Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

Extra tubes would be an alternative to extension tubes if extra tailcaps were also available and threads are deep enough to act as a coupling as in your mod above. I’d hate to have to buy two and use one as a donor.

QUOTE KawiBoy1428 Take these… To make this… To get this… With just hand tools! 2S3P Courui D01. BLF Baby,Modding isn’t dead UNQUOTE

Absolutely wonderful work! I love it!

Please add me to the interest list for one. Thanks

Mark me down as interested. Nichia really interested

How did you mad this?
Have you only shorten the threads on the battery tubes to the half?
Or did you tapped the thread on the tubes a little deeper?
Becaus the tailcap isnt wide enough for the threads of two battery tubes.
Can you unscrew it and make one more picture of the threads on the final batterytubes and the connecting ring (old tailcap) ?
… sorry for more OT. But It could be a good modding option for this flashlight too.

We know the advantages of extension tubes. Still it is not on the specs list since we focus on the light.
Good threads are however high on the priority list because a major goal is to make it both worthy as doable to mod it.

At this early stage the option for charging is on the list, and in such a way it does not compromises the quality of the light itself. We have thus pointed to the Dipper/Convoy BD0x series with clip on charging port that externalises the micro USB port, keeps the light use able during charging and does not compromises the water resistance.
This should make for a very nice addition where the Q8 can be used as work light or for example video/photo light, without the usual drawbacks of charging like rubber USB covers.
However to be honest it is marked “negotiable” and is mutual exclusive with the design of a lighted switch as the S70 white cover had. It would also add a lot of parts and an expensive extra clipon button with build in micro USB port and well we are striving for a light build rock solid, having expensive inner parts for a price about half of what the current higher quality soda/soup can lights offer hence the “negotiable” :wink:

Barry wrote in an email:
“gonna take high speed train to … talk with engineer department”
It took me a few moments to realize he did not mean this figurally but literal lol.

I would like to buy one. Please put me on the list.

Please add me to the list. Thank you for your hard work on this!

OP updated

I am 119 on list , please update quantity to two pieces, thanks

ken

The Miller

Just a few notes to the current OP.

LEDs:
I’d add Cree XPL (doomed). If we are going to make flooder it wins over XPL HI imo.
Copper DTP stars won’t work for Nichia (afaik there are no thermal pads in these leds but only “+” and “-” contact pads)

Internals:
Side button must contain (half)transparent elements. In many MODs driver uses rgb led under sidebutton to show different info (mode, overheating, battery level etc)

GUI and user input modes:
Please add possibility to lock flashlight by side button to prevent accidental ON. Usefull for powerfull lights and already mentioned at the bottom of OP

I’m against charging options:

- simple microUSB wont work for us. we should supply relatively high current to charge 4P cells. even 1A per cell = 4A in total.

• complicated charge system will cost a lot and still might not be effective/usefull.

Yes! I’ve said it earlier in the thread and it got buried, but its true. XP-L HD (domed) emitters are more efficient than HIs. If monster flood is the goal anyway and HD emitters fit under the optics being used, they’re the most logical choice. XP-L HIs are all the rage right now and they’re great for a lot of applications, but not every application. And I don’t think they’re right for this one.

Not true. Yes Nichia makes some emitters without thermal pads but the emitters in question here, 219c’s, do have them. They’re direct replacements for use Cree XP-sized (3535) mcpcbs.

@strango, thanks for the input. Most subjects have our attention. Especially we are aware of the complications that come with internal charging.

Btw, the Nichia 119 series have no thermal pad, the Nichia 219 series do have a thermal pad and the standard 3535 (XP) solder pattern.

The emitter choice(s) is not made yet. XP-L is also considered, exactly for the reason you mention. :slight_smile:

In my current Narsil firmware, I have a side switch lockout implemented by doing 2 quick clicks, followed by a click&hold, and while holding, the LED blinks quickly 4 times to confirm lock is set. Same sequence unlocks it. It's pretty easy to do, and I think would be hard to duplicate from some random hits in a bag or holster. I use it almost every day in carrying my M6 to work in my carry laptop bag, with the M6 in a Molle II M-4 Two Magazine Pouch. This military style pouch fits SRK's perfectly.

Early on when I first modded my M6 (4K-5K lumens) before I had a side switch lockout feature, the light went ON accidentally in my bag, and probably was on for 30-40 minutes. I had it wrapped in a small hand towel and it burnt a perfect 3 LED image into the towel (no flames though). The M6 was so hot, couldn't even touch it to turn it OFF. I jabbed at the switch and got it off, let it cool to a point where I could handle it. The cells were very very hot as well. Nothing damaged, everything works fine til this day. Either dumb luck, or our methods for modding, and the M6, are that good.

So, what I'm saying is a lockout feature is very important to me, specially on a SRK style light.

my bad, seems was thinking about nichia 119 :slight_smile:

great, just to be sure it will be added during the next OP update

exactly.

Yes we are on the same page.

LEDs are discussed
Button features are discussed
Charging would only be implemented in the same manner as the Convoy BD0x series (a BD01 arrived here yesterday for testing) but is marked negotiable so probably the first to go to cut costs and make it simpler to build the Q8 at our price point.

I am the last to point out spelling but this is just too funny to pass, sorry

No the goal is quality and good heat dissipation properties so the LEDs (domed or not) will not be doomed :wink:

Heh, now you can see who is The Real King Typo :smiley:

Btw The Miller: did you see the Jaxman M8 thread? They use interesting copper alloy springs, but perhaps especially made for Jaxman. (Jaxman does separately sell Nichia emitters on their ledboards)

Yes I saw it.
Simon sells the smaller phosphor bronze springs we want as secondary springs as well
So they must be available in great abundance over there in China.

When Jaxman introduced itself here on BLF I was kicking around the idea of a BLF special in my head. I asked in their topic if they would be interested but no answer. Recently I pmmed Jaxman for something else, no reaction, so ATM glad we have Thorfire as manufacturer :wink: