cover that, so decent USB-C cables will be fine.

I can recommend Anker for good USB cables as well. They sell on Amazon, and I’ve found them worth the money. They make good powerbanks and wall chargers too, by the way.

I wouldn’t even consider buying USB cables on AliExpress or Ebay.

The LT1 will be my first device with a USB-C port, so I just bought some adaptors:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B078NLG53R

and I’ll reuse my existing micro USB cables. I’ll get some proper USB-C cables when I have more devices to use them with (next time I need a new phone or tablet, no doubt).

I bought a 5 - pack of those adapters too, they work great as i have some good quality USB-Micro cables of all lengtths.

I’d like to add one more lantern to my order for a total of 3 lanterns with four cells each.

What’s the latest on ETA on these?

Thanks much.

Soon™

Please put me down for two lanterns - Thanks!

Interested

I find Anker cables, adapters, etc. to be very good as well.

Please put me down for another (for a total of 3), thank you!

Interested. Please put me down for one.